Solving 2-D partial integro-differential equation

In summary: So I would have to figure it out on my own.In summary, the researcher is trying to solve an equation that involves the hilbert transform. They came across the equation while reproducing a research paper. They need help solving the equation.
semivermous
While reproducing a research paper, I came across the following equation,
∂f/∂t−(H(f)(∂f/∂x)=0
where [H(f)] is hilbert transform of 'f.'
and f=f(x,t) and initial condition is f(x,0)=cos(x) and also has periodic boundary conditions given by
F{H{f(x′,t)}}=i⋅sgn(k)F{f(x,t)},
where F(f(x,t) is Fourier transform of f(x,t).
and here ''t'' runs from 0 to 1.3 seconds

so I think we have to use iterations on basis of 't' while solving this equation.
Please help me in solving this integro differential equation(PDE). I am unable write a code for this(Matlab/Mathematica/Maple)
And suggestions are highly appreciated.
Link for research paper: https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.75.4614
After solving the given equation, we have to get the figure-1 of the paper

Code I have written is:
Mathematica code:
L = Pi; tmax = 1.2; sys = {D[u[x, t], t] -
    1/(Pi)*int[u[x, t], x, t]*D[u[x, t], x] == 0, u[0, t] == 1,
  u[x, 0] == Cos[x]};
int[u_, x_?NumericQ, t_ /; t == 0] :=
  NIntegrate[Cos[xp]/(x - xp), {xp, 0, x, x + 2 L},
   Method -> {"InterpolationPointsSubdivision",
     Method -> "PrincipalValue"}, MaxRecursion -> 20];
PrintTemporary@Dynamic@{foo, Clock[Infinity]};
Internal`InheritedBlock[{MapThread}, {state} =
   NDSolve`ProcessEquations[sys, u, {x, 0, 2 L}, {t, 0, tmax},
    StepMonitor :> (foo = t)];
  NDSolve`Iterate[state, {0, tmax}];
  sol = NDSolve`ProcessSolutions[state]] // AbsoluteTiming
{Plot3D[u[x, t] /. sol, {x, 0, 2 Pi}, {t, 0., 1.}, Mesh -> None,
   ColorFunction -> Hue, AxesLabel -> Automatic] // Quiet,
 Plot[Evaluate[Table[u[x, t] /. sol, {t, 0., 1., .2}]], {x, -Pi,
    Pi}] // Quiet}

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully someone here knows mathematica sufficiently to help.

In the meantime, I will look for some comparable examples using the same functions.

Likes semivermous
The question in first link was posted by myself but the solution is wrong.

Ahh okay. Well it may still hope others who read this thread.

One problem with this kind of question is the specialized knowledge needed to answer it. This would happen to me often in grad school before the internet. There was simply no place to turn to get help.

1. What is a 2-D partial integro-differential equation?

A 2-D partial integro-differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves two independent variables and contains both partial derivatives and integrals. It is typically used to describe complex physical phenomena, such as heat transfer or fluid flow, and requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

2. How is a 2-D partial integro-differential equation different from a regular partial differential equation?

A 2-D partial integro-differential equation differs from a regular partial differential equation in that it also involves integrals. This makes it more complex to solve and often requires numerical methods rather than analytical solutions.

3. What are the main challenges in solving a 2-D partial integro-differential equation?

The main challenges in solving a 2-D partial integro-differential equation include the complexity of the equation itself, the need for advanced mathematical techniques, and the difficulty in finding analytical solutions. Additionally, numerical methods may be time-consuming and require significant computational power.

4. What are some common techniques for solving 2-D partial integro-differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving 2-D partial integro-differential equations include separation of variables, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method often depends on the specific equation and problem being solved.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2-D partial integro-differential equations?

2-D partial integro-differential equations have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are commonly used to model heat transfer, fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and option pricing in financial markets. They are also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns and stock markets.