Solving a Conics Question: Bridge Arch Height at Point 30m from Center

• Thread starter msimard8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a hyperbolic arch at a specific point using its width and maximum height. The correct answer is 42.2, but the student is having trouble setting up the problem. The key is to use the standard equation of a hyperbola and identify the correct constants using the given information.
msimard8
Hello,

I started this problem. I don't know really how to set it up. I attached my work. I know it is wrong but I do not know where. the correct answer is 42.2.

Here is the question:

A bridge over a river is supported by a hyperbolic arch which is 200 m wide at the base. The maximum height of the arch is 50 m. How high is the arch at a point 30 m from the center.

I drew a diagram (which I know is incorrect because my work assumes the center is (0,0)

Help.

If you have any ideas without looking at my work, anything will be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, sorry for the late response. Blame it on the summer!

Anyway let's take a look at the standard form of the equation of a hyperbola with a vertical transverse axis.

[tex]\frac{(y-k)^2}{a^2}-\frac{(x-h)^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

You've drawn one of the vertices at the origin, which is fine. But then you set [itex](h,k)=(0,0)[/itex] which is not fine. Those are the coordinates of the center, which certainly does not coincide with either of the vertices. You've also misidentified [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. They are not the distances given in the problem.

Here's what I would do. Start from the diagram that you've drawn (with the vertex at the origin). That means that the center of the hyperbola is on the y-axis, which implies that [itex]h=0[/itex] in the above equation. Then use the 3 points on your diagram to find [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]k[/itex]. You have 3 points and you need to find 3 constants. That should be feasible.

Hello,

I can see that you are trying to solve a conics question involving a bridge arch. Firstly, it's great that you have attempted to draw a diagram and set up the problem. However, as you mentioned, your diagram and work assume that the center of the arch is at (0,0), which may not be the case. To solve this problem, we need to use the equation of a hyperbola in standard form:

(x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1

where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola, a is the distance from the center to the vertex, and b is the distance from the center to the asymptote.

In this case, we know that the center of the hyperbola is at (0,0) and the distance from the center to the vertex is 50 m. We can also see from the given information that the width of the base is 200 m, which means the distance from the center to the asymptote is 100 m. Now, we can plug these values into the equation and solve for the height at a point 30 m from the center.

(x-0)^2/50^2 - (y-0)^2/100^2 = 1

Simplifying, we get:

x^2/2500 - y^2/10000 = 1

Now, we can plug in x = 30 and solve for y:

(30)^2/2500 - y^2/10000 = 1

900/2500 - y^2/10000 = 1

-1600/10000 = -y^2/10000

y^2 = 1600

y = ±40

Since we are looking for the height at a point 30 m from the center, we will take the positive value, which is 40 m. Therefore, the height of the arch at a point 30 m from the center is 40 m.

I hope this helps and clarifies the process for solving this type of problem. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solving a Conics Question: Bridge Arch Height at Point 30m from Center

1. How do I determine the equation of a conic for a bridge arch?

To determine the equation of a conic for a bridge arch, you can use the distance formula and the general equation for a conic, which is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1. The values for h and k can be found by using the coordinates of the center of the bridge arch, and the values for a and b can be found by using the distance formula for two points on the arch.

2. How do I find the height of the bridge arch at a specific point?

To find the height of the bridge arch at a specific point, you can use the equation of the conic and plug in the x-coordinate of the point. This will give you the value of y, which represents the height at that particular point.

3. What information do I need to solve a conics question for a bridge arch?

To solve a conics question for a bridge arch, you will need the coordinates of the center of the arch and the coordinates of at least one other point on the arch. You may also need the distance formula to find the values of a and b in the equation of the conic.

4. How do I interpret the equation of a conic for a bridge arch?

The equation of a conic for a bridge arch represents the shape of the arch and its dimensions. The values of a and b in the equation determine the length and width of the arch, while the values of h and k represent the coordinates of the center of the arch. The equation can also be used to find the height at any point on the arch.

5. Can I use the conic equation to find other information about the bridge arch?

Yes, the conic equation can be used to find other information about the bridge arch. For example, you can use the equation to find the coordinates of the highest or lowest point on the arch, or to find the distance between two points on the arch. You can also use it to determine if the arch is a parabola, ellipse, or hyperbola.