Solve the problem involving Rings

In summary, the conversation discusses polynomials and their properties, with a focus on the fact that the ring of real polynomials is an integral domain and the ideal ##\langle x^2+1 \rangle## is prime and maximal, making ##\mathbb{R}[x]/\langle x^2+1 \rangle ## a field - the complex numbers. The conversation also explores an example of a polynomial and its simplification in this context, and concludes by stating that ##x= \mathrm{i}## in this field.
chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Kindly see attached (reference is highlighted part)
1690385428932.png

Its a bit clear; i can follow just to pick another polynomial say

##(x+1)^3## are we then going to have ##(2x-2)+ x+3##?

or it has to be a polynomial with

##x^2+1## being evident? cheers...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see ...
\begin{align*}
(x+1)^3&=(x+1)^2\cdot (x+1)=2x\cdot (x+1)=2x^2+2x=2\cdot (x^2+1) -2+2x=2x-2=2\cdot (x-1)\\
&\text{crosscheck}\\
(x+1)^3&=x^3+3x^2+3x+1=x\cdot (-1)+3\cdot (-1)+3x+1=2x-2=2\cdot(x-1)
\end{align*}
We identify ##x^2=-1.##

• Informative
Likes chwala
...I was getting a bit lost on this line:

$$2x^2+2x=2\cdot (x^2+1) -2+2x=2x-2=2\cdot (x-1)$$

...but i now i got it by letting,

##x^2+x=x^2+1+m##

therefore

##m=x-1##

other steps follow well.

...which means that

##(x+1)^4=(x+1)^2 (x+1)^2 =2x ⋅2x=4x^2=4(-1)=-4##

Cross check:

##(x+1)^4=x^4+4x^3+6x^2+4x+1=1-4x-6+4x+1=-4##

Lastly on this just to get the drift of things, if we have a polynomial say;

##x^3+4##

then this becomes,

##x(x^2)+4=x(-1)+4=4-x##

chwala said:
Lastly on this just to get the drift of things, if we have a polynomial say;

##x^3+4##

then this becomes,

##x(x^2)+4=x(-1)+4=4-x##

Right. The ring ##\mathbb{R}[x] ## is an integral domain, the ideal ##\langle x^2+1 \rangle## is prime and maximal. This makes ##\mathbb{R}[x]/\langle x^2+1 \rangle ## a field, the complex numbers. So ##x= \mathrm{i}.##

Here we have ##x^3+4= \mathrm{i}^3+4=-\mathrm{i} +4 =4-x.##

Likes chwala

1. How do you solve a problem involving rings?

To solve a problem involving rings, you must first identify the specific problem you are trying to solve. Then, gather all necessary information and data about the rings involved. Next, use mathematical equations and principles to analyze the problem and come up with a solution. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or conduct experiments to verify your solution.

2. What are some common problems involving rings?

Some common problems involving rings include finding the circumference, diameter, or area of a ring, determining the number of rings that can fit in a given space, and calculating the weight or volume of a ring. Other problems may involve the properties of rings, such as their strength, durability, or conductivity.

3. How do you use algebra to solve a problem involving rings?

Algebra can be used to solve problems involving rings by setting up equations and using algebraic operations to manipulate the variables and solve for the unknowns. For example, the formula A = πr^2 can be used to find the area of a ring, where A represents the area and r represents the radius.

4. What other branches of science are involved in solving problems involving rings?

Solving problems involving rings may involve concepts and principles from various branches of science, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, and materials science. For example, understanding the properties of different metals used in making rings may require knowledge of chemistry, while calculating the strength of a ring may involve principles from physics.

5. Can computer technology be used to solve problems involving rings?

Yes, computer technology can be very useful in solving problems involving rings. Complex equations and calculations can be done quickly and accurately using computer programs and software. Additionally, computer simulations and modeling can be used to predict the behavior of rings under different conditions, helping to find solutions to real-world problems.