Solve the problem that involves diameter of the Bullseye

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
angular method
1694235573805.png

I really do not understand what they are asking here...wording here in english is a bit confusing to me...but from similar examples, i made use of the approach below (which i still do not understand) hence my post.

##\dfrac{30π}{60 ×180} = \dfrac{0.0254}{d}##

##d = \dfrac{274.32}{30π}##

##d= 2.91 ##metres

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a line segment AB and a point P that lies on the perpendicular bisector of AB, we say that AB subtends an angle of ##a## at P if the angle ##\angle APB=a##.
In this problem you have ##\bar{AB}=0.0254## (AB is any diameter segment of the bullseye), ##a=30\ \mathrm{minutes}\ = 30\times \frac1{60}\times \frac{\pi}{180}\ \mathrm{radians}## and you need to work out the distance ##\bar{PX}## where X is the midpoint of AB. You can do that exactly using trigonometry. Or you can use the approximation that, for small angles, which we have here, tan(a) approximately equals a. That is what your calculation does.
I get 2.91061 using the exact, trigonometric approach and 2.91063 using the small-angle approximation. So the approximation works well here.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban and chwala
chwala said:
I really do not understand what they are asking here...wording here in english is a bit confusing to me...but from similar examples, i made use of the approach below (which i still do not understand) hence my post.
Please, see:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/subtended-angle.html

AB subtends an angle.jpg

Likes e_jane and chwala

1. What is the formula for finding the diameter of a bullseye?

The formula for finding the diameter of a bullseye is: diameter = 2 x radius, where the radius is the distance from the center of the bullseye to the edge.

2. How do you measure the diameter of a bullseye?

The diameter of a bullseye can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Place the measuring tool across the center of the bullseye and measure the distance from one edge to the other.

3. Can the diameter of a bullseye vary?

Yes, the diameter of a bullseye can vary depending on the size of the target or the distance from which it is being viewed. It can also vary in different types of bullseyes, such as those used in archery or darts.

4. How is the diameter of a bullseye important in target sports?

The diameter of a bullseye is important in target sports as it determines the size of the target and the level of difficulty in hitting it. A smaller diameter bullseye requires more precision and skill to hit, while a larger diameter bullseye may be easier to hit.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the diameter of a bullseye?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the diameter of a bullseye, such as the material it is made of, the method used to create it, and environmental conditions like temperature and humidity. These factors can cause slight variations in the diameter of a bullseye.