Solving a Kinematics Problem: Throwing a Ball to Clear a Peaked Roof

In summary, the ball must be thrown with an initial speed of \sqrt{5/2gh} to just clear the peak and reach the other side at the same height.
Nishikino Maki

Homework Statement

A peaked roof is symmetrical and subtends a right angle, as shown. Standing at a height of distance h below the peak, with what initial speed must a ball be thrown so that it just clears the peak and hits the other side of the roof at the same height?

Diagram: http://imgur.com/bi1efMm

Homework Equations

[itex]x=vcos(\theta)t[/itex]
[itex]y=vsin(\theta)t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is supposed to be a kinematics problem, but I wasn't too sure how to do it that way so I used energy principles. Using the above equation, I got that the velocity should be [itex]\sqrt{2gh}[/itex] by simply rearranging the variables, however, the answer key says that it's [itex]\sqrt{5/2gh}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Nishikino Maki said:
... I used energy principles. Using the above equation, I got that the velocity should be [itex]\sqrt{2gh}[/itex] ...
That equation you used is wrong. It assumes the speed is zero when the height is h.

Give it another shot, then explain your thinking.

Does it have something to do with how the vertical speed is 0 but it is still moving horizontally? In that case the vertical speed at the bottom would be [itex]\sqrt(2gh)[/itex], and the horizontal would be (by working backwards from the answer) [itex]\sqrt(1/2gh)[/itex].

Nishikino Maki said:
the vertical speed is 0 but it is still moving horizontally?
Yes.
Nishikino Maki said:
and the horizontal would be (by working backwards from the answer) ##\sqrt{\frac 1{2gh}}##.
That would have dimension 1/speed, so cannot be right.
Knowing the vertical launch speed, how long does it take to reach the top? How far has it moved horizontally in that time?

Sorry for bad formatting, I meant [itex]\sqrt(1/2) * \sqrt(gh)[/itex].

I decided to do the problem a different way, I used the formula for max height and max range, set max height to half of max range, and solved for the angle. From there I was able to get the max height, which indeed was [itex]\sqrt(5/2)\sqrt(gh)[/itex]. Thanks for your help.

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a thrown ball?

To calculate the trajectory of a thrown ball, you will need to use the equations of motion for projectile motion:

• Vertical displacement (y) = initial vertical velocity (v0y) * time (t) - 1/2 * acceleration due to gravity (g) * time squared (t2)
  • Horizontal displacement (x) = initial horizontal velocity (v0x) * time (t)
  • Vertical velocity (vy) = initial vertical velocity (v0y) - acceleration due to gravity (g) * time (t)
  • Horizontal velocity (vx) = initial horizontal velocity (v0x)

2. How do you find the initial velocity of a thrown ball?

The initial velocity of a thrown ball can be found by using the following equation:

• Initial velocity (v0) = square root of (vertical velocity (vy) squared + horizontal velocity (vx) squared)

3. How do you take into account the height of the peaked roof when throwing a ball over it?

To take into account the height of the peaked roof, you will need to factor in the vertical displacement (y) in the equations of motion. The initial vertical displacement will be the height of the roof (h) and the final vertical displacement will be the height of the roof plus the desired clearance height (h + clearance). This will allow you to calculate the necessary initial vertical velocity (v0y) to clear the roof.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a thrown ball?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a thrown ball by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its expected path. This can be taken into account by using a more complex equation for air resistance, or by using a simulation model that takes air resistance into consideration.

5. How do you determine the optimal angle to throw a ball to clear a peaked roof?

The optimal angle to throw a ball to clear a peaked roof can be determined by using the following equation:

• Optimal angle (θ) = arctan (vertical displacement (h + clearance) / horizontal displacement (d))
This angle will give the maximum horizontal distance (d) for the ball to travel while still clearing the roof at the desired height. However, the optimal angle may also depend on other factors such as air resistance and initial velocity.