Solve Wave Motion Question HRW 8 Ch 16 Q19

Your calculation is correct. In summary, by resolving the components of tension in each string, finding the angle X and the values of T and T2, and calculating the mass per unit length and velocity using the given formulas, the velocity of the wave is determined to be 32.2 m/s, which is slightly different from the book's answer of 32.9 m/s.
eptheta
From HRW 8 Ch 16 Q19
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8947/82287578.jpg

What i did:
I resolved the components of tension is each string (T cosX and T sin X) and found X to be 19.47 degrees (sin inverse of [0.25m/0.75 m]). Then i got the value of T as 20.79 N. The Tension in the middle(between A and B) i called T2 and got it as 6.93 N [T sinX= T2]
Then, mass per unit length was found out to be 0.01kg/AB(1.5m) = 6.67x10^-3 kg/m
using the formula v= root of[T/mass per unit length], v= 32.2 m/s
The answer at the back of the book says 32.9 m/s .
Can anyone help me out here ?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably just a rounding error on the book's part.

I would first commend you for your thorough approach in solving this wave motion question. Your method of resolving the components of tension and finding the angle and tension values is correct. However, there may be small errors in rounding off or calculation that could result in a slight difference in the final answer.

To verify your answer, I would recommend double-checking your calculations and also checking for any conversion errors between units (such as meters to centimeters or kilograms to grams). It is also possible that the book may have used slightly different values for the given parameters, resulting in a slightly different answer.

In any scientific calculation, it is important to be as precise as possible and to check for any potential sources of error. I would suggest reviewing your steps and calculations and making any necessary corrections to arrive at the correct answer. If you are still unsure, you could also consult with a colleague or professor for further clarification.

1. How do you solve a wave motion question?

To solve a wave motion question, you will need to use the given information and equations related to wave motion, such as the wave speed, frequency, and wavelength. You will also need to understand the principles of wave behavior, such as reflection, refraction, and interference. By using the appropriate equations and applying the principles correctly, you can solve the question and find the desired quantity.

2. What is the HRW 8 Ch 16 Q19 question about?

The HRW 8 Ch 16 Q19 question is most likely a specific question from a physics textbook or study guide, referencing a problem related to wave motion. It may involve a scenario where a wave is traveling through a medium or encountering different obstacles, and you are asked to find a specific quantity related to the wave's behavior.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving a wave motion question?

The key concepts involved in solving a wave motion question include understanding the properties of waves, such as amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and wave speed. You also need to understand the principles of wave behavior, including reflection, refraction, and interference. Additionally, you should be familiar with the equations related to wave motion, such as the wave equation, Snell's Law, and the Law of Reflection.

4. Can you give an example of a wave motion question and how to solve it?

Sure, here is an example of a wave motion question: A wave traveling through water has a frequency of 10 Hz and a wavelength of 5 meters. What is the wave's speed? To solve this question, we can use the equation v = fλ, where v is the wave speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. Plugging in the given values, we get v = (10 Hz)(5 m) = 50 m/s. Therefore, the wave's speed is 50 m/s.

5. How can I check if my answer to a wave motion question is correct?

To check if your answer to a wave motion question is correct, you can use the given information and equations to calculate the desired quantity again. If you get the same answer, then your initial answer was most likely correct. Additionally, you can also use the principles of wave behavior to see if your answer makes sense. For example, if you calculated a wave speed that is faster than the speed of light, then your answer is most likely incorrect.