Solving 2-Sphere Collision Problem: M, 2M, R, & 2R

• Thread starter whatisphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spheres
In summary, two spheres with masses M and 2M and radii R and 2R, respectively, are released from rest with a distance of 8R between their centers. When they collide, sphere 1 will be moving at a speed of 20GM/36R, and sphere 2 will be moving at a speed of -10GM/36R. The calculation was done using conservation of energy and momentum, but the answer was incorrect, possibly due to a mistake in the algebra.
whatisphys

Homework Statement

Two spheres having masses M (sphere 1) and 2M (sphere 2) and radii R and 2R, respectively, are released from rest when the distance between their centers is 8R.
How fast will sphere 1 be moving when they collide? Assume that the two spheres interact only with each other. Enter your answer in units of sqrt(GM/R).
How fast will sphere 2 be moving when they collide? Enter your answer in units of sqrt(GM/R)

Homework Equations

-Gmm/r
(mv^2)/2
m1v1 + m2v2 = 0 since starts at rest

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay.
So what I did was I first calculated initial PE and Final PE. I then calculated the change in PE which turned out to be -5GM^2/12R
Then, I equated it to deltaKE = -deltaPE which i got as (Mv1^2)/2 + (2Mv2^2)/2 = 5GM/12R.
I used conservation of momentum to find out the ratio of V1 to V2 which was V2 = -1/2(V1)
After that I substituted that to the equation above and solved for V1 as 20GM/36R.
But it says it is wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your working for the change in potential energy.

PEi = GM2M/8R = -GM^2/4R and PEf = GM2M/3R = -2GM^2/3R

delta PE = Final - initial

make them so that they have common base which is -8GM^2/12R + 3GM^2/12R

OK I see ... so for conservaton of energy and momentum respectively you got:

$$v_1^2 + 4v_2^2 = \frac{10}{12}\frac{GM}{R}\\
v_1 + 2v_2 = 0$$ ... after dividing through by M in both equations and multiplying through by 2 in the top one.
That about right?

After that it is solved by simultaneous equations.
... your reasoning seems sound, so you need to check your algebra.

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations. First, the initial potential energy should be calculated as -GM^2/8R, not -GM^2/12R. This is because the distance between the centers of the spheres is 8R, not 12R.

Secondly, when you equate deltaKE = -deltaPE, you should have (Mv1^2)/2 + (2Mv2^2)/2 = (GM^2/8R) - (-GM^2/12R), since you are looking at the change in energy, not just the final energy.

Lastly, when you use conservation of momentum, the equation should be m1v1 + m2v2 = 0, not just m1v1 + m2v2. This is because the initial momentum is zero, since the spheres start at rest.

Correcting these errors, you should get the following equations:
(Mv1^2)/2 + (2Mv2^2)/2 = (GM^2/8R) - (-GM^2/12R)
m1v1 + m2v2 = 0

Solving these equations, you should get v1 = sqrt(30GM/36R) and v2 = -sqrt(15GM/36R). However, since the negative velocity doesn't make sense physically, we can discard it and get the final answer for v1 as sqrt(30GM/36R) = sqrt(5GM/6R) and v2 as sqrt(15GM/36R) = sqrt(5GM/12R).

These answers are in the correct units of sqrt(GM/R), so you should be good to go. Keep in mind that when you are working with conservation of energy and momentum, you need to be careful with the signs and make sure you are taking into account the initial and final states of the system. Hope this helps!

Related to Solving 2-Sphere Collision Problem: M, 2M, R, & 2R

What is the 2-sphere collision problem?

The 2-sphere collision problem is a mathematical problem that involves two spheres of different masses (M and 2M) and radii (R and 2R) colliding with each other. The goal is to determine the velocities and directions of the spheres after the collision.

What is the equation used to solve the 2-sphere collision problem?

The equation used to solve the 2-sphere collision problem is known as the conservation of momentum equation. This equation states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision.

Can the 2-sphere collision problem be solved using basic physics principles?

Yes, the 2-sphere collision problem can be solved using basic physics principles such as conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These principles can be applied to calculate the final velocities of the spheres after the collision.

What factors can affect the outcome of a 2-sphere collision?

The outcome of a 2-sphere collision can be affected by various factors such as the masses and radii of the spheres, the initial velocities and directions of the spheres, and the elasticity of the collision. These factors can all impact the final velocities and directions of the spheres after the collision.

Are there any limitations to solving the 2-sphere collision problem?

There are some limitations to solving the 2-sphere collision problem, such as assuming perfectly elastic collisions and neglecting any external forces acting on the spheres. These assumptions may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios and can affect the accuracy of the solution.