Solving the Radial Equation for the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution

In summary: F=e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}P,\;\;G=e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}P'\tag{3a,b}$$...where ##s## is a constant chosen to avoid any factor ##\rho^{s}## in the denominators of (1a) and (1b). The reason to use ##P## rather than a combination of ##F## and ##G## is that ##P## satisfies the Laguerre differential equation, which is a second-order equation in the variable ##\rho##. (Recall that ##F## and ##G## satisfy the first-order equations (1a) and (1b), respectively.)Now substituting (3a,b) into
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to solve the radial equation for the Dirac Hydrogen atom.
I'm going to be a bit sketchy here, at least to start with. If you want me to show you exactly where I am I might post a pdf, if that's okay. (Only because it will simplify coding several pages of LaTeX.)

Briefly, what I'm trying to do is take this system of equations:
##F^{ \prime } + \dfrac{k}{ \rho } F = \left ( a - \dfrac{b}{ \rho } \right ) G##

##G^{ \prime } - \dfrac{k}{ \rho } G = \left ( a + \dfrac{b}{ \rho } \right ) F##

This is about half way through the Dirac Radial equation solution, just before we would take the large and small ##\rho## limits to show that we need to have ##e^{- \rho }## and ## \rho ^s## factors on F and G to keep the solutions finite. (And that just before we do a series solution.)

It's a mess, but what I'm trying to show is that the solution for F is
##F( \rho ) = e^{- \rho } \rho ^s \left ( A(2 \rho ) L_{n - k - 1}^{2s + 1} (2 \rho ) + B L_{n - k}^{2s - 1} (2 \rho ) \right ) ##
where the L are Laguerre polynomials.

My approach is to solve the top equation for G, take the derivative, and plug the G and G' into the second equation, leaving an equation for F. Then the goal is to substitute ##F = e^{ - \rho } \rho ^s H( \rho )## into it and show that we may reduce the equation for H to one that matches the solution.

Long story short I can't find a way to use the Laguerre differential equation to cancel things out.

Much more detail upon request, but at this point my question is merely, "Am I barking up the wrong tree?" Is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks!

-Dan

Addendum: Ignore those things below. I don't know how to get rid of them.
F′+kρ=(a−bρ)G

G′−kρ=(1a+bρ)F

Likes malawi_glenn
Physics news on Phys.org
Um, why?

If this is a mathematical exercise, OK, I get that. If you are actually trying to get an answer, the speed of a H electron is c/137, so relativistic corrections are small (and better handled via perturbation theory).

Likes topsquark
Vanadium 50 said:
Um, why?

If this is a mathematical exercise, OK, I get that. If you are actually trying to get an answer, the speed of a H electron is c/137, so relativistic corrections are small (and better handled via perturbation theory).
Pretty much just as a challenge. Conceptually it really isn't much different from the Schrodinger version and even though the derivation of the energy eigenvalue was a bit more "strenuous" than I had expected, it wasn't all that bad. The angular part is pretty straightforward as well. I just can't seem to finish out the radial part.

It would seem that most of the internet agrees with you: I can't find details anywhere. The energy eigenvalue is derived and "then a miracle occurs" and we suddenly have the radial solution.

-Dan

Likes malawi_glenn and vanhees71
Well, the standard trick for solving differential equations is "assume a solution of the form".

It has been a very long time since I have done this. But since the angular part has worked out for you, I'd swittch to parabolic coordinates and take advantage of the radial/angular degeneracy. You have all the pieces, even though the remaining work is likely to be...strenuous.

Likes topsquark and vanhees71
topsquark said:
##F^{ \prime } + \dfrac{k}{ \rho } F = \left ( a - \dfrac{b}{ \rho } \right ) G##

##G^{ \prime } - \dfrac{k}{ \rho } G = \left ( a + \dfrac{b}{ \rho } \right ) F##
You should double check these equations. I looked in Sakurai, Advanced Quantum Mechanics (eq. 3.299) and at this UCSD site. Both agree that ##F##, ##G## satisfy (in your notation):$$F'-\frac{k}{\rho}F=\left(a-\frac{b}{\rho}\right)G$$$$G'+\frac{k}{\rho}G=\left(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{b}{\rho}\right)F$$I doubt the sign differences between these and your equations are significant since they can likely be made to agree by redefining the functions and constants. But the distinction between ##a## and ##1/a## seems crucial.

