Solve Your TV's Red Hue Problem: Plasma or LCD?

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary, our TV is broken, the green went away, now everything has a god-awful red hue to it. So, what do you suggest? Plasma or LCD - and why? Oh yeah. What's HDTV? Does it come in plasma and LCD? I don't like researching this stuff and Ivan (poor baby) is SO busy lately! Somebody help me! Thank you very much.
Tsu
Gold Member
Our TV is broken. :cry: The green went away. :bugeye: Now everything has a god-awful red hue to it. :yuck:
So, what do you suggest? Plasma or LCD - and why?
Oh yeah. What's HDTV? :confused: Does it come in plasma and LCD? I don't like researching this stuff and Ivan (poor baby) is SO busy lately! :frown:
Somebody help me!
Thank you very much. :shy: :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, do you remember those see-thru colored tv screen covers that they sold back in the late 50's early 60's to put over black & white tv screens to make them "color tv's"? :rofl:

Just put a green tinted screen cover over your set...problem solved.

No need to thank me, it's the least I can do. :approve:

Yeah, the small font isn't very small.

wow. Do you LIVE online? :rofl: How you been, sis? Let's talk this weekend! :smile:

Oh - yeah. Green filter. Gottcha. :rolleyes: NEXT! :rofl:

You can combine it with my old one if you want; the red gun's gone in it. If we put them together, we'll have one big assembly that we can watch 3-D movies on. :approve:

Tsu said:
wow. Do you LIVE online? :rofl:
:frown: yes

How you been, sis? Let's talk this weekend! :smile:
I was going to make a "whine" thread to complain about everything, but decided to spare everyone. I'll call you this weekend. I'll make a pitcher of green apple martinis and we can talk for awhile. :approve:

Hey drink enough and the tv will start to look better. :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Our TV is broken. :cry: The green went away. :bugeye: Now everything has a god-awful red hue to it. :yuck:
Oh yeah. What's HDTV? :confused: Does it come in plasma and LCD? I don't like researching this stuff and Ivan (poor baby) is SO busy lately! :frown:
Somebody help me!

I think plasma is suppose to be better :P

HDTV is a new "high-definition" standard of television. You know how they always go "watch this program, now in High Definition"... well the cable company (or local stations broadcast) is sending the signal with a higher resolution then you've always been use to so you get better picture quality with better tv's that have HDTV. Without the HDTV reciever however, you don't get it :)

You can get good LCD or Plasma doesn't matter, just make sure you get HDTV, that is the important part. HDTV is awesome. I'd get a widescreen too, but that's up to you. PS, nothing makes a better Christmas present than a large plasma HDTV

Evo said:
Oh, do you remember those see-thru colored tv screen covers that they sold back in the late 50's early 60's to put over black & white tv screens to make them "color tv's"? :rofl:
No need to thank me, it's the least I can do. :approve:
Yeah, the small font isn't very small.
I don't remember those.

However, I do remember the Oddysey video games. You could play pong half the day long. If you got tired of that, you could put the semi-see-through green tennis court overlay on the TV screen and play tennis for the other half of the day.

Tsu said:
Somebody help me!
Or you could hang on for SED
Canon will ship its first large-screen flat-panel TV next year, based on a technology called SED, taking on the established plasma and LCD manufacturers in the emerging high-definition market.

Like traditional Cathode-Ray Tube (CRT) technology, SED generates light by colliding electrons against coloured phosphors coated on the back of a screen. Where a CRT uses a large and power-hungry electron gun, though, SED panels use tiny electron emitters for every pixel on the display, and so are cheaper to run.

Canon and Toshiba claim SED delivers a sharp picture with pure blacks, vibrant colour, fast response times, wide viewing angle and relatively low power consumption, thereby offering the best of LCD and plasma technologies with none of the downsides.

At the Paris Expo, Canon demonstrated a 36in SED panel side-by-side with a 37in plasma and LCD TV, all showing the same material. The competing products were not named, nor their configuration described, but Canon assured delegates that they were using default settings.

The SED image was considerably brighter and more colourful than the Plasma and LCD sets, with very wide viewing angles and black levels as deep as Plasma. No mention was made of screen-burn.
Don't you just love how quickly technology changes :-)

I recommend the highest resolution HDTV projector you can afford :approve:

Would cost you less than LCD/Plasma and if you have a nice big wall will give you the bigger picture

Evo said:
No need to thank me, it's the least I can do.

