Solve Tide Depth Model with Trig Functions: A, B, C, and D Variables Explained

In summary, to find the constants A, B, C, and D in the formula for the depth of the tide in a bay, you can use the information that the maximum depth is 5m, the minimum depth is 1m, and the time between high tides is 14 hours. By using the fact that cos(t) has a maximum of 1 regardless of t, you can find an equation in A and B to solve for the constants.
Paulo2014

Homework Statement

The depth, d, of the tide in a bay is modeled by the formula
d=A+Bcos(Ct+D) where A,B,C and D are constants, d is measured in metres and t in hours.

The time between successive high tides is 14 hours. The maximum depth of the tide in the bay is 5 m and the minimum depth is 1m. Initially the depth is 4m and the tide is coming in

Find A,B,C and D

How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Paulo2014 said:
The maximum depth of the tide in the bay is 5 m and the minimum depth is 1m.

For the function d=A+Bcos(Ct+D), when d=5, the function is maximum, are you able to find an equation in A and B only from this?

(Hint: cos(t) has a maximum of 1 regardless of t, thus for cos(Ct+d), will have a maximum of ?)

Similarly for d=1, it has a minimum value.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the variables and their significance in the tide depth model. A represents the average depth of the tide, B represents the amplitude or difference between the maximum and minimum depths, C represents the frequency or number of cycles per unit of time, and D represents the phase shift or starting point of the tide cycle.

To solve for these variables, I would use the given information about the time between high tides, maximum and minimum depths, and initial depth to create a system of equations. From there, I would use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to solve for A, B, C, and D.

Additionally, I would also consider any external factors that could affect the tide depth, such as wind or weather patterns, and incorporate them into the model if necessary.

Once the variables have been determined, I would then use the model to make predictions about future tide depths and compare them to actual data to assess the accuracy of the model. I would also continue to gather data and make adjustments to the model as needed to improve its accuracy.

What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a right triangle to the ratios of its sides. They include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

How are trigonometric functions used?

Trigonometric functions are used in a variety of fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be used to solve problems involving triangles, waves, and circular motion.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a Cartesian plane. It is used to visualize and understand the values of trigonometric functions, as the coordinates of points on the unit circle correspond to the values of sine and cosine at different angles.

What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions, but they differ in the angle that is being measured. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

How do I find the values of trigonometric functions?

The values of trigonometric functions can be found using a calculator or by using special triangles and reference angles. Additionally, there are tables and graphs that can be used to find their values at specific angles.