Likes malawi_glenn and topsquark
renormalize said:
You should double check these equations. I looked in Sakurai, Advanced Quantum Mechanics (eq. 3.299) and at this UCSD site. Both agree that ##F##, ##G## satisfy (in your notation):$$F'-\frac{k}{\rho}F=\left(a-\frac{b}{\rho}\right)G$$$$G'+\frac{k}{\rho}G=\left(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{b}{\rho}\right)F$$I doubt the sign differences between these and your equations are significant since they can likely be made to agree by redefining the functions and constants. But the distinction between ##a## and ##1/a## seems crucial.
Gah! Yes, it was simply a typo.

I'll double check the signs as well, but I think those are okay (as defined with the rest of my derivation.)

Thanks for the catch!

-Dan

topsquark said:
It's a mess, but what I'm trying to show is that the solution for F is
##F( \rho ) = e^{- \rho } \rho ^s \left ( A(2 \rho ) L_{n - k - 1}^{2s + 1} (2 \rho ) + B L_{n - k}^{2s - 1} (2 \rho ) \right ) ##
where the L are Laguerre polynomials.

...Long story short I can't find a way to use the Laguerre differential equation to cancel things out.

Much more detail upon request, but at this point my question is merely, "Am I barking up the wrong tree?" Is there a better way to approach this?
It's fairly straightforward (but somewhat lengthy!) to show that the Dirac radial equations for a single-electron atom are indeed satisfied by combinations of associated Laguerre polynomials.

To maintain contact with an existing QM textbook treatment, I begin by rewriting eq.(3.299) of Sakurai, Advanced Quantum Mechanics, using the OP's notation:$$F'-\frac{k}{\rho}F=\left(a-\frac{b}{\rho}\right)G,\;\; G'+\frac{k}{\rho}G=\left(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{b}{\rho}\right)F\tag{1a,b}$$The dimensionless parameters appearing in (1) are defined in terms of physical quantities by:$$\rho:=\frac{\sqrt{m^{2}c^{4}-E^{2}}}{\hbar c}r,\;\;a:=\sqrt{\frac{mc^{2}-E}{mc^{2}+E}},\;\;b:=Z\alpha,\;\;k:=\pm\left(j+\frac{1}{2}\right)\tag{2}$$(Here ##r## is the usual radial coordinate, ##E## and ##m## are the electron energy and mass, ##Z## is the number of positive charges on the atomic nucleus, ##\alpha## is the fine-structure constant, and ##j## is the quantum number of total angular momentum (one-half of an odd-integer).)

Next, in lieu of substituting (1a) into (1b) and vice versa to get second-order differential equations for ##F## and ##G##, I apply a clever ansatz originated by F.D. Pidduck in 1929. He turned (1a) and (1b) into two second-order equations for one unknown function ##P## by expressing ##F## and ##G## as linear combinations of ##P## with its derivative ##P'##:$$F=e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(p_{1}P+p_{2}\thinspace\rho\thinspace P'\right),\;\;G=e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(p_{3}P+p_{4}\thinspace\rho\thinspace P'\right)\tag{3a,b}$$Note that, by virtue of the overall factor ##e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}## appearing in (3), the natural boundary conditions for the function ##P## are: ##P(0)## must be nonzero finite and ##P(\rho)## must grow no faster than a power of ##\rho## as ##\rho\rightarrow\infty##.

