Solving a Helicopter Height Equation

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a bag released from a helicopter to reach the ground. The height of the helicopter is given by h=3.00t^3 where h is in meters and t is in seconds. The bag is released after 2 seconds and the bag's initial velocity is 0 m/s. By using the equation Xf=Xi+Vi(t)+1/2at^2, we can solve for t and find that it takes approximately 3.91 seconds for the bag to reach the ground.
rokas

Homework Statement

The height of a helicopter is given by h=3.00t^3, where h is in meters and t in seconds. After 2s, the helicopter releases a small bag. How long does it take for the bag to reach the ground?

Xi = 0
Xf = 24 (i got 24 meters when i plugged in seconds in h=3.00t^3)
A(gravity) = 9.81
Vi = 0

Homework Equations

Xf=Xi+Vi(t)+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i plugged in the numbers

24=(t)+1/2(9.81)(t^2)
24=(t)+4.905(t^2)
19.095=t^3

this is where i am stuck because i don't know how to solve an equation with a letter cubed...
i don't know if I am doing this right, help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Helicopter rising. Its initial velocity in the upward direction is given by dh/dt. Find vi at 2 seconds.
Initial height from the ground xo =24 m. Final height xf = 0. Find t.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the initial conditions. Is the bag released at the same time as the helicopter takes off, or does it take 2 seconds for the bag to be released after the helicopter takes off? This information is important for accurately solving the problem.

Assuming that the bag is released at the same time as the helicopter takes off, we can use the equation Xf=Xi+Vi(t)+1/2at^2 to solve for the time it takes for the bag to reach the ground. Since the bag is released at the same height as the helicopter, Xi=0. We also know that the bag is initially at rest, so Vi=0. Plugging in these values, we get:

Xf=0+0(t)+1/2(9.81)(t^2)
Xf=4.905t^2

Now, we can plug in the value for Xf from the problem, which is 24 meters:

24=4.905t^2

To solve for t, we can divide both sides by 4.905 and take the square root:

t=√(24/4.905)
t=2.197 seconds

Therefore, it takes approximately 2.197 seconds for the bag to reach the ground after being released from the helicopter. If the bag is released 2 seconds after the helicopter takes off, we would need to adjust the initial conditions and solve the problem again.

Related to Solving a Helicopter Height Equation

1. What is a helicopter height equation?

A helicopter height equation is a mathematical equation used to calculate the height of a helicopter in flight. It takes into account variables such as air density, rotor blade span, and rotor angular velocity to determine the height of the helicopter.

2. How is a helicopter height equation solved?

A helicopter height equation is solved by plugging in the known variables into the equation and using algebraic methods to isolate and solve for the unknown variable, which is typically the height of the helicopter.

3. Why is it important to solve the helicopter height equation?

Solving the helicopter height equation is important for accurately determining the height of a helicopter in flight. This information is crucial for air traffic control, flight planning, and ensuring the safety of the helicopter and its passengers.

4. What are the variables used in the helicopter height equation?

The variables used in the helicopter height equation may vary depending on the specific equation being used, but some common variables include air density, rotor blade span, rotor angular velocity, and altitude of the helicopter.

5. Are there different equations for different types of helicopters?

Yes, there may be different equations used for different types of helicopters, as the variables and factors involved may vary depending on the design and specifications of the helicopter. It is important to use the correct equation for the specific type of helicopter being analyzed.