Solve Turntable Problem: Find Coefficient of Friction

• Thread starter mattx118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turntable
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of static friction between a coin and a rotating turntable. The formula for this is given as Mue = v^2 / (g*r), and it is suggested to check for rounding errors or use a more precise value for g. The final answer is determined to be .145, although there is some confusion as to whether the answer was looking for a specific number of significant figures.
mattx118
A coin is placed 10.0 cm from the axis of a rotating turntable of variable speed. When the speed of the turntable is slowly increased, the coin remains fixed on the turntable until a rate of 36 rpm is reached, at which point the coin slides off. What is the coefficient of static friction between the coin and the turntable?

I know that MueK, is going to be Fs / Fn, but I'm having trouble getting those, if anyone can give me a clue into start this.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to find the centripetal force [tex] Fc=(4 pi^2 r m)/T^2 [/tex]
Then use Fc=μmg to solve for μ

i came up with the formula, Mue = v^2 / (g*r), i am getting .15 as the answer, however it is saying it is wrong.

mattx118 said:
i came up with the formula, Mue = v^2 / (g*r), i am getting .15 as the answer, however it is saying it is wrong.

Hmm, I got something slightly different. Perhaps you should check your rounding, or use a more precise value for [tex]g[/tex]?

r=0.1m
g=9.8m/s^2
v=0.377m/s

so it's about .116

that answer is also wrong, i have no idea what is wrong I'm almost sure i have done it correctly

ack, sorry, I got 0.145 just as you did.

Yea, I don't know why its saying its wrong :X

What is the actual answer?

I have one more submission left

Well then haha, it was .145 I got it right, maybe it was looking for a special amount of sig figs. I was rounding it off.

Related to Solve Turntable Problem: Find Coefficient of Friction

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. Why is it important to find the coefficient of friction for a turntable?

Finding the coefficient of friction for a turntable is important because it allows us to understand the amount of resistance between the turntable and the surface it is placed on. This can help us determine the stability of the turntable and ensure it is not slipping or sliding during use.

3. How do you solve for the coefficient of friction in a turntable problem?

To solve for the coefficient of friction in a turntable problem, you will need to measure the normal force acting on the turntable and the force required to move the turntable. Then, you can use the formula μ = F/mg, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force required to move the turntable, m is the mass of the turntable, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction in a turntable problem?

The coefficient of friction in a turntable problem can be affected by several factors, including the type and condition of the surface the turntable is placed on, the weight and shape of the turntable, and any external forces acting on the turntable.

5. Are there any limitations to using the coefficient of friction to solve a turntable problem?

While the coefficient of friction can provide valuable information about the resistance between a turntable and its surface, it is important to note that it is not the only factor that can affect the stability of a turntable. Other factors, such as the design and construction of the turntable, should also be taken into consideration when solving a turntable problem.