The constants ##p_{2},p_{3},p_{4}## are now determined as follows. First, insert (3) into (1a,b) to get two distinct second-order differential equations, which I denote as ##D_{1a}^{(2)}P=0## and ##D_{1b}^{(2)}P=0##, for the one function ##P##. This is consistent only if the left sides of these two equations can be made proportional to one another:$$D_{1a}^{(2)}P=\lambda D_{1b}^{(2)}P\tag{4}$$I accomplish this by equating the coefficients of ##P,P',P''## appearing on each side of (4) and solving the resulting three simple algebraic equations to determine the unknown constants:$$\lambda=a,\;\;p_{2}=\frac{p_{1}a}{a\left(k+s\right)-b},\;\;p_{3}=\frac{p_{1}\left(ab-k+s\right)}{a\left(k+s\right)-b},\;\;p_{4}=\frac{p_{1}}{a\left(k+s\right)-b}\tag{5}$$Using (5) and discarding a nonessential multiplicative factor, I ultimately arrive at the single differential equation that ##P## must satisfy:$$\rho P''+\left(1+2s-2\rho\right)P'+\left(2\nu+\frac{s^{2}-\sigma^{2}}{\rho}\right)P=0\tag{6a}$$where:$$\sigma:=\sqrt{k^{2}-b^{2}},\;\;\nu:=\frac{b}{2a}-\frac{ab}{2}-s\tag{6b,c}$$Mathematica easily integrates (6a) to find its solution:$$P\left(\rho\right)=\rho^{\sigma-s}\left(c_{1}L_{\nu+s-\sigma}^{2\sigma}\left(2\rho\right)+c_{2}U\left(-\nu-s+\sigma,1+2\sigma,2\rho\right)\right)\tag{7}$$in terms of the associated Laguerre function ##L^{\beta}_{\mu}(z)## and the confluent hypergeometric function of the second kind ##U(x,y,z)##. Requiring nonzero finiteness at ##\rho=0##, I must set ##s=\sigma## and ##c_{2}=0## since ##U(x,y,0)## is singular. The remaining solution piece ##L^{2\sigma}_{\nu}(2\rho)## suffers from an unphysical essential singularity at ##\rho=\infty## unless ##\nu## is restricted to be a non-negative integer ##n##. With these choices (and putting ##c_{1}=1##), eq.(7) reduces to the physical solution:$$P\left(\rho\right)=L_{n}^{2s}\left(2\rho\right)\tag{8}$$where ##L_{n}^{2s}## is the ##n^{\text{th}}##-order associated Laguerrre polynomial. Putting (8) into (3) provides the sought-after solutions for ##F,G##:$$F\left(\rho\right)=p_{1}e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(L_{n}^{2s}\left(2\rho\right)+\frac{2a\rho L_{n-1}^{2s+1}\left(2\rho\right)}{a\left(k+s\right)-b}\right)\tag{9a}$$$$G\left(\rho\right)=p_{1}e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(\frac{\left(ab-k+s\right)L_{n}^{2s}\left(2\rho\right)-2\rho L_{n-1}^{2s+1}\left(2\rho\right)}{a\left(k+s\right)-b}\right)\tag{9b}$$$$s=\sqrt{k^{2}-b^{2}},\;\;n=\frac{b}{2a}-\frac{ab}{2}-\sqrt{k^{2}-b^{2}},\;\;n=0,1,2,\ldots\tag{9c,d,e}$$(Observe that the form for ##F## in eq.(9a) is apparently not the same as that guessed by the OP.) Also note that eq.(9d,e) is precisely the quantum condition for the energy-eigenvalues of a Dirac single-electron atom. This can be verified by substituting ##a,b,k## from (2) into (9d) and then solving for the energy ##E##, yielding:$$E=\frac{mc^{2}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}{\left(n+\sqrt{\left(j+\frac{1}{2}\right)^{2}-Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}\right)^{2}}}}$$in agreement with Sakurai eq.(3.331).

