Solved: Help with a block sliding down an Inclined platform

• Thread starter galibe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phyiscs
galibe
Homework Statement
A 5 kg block slides down a 30° incline with an acceleration of 3.0 m/s. a) How much of a resistive force up the ramp must there be? b) What is the kinetic coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp
Relevant Equations
Fy = 50cos30 = 43.3N
Fgx= 50 sin 30 = 25 N

a=Fnet/m
Fy = 50cos30 = 43.3N
Fgx= 50 sin 30 = 25 N

a=Fnet/m
3.0 = Fnet/5
Fnet=15

Ff = m Fn
15=m (43.3)
m=0.35

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

Orodruin said:
What is your question?
Is part b right? .35 for kinetic coefficient of friction.
Or should it be
Ff = m Fn
(25-15) = m (43.3)
m=0.23

galibe said:
Is part b right? .35 for kinetic coefficient of friction.
Or should it be
Ff = m Fn
(25-15) = m (43.3)
m=0.23
Which do you think, and why?
Think about the relationship between ##F_{net}, F_f ## and ##F_{gx}##.

Please don't use the same symbol (m) to mean different things. Write mu, or, better, use LaTeX.

haruspex said:
Which do you think, and why?
Think about the relationship between ##F_{net}, F_f ## and ##F_{gx}##.

Please don't use the same symbol (m) to mean different things. Write mu, or, better, use LaTeX.
I am trying to help my daughter. I think it is:
Ff = mu *Fn
15 = mu * 43.3
mu=0.35

She believes it is the other answer.
Ff = mu*Fn
(25-15) = mu* 43.3
mu=0.23

That doesn’t really answer the question of why you think your answer is correct.

galibe said:
Ff = mu *Fn
15 = mu * 43.3
mu=0.35

Ff = mu*Fn
(25-15) = mu* 43.3
mu=0.23
Your daughter should be helping you!

• Haha
Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
That doesn’t really answer the question of why you think your answer is correct.
I don’t know, I haven’t done physics in many years.

PeroK said:
Your daughter should be helping you!
So she is right? I have not done this in a long time and trying to relearn with her notes.

galibe said:
I don’t know, I haven’t done physics in many years.
If in need of guidance, your daughter is very welcome here. It is better to have a direct connection to helpers than having a go-between that may misinterpret or misrepresent.

galibe said:
So she is right? I have not done this in a long time and trying to relearn with her notes.
Yes, she is right. Fnet is the net force, not the friction force. The relation is Fnet = 25 N - Ff. (Always use units in equations!!)

Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
If in need of guidance, your daughter is very welcome here. It is better to have a direct connection to helpers than having a go-between that may misinterpret or misrepresent.
I won’t misrepresent. By reading on the internet and her notes I am not sure if it should be 25-15 or 15. I would generally have her brother help but he is away at college.

galibe said:
Yes, she's right.

Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
Yes, she is right. Fnet is the net force, not the friction force. The relation is Fnet = 25 N - Ff. (Always use units in equations!!)
Thank you, that was the piece I was unsure of. Fnet = 25N- Ff
I copied and pasted from the picture and some units didn’t come over.

galibe said:
I won’t misrepresent.
Not consciously obviously. However, if the underlying understanding of the concepts is lacking, there is always a risk of misrepresentation. For example, you misrepresented the material from the book by assuming Ff = 15 N. I am sure that was not your intention, but it occurred.

We are here to help, but it is always easier to help the student directly.

Likes galibe
I don't see any drawing of a free-body diagram (FBD). You may copy and paste your own sketch on pen and paper. Better still, there are excellent drawing softwares.
I think an FBD is essential for problems of this sort, specially if you're a beginner.

Likes PeroK and galibe
1706252556506.png
There you go @galibe, I draw for you the diagram of the problem using MSWord. You need to find the resistive force ##\color{red}{f_R}##. It took a little more than ten minutes.

Please note that I haven't shown all the forces. Can you complete the diagram by showing them?

Likes Lnewqban and Delta2
galibe said:
Ff = mu *Fn
15 = mu * 43.3
mu=0.35

Ff = mu*Fn
(25-15) = mu* 43.3
mu=0.23
If you have some reasoning behind your answer, please state it. If you don't, why are you hampering your daughter?

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of the block sliding down an inclined platform?

To calculate the acceleration of the block sliding down an inclined platform, you can use the formula: a = g * sin(theta), where "a" is the acceleration, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and "theta" is the angle of the incline.

2. What factors affect the speed of the block sliding down the inclined platform?

The speed of the block sliding down the inclined platform is affected by the angle of the incline, the friction between the block and the platform, and the initial height of the block. These factors can impact the acceleration and ultimately the speed of the block.

3. How can I determine the final velocity of the block at the bottom of the inclined platform?

To determine the final velocity of the block at the bottom of the inclined platform, you can use the formula: v = sqrt(2 * g * h * sin(theta)), where "v" is the final velocity, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity, "h" is the initial height of the block, and "theta" is the angle of the incline.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the block?

The relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the block is that as the angle of the incline increases, the acceleration of the block also increases. This is because more of the force of gravity is acting parallel to the incline, causing the block to accelerate faster.

5. How does friction impact the motion of the block sliding down the inclined platform?

Friction between the block and the inclined platform can slow down the motion of the block by opposing its movement. The coefficient of friction between the block and the platform determines how much force is required to overcome this friction and affects the acceleration and speed of the block.