:wink: I remember when those things came on the market. We didn't have a TV yet though because my dad thought that TV would be a passing fad. I remember him saying: "How can anyone get any work done around the house if they sit and watch one of those things all day.":smile: Poor Mom.

As soon as the boxing matches ,"Friday night fights", were first televised he changed his mind.

Danger said:
You can combine it with my old one if you want; the red gun's gone in it. If we put them together, we'll have one big assembly that we can watch 3-D movies on. :approve:
Sounds good! Let's do it! :biggrin:

Evo said:
I was going to make a "whine" thread to complain about everything, but decided to spare everyone. I'll call you this weekend. I'll make a pitcher of green apple martinis and we can talk for awhile. :approve:
Hey drink enough and the tv will start to look better. :biggrin:

Sounds like a plan. :biggrin: Although I'm not sure I CAN drink enough to make the TV look better... :rofl: :rofl:

Tsu said:
I used to have a set that would do that intermittently. Normal color for a while, then Magenta, then back to normal again. Luckily this was back when they still included the schematics with electronic equipment and I was able to trace the problem and fix it.

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp
Somebody help me!

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it also has a red hue...:uhh:

Hang on, I'll be home soon. :biggrin:

yay. let's celebrate cronxeh's 200th ignored post on this forum

if trend continues I am outa here

Get the plasma before he gets home. He'll just want to fix the old TV. better hurry

WE had the same problem once! That really hurt eyesight!:grumpy:

cronxeh said:
:zzz: :zzz: :tongue2:

Last edited:
cronxeh said:

Wow! You COUNT yours, huh? Well, CONGRATULATIONS! That's quite a milestone! :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry if it seemed that I ignored you, dear. I was at work while I was posting and I got called away by a bunch of those pesky sick and injured people in the ER. I swear to god they just show up at the WORST times... :biggrin:

Thanks to all of you for the info. After googling and checking Janus' links (thanks, Janus!) I've decided I'd rather just dump it in Ivan's lap when he gets home. :rofl: :rofl:

Tsu said:
I was at work while I was posting and I got called away by a bunch of those pesky sick and injured people in the ER. I swear to god they just show up at the WORST times...

Yeah they also seem to vomit only on your best pants, the neweset boots, and cleanest shirts you have in your wardrobe :bugeye:

From the couple of people I have talked to that did heavy research into this, they both agreed that the burn in factor for plasmas was what killed it for them. To have half of the brightness degrade in about 3 years (or less) just doesn't seem worth the initial $$$ they cost. BTW...both people I know went with the LCD.

Tsu said:
I'm not sure I CAN drink enough to make the TV look better... :rofl: :rofl:
Honey, if you can drink enough to make Ivan look good, the TV will present no challenge whatsoever.

cronxeh said:
Yeah they also seem to vomit only on your best pants, the neweset boots, and cleanest shirts you have in your wardrobe :bugeye:

Now, that's a fact. :rofl: However, being puked on is not quite as bad as explosions from the opposite end during a barium enema. That's why I wear scrubs and shoe covers! :biggrin: :approve:

I'm glad that I finished my breakfast before you brought that little scenario to mind. :yuck:

Danger said:
Honey, if you can drink enough to make Ivan look good, the TV will present no challenge whatsoever.

Good point. :biggrin:

1. How can I tell if my TV has a red hue problem?

The most obvious sign of a red hue problem is a reddish tint on your TV's screen. You may also notice that colors appear washed out or that skin tones look unnatural.

2. What causes a red hue problem in TVs?

A red hue problem can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect color settings, a faulty cable or connection, or a malfunctioning TV screen. It can also be a sign of a more serious issue with the TV's internal components.

3. Is a plasma or LCD TV better for solving a red hue problem?

Both plasma and LCD TVs can experience a red hue problem, so the type of TV itself is not a determining factor in solving the issue. However, LCD TVs tend to have more customizable color settings, which may make it easier to correct the red hue.

4. Do I need to hire a professional to fix a red hue problem on my TV?

In some cases, a red hue problem can be solved by adjusting the TV's color settings. However, if the issue persists, it may be a sign of a more complex issue that requires professional repair.

5. Can a red hue problem be prevented in the future?

To prevent a red hue problem from occurring, it is important to properly calibrate your TV's color settings and to regularly clean the screen and connections. It is also helpful to be aware of any potential sources of interference, such as other electronic devices, that may affect your TV's color display.

Back