I leave it to the reader to judge whether the above method of solving for ##F,G## directly in terms of the well-understood associated Leguerre polynomials is superior to (or merely different from) the classic QM textbook approach that relies on developing terminating power-series solutions. For the interesting history of this topic, I recommend the 2010 review article "Schrödinger and Dirac equations for the hydrogen atom, and Laguerre polynomials" by Mawhin and Ronveaux.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes curious_mind, malawi_glenn, dextercioby and 2 others
renormalize said:
It's fairly straightforward (but somewhat lengthy!) to show that the Dirac radial equations for a single-electron atom are indeed satisfied by combinations of associated Laguerre polynomials.

To maintain contact with an existing QM textbook treatment, I begin by rewriting eq.(3.299) of Sakurai, Advanced Quantum Mechanics, using the OP's notation:$$F'-\frac{k}{\rho}F=\left(a-\frac{b}{\rho}\right)G,\;\; G'+\frac{k}{\rho}G=\left(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{b}{\rho}\right)F\tag{1a,b}$$The dimensionless parameters appearing in (1) are defined in terms of physical quantities by:$$\rho:=\frac{\sqrt{m^{2}c^{4}-E^{2}}}{\hbar c}r,\;\;a:=\sqrt{\frac{mc^{2}-E}{mc^{2}+E}},\;\;b:=Z\alpha,\;\;k:=\pm\left(j+\frac{1}{2}\right)\tag{2}$$(Here ##r## is the usual radial coordinate, ##E## and ##m## are the electron energy and mass, ##Z## is the number of positive charges on the atomic nucleus, ##\alpha## is the fine-structure constant, and ##j## is the quantum number of total angular momentum (one-half of an odd-integer).)

Next, in lieu of substituting (1a) into (1b) and vice versa to get second-order differential equations for ##F## and
##G##, I apply a clever ansatz originated by F.D. Pidduck in 1929. He turned (1a) and (1b) into two second-order equations for one unknown function ##P## by expressing ##F## and ##G## as linear combinations of ##P## with its derivative ##P'##:$$F=e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(p_{1}P+p_{2}\thinspace\rho\thinspace P'\right),\;\;G=e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(p_{3}P+p_{4}\thinspace\rho\thinspace P'\right)\tag{3a,b}$$Note that, by virtue of the overall factor ##e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}## appearing in (3), the natural boundary conditions for the function ##P## are: ##P(0)## must be nonzero finite and ##P(\rho)## must grow no faster than a power of ##\rho## as ##\rho\rightarrow\infty##.

