Solve the problem that involves a sector of a circle

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
Cheers.In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving a circle and finding the area of a sector and a triangle within it. The problem is solved using different approaches and the correct equation is derived. The use of specific values for the radius is not necessary and the equation holds true regardless of the value assigned to the radius.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Area of circle
1655288965159.png
Wawawawawawawawa part (a) despite being easy had me running to and fro for some time!:cool: Anyway;

Here we have;
##\dfrac{1}{2}r^2θ=\sin θ+\dfrac{3}{2}\sin θ##
##2θ=2.5\sin θ##

the required result follows...

I would appreciate an alternative approach to this...

For part (b), we have
##θ_2=1.25\sin θ_1##
##θ_2=1.25\sin 0.5=0.59928##

##θ_3=1.25\sin θ_2##
##θ_3=1.25\sin (0.59928)=0.70506##

##θ_4=1.25\sin θ_3##
##θ_4=1.25\sin (0.70506)=0.810##

Physics news on Phys.org
for a)
I can't be sure what exactly you had in mind to write but what you actually wrote isn't 100% correct.

The term on the LHS is correct (the ##\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta##) but the two terms on the RHS (##\sin\theta+\frac{3}{2}\sin\theta## are missing something. Probably a typo ok since it gets simplified in the next step.

It would help to mention the so called in between steps which you probably consider to be self implied so you omit them.
For example you use the formula ##\frac{1}{2}(OB)(OM)\sin\hat O## for the area of the triangle OMB, and to find the area of the MBA you use the given area ratio.

Delta2 said:
for a)
I can't be sure what exactly you had in mind to write but what you actually wrote isn't 100% correct.

The term on the LHS is correct (the ##\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta##) but the two terms on the RHS (##\sin\theta+\frac{3}{2}\sin\theta## are missing something. Probably a typo ok since it gets simplified in the next step.

It would help to mention the so called in between steps which you probably consider to be self implied so you omit them.
For example you use the formula ##\frac{1}{2}(OB)(OM)\sin\hat O## for the area of the triangle OMB, and to find the area of the MBA you use the given area ratio.
Arrrgh just a minute I check...

chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: Area of circle

View attachment 302862Wawawawawawawawa part (a) despite being easy had me running to and fro for some time!:cool: Anyway;

Here we have;
##\dfrac{1}{2}r^2θ=\sin θ+\dfrac{3}{2}\sin θ##
##2θ=2.5\sin θ##

the required result follows...

I would appreciate an alternative approach to this...

For part (b), we have
##θ_2=1.25\sin θ_1##
##θ_2=1.25\sin 0.5=0.59928##

##θ_3=1.25\sin θ_2##
##θ_3=1.25\sin (0.59928)=0.70506##

##θ_4=1.25\sin θ_3##
##θ_4=1.25\sin (0.70506)=0.810##

##\dfrac{1}{2}r^2θ=\dfrac{1}{2}×1×2× \sinθ +\dfrac{3}{2}\sin θ##
##\dfrac{1}{2}2^2θ=\sin θ+\dfrac{3}{2}\sin θ##
##2θ=2.5\sin θ##

Area of ##MAB##=##\dfrac{3}{2} ## × Area of ##OMB##.

This should be clear now. Cheers!

Ehm it is not given anywhere that the radius of the circle is 2 or 4 units. and on the LHS you use r=4 while on the RHS seems you use r=2.

Delta2 said:
Ehm it is not given anywhere that the radius of the circle is 2 or 4 units. and on the LHS you use r=4 while on the RHS seems you use r=2.
Amended...just check again. We are told ##M## is midpoint...i therefore used the fact ##1:1## for ##OM:MA## and for subsequent working to solution.

chwala said:
Amended...just check again.
Yes ok now it makes more sense but it isn't given anywhere in the statement of the problem that r=2. The full correct equation would be $$\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta=(1+\frac{3}{2})\frac{1}{2}r\frac{r}{2}\sin\theta$$ and then ##\frac{1}{2}r^2## gets simplified and we are left with $$\theta=2.5\frac{1}{2}\sin\theta$$

Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
Yes ok now it makes more sense but it isn't given anywhere in the statement of the problem that r=2. The full correct equation would be $$\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta=(1+\frac{3}{2})\frac{1}{2}r\frac{r}{2}\sin\theta$$ and then ##\frac{1}{2}r^2## gets simplified and we are left with $$\theta=2.5\frac{1}{2}\sin\theta$$
My working is ##100\%## correct! we can use ##1:1## to come up with the linear scale values for the radius.

