Solving 2nd order ODE in order to get equation for Orbital Trajectory

In summary, the given equation is a nonhomogeneous second order linear DE. I solved the associated homogeneous DE with constant coefficients and obtained the general solution ##u_c=A cos\theta + B sin\theta##. I used variation of parameters to obtain the general solution to the nonhomogeneous equation and obtained the particular solution ##u_p=(\frac{GM}{h^2} cos\theta +C_1)*cos\theta+(\frac{GM}{h^2} sin\theta +C_2)*sin\theta##. The particular solution is then ##u_p=\frac{GM}{h^2}+C_1cos\the
Andrea94
Homework Statement
Solve a differential equation to obtain trajectory
Relevant Equations
Solve ##\frac{du^2}{d\theta ^2}+u=\frac{GM}{h^2}## for ##u##
I want to solve ##\frac{du^2}{d\theta ^2}+u=\frac{GM}{h^2}## for ##u(\theta)##, where ##\frac{GM}{h^2}=constant##.

The given equation is a nonhomogeneous second order linear DE. I begin by solving the associated homogeneous DE with constant coefficients:

##\frac{du^2}{d\theta ^2}+u=0##​

which has general solution ##u_c=A cos\theta + B sin\theta##.

Now, I use variation of parameters to obtain the general solution to the nonhomogeneous equation. The form of the particular solution is ##u_p=u_1y_1+u_2y_2## where:

##u'_1=\frac{W_1}{W}##

##u'_2=\frac{W_2}{W}##

##W=y_1y'_2-y'_1y_2=cos^2\theta+sin^2\theta##

##W_1=-\frac{GM}{h^2} sin\theta##

##W_2=\frac{GM}{h^2} cos\theta##​

So that

##u_1 = -\frac{GM}{h^2}\int sin\theta d\theta = \frac{GM}{h^2} cos\theta +C_1##

##u_1 = \frac{GM}{h^2}\int cos\theta d\theta = \frac{GM}{h^2} sin\theta +C_2##​

The particular solution is then

##u_p=(\frac{GM}{h^2} cos\theta +C_1)*cos\theta+(\frac{GM}{h^2} sin\theta +C_2)*sin\theta##

##u_p=\frac{GM}{h^2}+C_1cos\theta+C_2sin\theta##​

Combining ##u_c## and ##u_p## to obtain the general solution yields

##u=\frac{GM}{h^2}+C_1cos\theta+C_2sin\theta+A cos\theta+Bsin\theta##

##u=\frac{GM}{h^2}+c_1cos\theta+c_2sin\theta##​

I ran the initial nonhomogeneous DE through an online solver, and got this exact same solution. However, in my book the answer is given as:

##u = C cos(\theta+\delta)+\frac{GM}{h^2}##​

Where ##C## and ##\delta## are integration constants.

Any help on where I have gone wrong here? I hope I have provided all the required information in this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you apply the angle sum and difference relations, you should be able to see that your solution and the solution in the book are the same. The book has just stated it in a different way. In other words, given your c1 and c2, there are values of C and δ for which the two forms are equal.

Likes Andrea94
phyzguy said:
If you apply the angle sum and difference relations, you should be able to see that your solution and the solution in the book are the same. The book has just stated it in a different way. In other words, given your c1 and c2, there are values of C and δ for which the two forms are equal.

Ah that's true! Didn't even think about that, thank you.

Not having any textbooks by me I am not even sure whether all authors class an equation where the 'forcing function' on the RHS is just a constant, K say, as non-homogeneous. At any rate it is very easily and naturally transformed into a homogeneous one just by changing the variable ##u## into ##y##, ##y=(u-\frac{K}{a_0})##. Then the constant is eliminated,, and all the terms with derivatives p essentially unchanged ##a_{r}\dfrac {d^{ r} u}{ d\theta ^{r}}## = ##a_{r}\dfrac {d^{ r} y}{ d\theta ^{r}}##

This corresponds to a (physically natural) choice of coordinate origin as the equilibrium position of the system. This has the advantage of simplicity - you know you are going to get only sine and not cosine terms in the result. (if you want to choose as origin a point of maximum displacement then you can get only cosine and not sine terms.) It may be good to grasp both the general formulation you have waded through :smile: and the simpler version often practically usable and then preferable.

Last edited:
Likes Andrea94
epenguin said:
Not having any textbooks by me I am not even sure whether all authors class an equation where the 'forcing function' on the RHS is just a constant, K say, as non-homogeneous. At any rate it is very easily and naturally transformed into a homogeneous one just by changing the variable ##u## into ##y##, ##y=(u-\frac{K}{a_0})##. Then the constant is eliminated,, and all the terms with derivatives p essentially unchanged ##a_{r}\dfrac {d^{ r} u}{ d\theta ^{r}}## = ##a_{r}\dfrac {d^{ r} y}{ d\theta ^{r}}##

This corresponds to a (physically natural) choice of coordinate origin as the equilibrium position of the system. This has the advantage of simplicity - you know you are going to get only sine and not cosine terms in the result. (if you want to choose as origin a point of maximum displacement then you can get only cosine and not sine terms.) It may be good to grasp both the general formulation you have waded through :smile: and the simpler version often practically usable and then preferable.

Yes this is a very meaningful point and I'm glad you brought it up, I should probably have mentioned that the author at the end chose precisely a coordinate system that leads to ##\delta=0## and hence eliminating the occurrence of multiple trigonometric functions, just as you say.

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It contains a second derivative of the unknown function with respect to the independent variable.

2. Why is it important to solve 2nd order ODE for orbital trajectory?

In order to accurately predict the motion of a celestial object in space, we need to understand its trajectory. Solving a 2nd order ODE allows us to obtain an equation that describes the path of an object in orbit around another object, such as a planet orbiting a star.

3. What are the key steps in solving a 2nd order ODE for orbital trajectory?

The key steps in solving a 2nd order ODE for orbital trajectory include identifying the independent variable, determining the initial conditions, converting the equation into standard form, finding the general solution, and applying the initial conditions to obtain a specific solution.

4. How does solving a 2nd order ODE help in understanding orbital mechanics?

Solving a 2nd order ODE allows us to obtain a mathematical equation that describes the trajectory of an object in orbit. This equation can then be used to analyze and predict the behavior of the object, such as its position, velocity, and acceleration, at any given time. This information is crucial in understanding the complex dynamics of orbital mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 2nd order ODE to model orbital trajectory?

While solving a 2nd order ODE can provide a good approximation of an object's trajectory, it is not a perfect representation of the actual motion. This is because there are many factors that can affect the trajectory, such as external forces and the gravitational pull of other objects. Additionally, the assumption of a two-body system may not hold true in all cases. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations when using a 2nd order ODE to model orbital trajectory.