The constants ##p_{2},p_{3},p_{4}## are now determined as follows. First, insert (3) into (1a,b) to get two distinct second-order differential equations, which I denote as ##D_{1a}^{(2)}P=0## and ##D_{1b}^{(2)}P=0##, for the one function ##P##. This is consistent only if the left sides of these two equations can be made proportional to one another:$$D_{1a}^{(2)}P=\lambda D_{1b}^{(2)}P\tag{4}$$I accomplish this by equating the coefficients of ##P,P',P''## appearing on each side of (4) and solving the resulting three simple algebraic equations to determine the unknown constants:$$\lambda=a,\;\;p_{2}=\frac{p_{1}a}{a\left(k+s\right)-b},\;\;p_{3}=\frac{p_{1}\left(ab-k+s\right)}{a\left(k+s\right)-b},\;\;p_{4}=\frac{p_{1}}{a\left(k+s\right)-b}\tag{5}$$Using (5) and discarding a nonessential multiplicative factor, I ultimately arrive at the single differential equation that ##P## must satisfy:$$\rho P''+\left(1+2s-2\rho\right)P'+\left(2\nu+\frac{s^{2}-\sigma^{2}}{\rho}\right)P=0\tag{6a}$$where:$$\sigma:=\sqrt{k^{2}-b^{2}},\;\;\nu:=\frac{b}{2a}-\frac{ab}{2}-s\tag{6b,c}$$Mathematica easily integrates (6a) to find its solution:$$P\left(\rho\right)=\rho^{\sigma-s}\left(c_{1}L_{\nu+s-\sigma}^{2\sigma}\left(2\rho\right)+c_{2}U\left(-\nu-s+\sigma,1+2\sigma,2\rho\right)\right)\tag{7}$$in terms of the associated Laguerre function ##L^{\beta}_{\mu}(z)## and the confluent hypergeometric function of the second kind ##U(x,y,z)##. Requiring nonzero finiteness at ##\rho=0##, I must set ##s=\sigma## and ##c_{2}=0## since ##U(x,y,0)## is singular. The remaining solution piece ##L^{2\sigma}_{\nu}(2\rho)## suffers from an unphysical essential singularity at ##\rho=\infty## unless ##\nu## is restricted to be a non-negative integer ##n##. With these choices (and putting ##c_{1}=1##), eq.(7) reduces to the physical solution:$$P\left(\rho\right)=L_{n}^{2s}\left(2\rho\right)\tag{8}$$where ##L_{n}^{2s}## is the ##n^{\text{th}}##-order associated Laguerrre polynomial. Putting (8) into (3) provides the sought-after solutions for ##F,G##:$$F\left(\rho\right)=p_{1}e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(L_{n}^{2s}\left(2\rho\right)+\frac{2a\rho L_{n-1}^{2s+1}\left(2\rho\right)}{a\left(k+s\right)-b}\right)\tag{9a}$$$$G\left(\rho\right)=p_{1}e^{-\rho}\rho^{s}\left(\frac{\left(ab-k+s\right)L_{n}^{2s}\left(2\rho\right)-2\rho L_{n-1}^{2s+1}\left(2\rho\right)}{a\left(k+s\right)-b}\right)\tag{9b}$$$$s=\sqrt{k^{2}-b^{2}},\;\;n=\frac{b}{2a}-\frac{ab}{2}-\sqrt{k^{2}-b^{2}},\;\;n=0,1,2,\ldots\tag{9c,d,e}$$(Observe that the form for ##F## in eq.(9a) is apparently not the same as that guessed by the OP.) Also note that eq.(9d,e) is precisely the quantum condition for the energy-eigenvalues of a Dirac single-electron atom. This can be verified by substituting ##a,b,k## from (2) into (9d) and then solving for the energy ##E##, yielding:$$E=\frac{mc^{2}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}{\left(n+\sqrt{\left(j+\frac{1}{2}\right)^{2}-Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}\right)^{2}}}}$$in agreement with Sakurai eq.(3.331).

I leave it to the reader to judge whether the above method of solving for ##F,G## directly in terms of the well-understood associated Leguerre polynomials is superior to (or merely different from) the classic QM textbook approach that relies on developing terminating power-series solutions. For the interesting history of this topic, I recommend the 2010 review article "Schrödinger and Dirac equations for the hydrogen atom, and Laguerre polynomials" by Mawhin and Ronveaux.
Very interesting. I'll have to play with that for a while. It's a lot more constructive than the approach I was working with.

-Dan

dextercioby said:
Yes, that is the series solution in there. But I love the full blown solution from post #7.
Great, it was about 15 years since last time I opened that book so I might have forgotten the details (too lazy to find it in my bookshelf hehe)

Likes topsquark

1. What is the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution?

The Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution is a mathematical equation that describes the energy levels and wave functions of the hydrogen atom, taking into account relativistic effects. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928.

2. Why is it important to solve the radial equation for the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution?

Solving the radial equation for the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution allows us to accurately predict the energy levels and wave functions of the hydrogen atom, taking into account relativistic effects. This is important for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in various environments.

3. What is the difference between the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution and the Schrödinger equation?

The Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution is a relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation, which only takes into account non-relativistic effects. The Dirac equation includes additional terms to account for the effects of special relativity on the behavior of particles at high speeds.

4. How is the radial equation for the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution solved?

The radial equation for the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution is solved using a variety of mathematical techniques, including separation of variables, series expansion, and numerical methods. It can also be solved using computer programs and software.

5. What are some applications of the Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution?

The Dirac Hydrogen Atom Solution has many applications in the fields of quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and chemistry. It is used to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules in various environments, such as in the presence of strong electromagnetic fields or at high speeds. It also has applications in nuclear physics and astrophysics.