Where;

##OM##+ ##MA##=Radius.

even if we were to use ##50:50##, we would end up with;

##1250θ=625\sin θ+ 937.5\sin θ##

##θ=1.25\sin θ##

In essence, any ratio of form ##x:x## with radius =##2x## will work.

Last edited:
What you saying is correct but I don't understand why you have to replace ##r## by some specific value, let it be 50 or 100...

Delta2 said:
What you saying is correct but I don't understand why you have to replace ##r## by some specific value, let it be 50 or 100...
I agree with you...I was just trying to state that it's possible to come up with values for the radius and work to the solution...you questioned that...of course your approach in post ##7## is straightforward. Cheers mate.

Likes Delta2
Yes well ok you can use any value for r BECAUSE the way algebra works, r gets simplified from the equation. But you got to prove that , that r gets simplified.

Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
Yes well ok you can use any value for r BECAUSE the way algebra works, r gets simplified from the equation. But you got to prove that , that r gets simplified.
I agree. Although it appears that the radius is 4 because of the tick marks, there is nothing in the drawing to show the scale. It's better to use R for the circle's radius than to assign a value arbitrarily.

Area(sector OAB) = ##\frac \theta 2 R^2##.
From the given information we can infer that Area(ΔOMB) = 2/5 * Area (sector OAB) = ##\frac 2 5 \frac \theta 2 R^2 = \frac \theta 5 R^2##.
On the other hand, using the formula for the area of a triangle, Area(ΔOMB) = ##\frac 1 2 \frac R 2 R \sin(\theta) = \frac {R^2} 4 \sin(\theta)##.

Setting the last two areas equal, we get ##\frac \theta 5 R^2 = \frac {R^2} 4 \sin(\theta) \Rightarrow \theta = \frac 5 4 \theta##, which was to be shown.

Likes chwala and Delta2
Mark44 said:
I agree. Although it appears that the radius is 4 because of the tick marks, there is nothing in the drawing to show the scale. It's better to use R for the circle's radius than to assign a value arbitrarily.

Area(sector OAB) = ##\frac \theta 2 R^2##.
From the given information we can infer that Area(ΔOMB) = 2/5 * Area (sector OAB) = ##\frac 2 5 \frac \theta 2 R^2 = \frac \theta 5 R^2##.
On the other hand, using the formula for the area of a triangle, Area(ΔOMB) = ##\frac 1 2 \frac R 2 R \sin(\theta) = \frac {R^2} 4 \sin(\theta)##.

Setting the last two areas equal, we get ##\frac \theta 5 R^2 = \frac {R^2} 4 \sin(\theta) \Rightarrow \theta = \frac 5 4 \theta##, which was to be shown.
Looks good...in this approach, ##AMB## was kept in the dark!:cool:

Delta2 said:
Just looking at this again, true there really was no need to assign values for ##r##, my approach without ##r## values should realize the required solution.

Likes Delta2
chwala said:
##\dfrac{1}{2}r^2θ=\dfrac{1}{2}×1×2× \sinθ +\dfrac{3}{2}\sin θ##
##\dfrac{1}{2}2^2θ=\sin θ+\dfrac{3}{2}\sin θ##
##2θ=2.5\sin θ##

Area of ##MAB##=##\dfrac{3}{2} ## × Area of ##OMB##.

This should be clear now. Cheers!
##\dfrac{1}{2}r^2θ=\dfrac{1}{2}×\dfrac{1}{2}×r^2 \sinθ +\dfrac{3}{2} \left[\dfrac{1}{2}×\dfrac{1}{2}×r^2 \sinθ\right] ##
##4θ =2\sinθ+3\sinθ##
##4θ=5\sinθ##
##θ=1.25\sinθ##

Likes Delta2

1. What is a sector of a circle?

A sector of a circle is a region enclosed by two radii and an arc. It is similar to a slice of pizza, with the radii being the crust and the arc being the toppings.

2. How do you find the area of a sector of a circle?

To find the area of a sector of a circle, you can use the formula A = (θ/360)πr², where θ is the central angle of the sector and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the central angle of a sector?

The central angle of a sector is the angle formed by the radii at the center of the circle. It is measured in degrees and is used to calculate the area and arc length of the sector.

4. How do you find the arc length of a sector?

The arc length of a sector can be found using the formula L = (θ/360)2πr, where θ is the central angle and r is the radius of the circle.

5. Can you find the radius of a circle if you know the area and central angle of a sector?

Yes, you can find the radius of a circle using the formula r = √(A/(θ/360)π), where A is the area of the sector and θ is the central angle.