Why Does Calculating Tension in Multiple Blocks Require Different Forces?

• Thread starter arianemati
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, to find the tension in the rope connecting blocks A and B, we can apply Newton's first law and set the sum of all forces in the opposite direction equal to zero. This means that T-Ra=0 and therefore T=Ra. When calculating the tension in the rope connecting blocks B and C (T2), we must consider all forces working to the left, including P, Rb, and Ra, instead of just T2=P+Rb.
arianemati
Homework Statement
Newtons 1st law, constant velocity
Relevant Equations
Sum F = 0
If I want to find the tension in the rope that connects block A and B. I can apply Newtons first law.

Sum of all forces in opposite direction equals 0.

The forces that work on block A is Friction (Ra) and the force on the rope that pulls the block towards the right (T) So we get T-Ra = 0 and therefore T=Ra. We don't look at the force T2 or mcg, or the friction working on block B.

So my question is. If we on block A only use the first force to the right and the first force to the left. (T-Ra) to find the tension in the rope connecting A and B . When we find the tension in the rope (T2) connecting B and C. Why do we have to calculate all forces that work to the left (T2 = P+Rb+Ra) instead of T2=P+Rb ?

Attachments

• IMG_78D49614C795-1.jpeg
    IMG_78D49614C795-1.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 125
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the problem statement. What is the exercise ?

BvU said:
You forgot the problem statement. What is the exercise ?

Nevermind. I think I got it :)

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How did Newton come up with his first law?

Newton's first law was derived from the observations and experiments of Galileo and Isaac Newton himself. It was first published in his book "Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

Can you give an example of Newton's first law in action?

One example of Newton's first law is when a book is placed on a table. The book will remain at rest until an external force, such as someone picking it up, is applied. Similarly, when a car is traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, it will continue moving at that speed unless a force, such as friction or air resistance, acts upon it.

How is Newton's first law different from the other laws of motion?

Newton's first law is different from the other laws of motion (second and third) because it deals with objects that are not being acted upon by any external forces. The second law deals with the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, while the third law deals with action and reaction forces.

How is Newton's first law relevant in everyday life?

Newton's first law is relevant in everyday life as it helps us understand the behavior of objects and how they interact with their surroundings. It also helps us predict and explain why objects continue to move or remain at rest. This law is also the basis for many inventions and technologies, such as seatbelts and airbags in cars.