Solving a Logarithmic Curve: Tangent Lines & Approximations

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the tangent line to the curve y = Inx at the point where it crosses the x-axis, and using it to deduce an approximation for the function ln(1 + δ). The conversation also touches on some basic concepts of finding the equation of a line, such as the slope and points on the line. The conversation ends with the user stating their understanding of the question but still needing clarification on the second part.
fuzz95
guys I need loads of help for this question(s)?

what do i even do ?!?

Sketch the curve y = lnx and find the tangent line to this curve at the point where the curve crosses the x-axis. Deduce that, for small delta,
ln(1 + δ) ≈ δ .

- I know what the y = Inx curve looks like but what do i do after that?? how do i find my tangent line, etc ?

Use the approximation from the previous part to deduce that
p = p(h) ≈ Ae^-0.004h/30 .

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: y=Inx

To find the equation of a line, you need to know either two points on the line, or a slope and a point. Which do you think you'll have in this case?

Ackbach said:
To find the equation of a line, you need to know either two points on the line, or a slope and a point. Which do you think you'll have in this case?

nupe??
is the slope just 1 ?
how do i know two points on the line?

fuzz95 said:
nupe??...

I don't know what that means. :D

fuzz95 said:
is the slope just 1 ?
how do i know two points on the line?

How did you determine the slope of the tangent line is 1? And, if you know a point on the line and its slope, how can you determine the equation of the line?

Psst...fuzz95, the derivative of a function is also known as the ____ of the function at that point.

MarkFL said:
I don't know what that means. :D
How did you determine the slope of the tangent line is 1? And, if you know a point on the line and its slope, how can you determine the equation of the line?

i actually have no idea what you are trying to ask me?

fuzz95 said:
i actually have no idea what you are trying to ask me?

Let's go back a little and discuss philosophy just a bit. MHB is a site where people can ask math questions and get a very specific kind of help: unsticking. MHB does not generally offer complete solutions to every problem posted. Nor are we a homework service. Users such as yourself, who are asking math questions, are expected to do the heavy lifting: tell us where you're stuck, exactly, and what you're not understanding; then we help you get unstuck. This maximizes your learning, because you'll own the solution for yourself.

That said, let's go back in another way, and check some basic understanding. Please answer the following questions:

1. What is the equation of a line (any line, not just a tangent line or a secant line)?

2. What is the slope of a line (again, any line)?

3. How do you compute the slope of a line (again, any line)?

4. Suppose I were to give you the slope of a line, and a point on the line. How would you find the equation of the line?

5. Suppose I were to give you two points on a line. How would you find the equation of the line?

Ackbach said:
Let's go back a little and discuss philosophy just a bit. MHB is a site where people can ask math questions and get a very specific kind of help: unsticking. MHB does not generally offer complete solutions to every problem posted. Nor are we a homework service. Users such as yourself, who are asking math questions, are expected to do the heavy lifting: tell us where you're stuck, exactly, and what you're not understanding; then we help you get unstuck. This maximizes your learning, because you'll own the solution for yourself.

That said, let's go back in another way, and check some basic understanding. Please answer the following questions:

1. What is the equation of a line (any line, not just a tangent line or a secant line)?

2. What is the slope of a line (again, any line)?

3. How do you compute the slope of a line (again, any line)?

4. Suppose I were to give you the slope of a line, and a point on the line. How would you find the equation of the line?

5. Suppose I were to give you two points on a line. How would you find the equation of the line?
okay so i get that when x= 1, ln(x) crosses the x axis
Therefore ln(1) = 0 right?
Therefore ln(1+d) = d
- for d small enough (since the function slowly increases from zero as x increases from 1)
so that's my understanding of the question, etc? but from that i don't get how do find the second part of the question?

fuzz95 said:
Therefore ln(1+d) = d
- for d small enough (since the function slowly increases from zero as x increases from 1)
so that's my understanding of the question, etc? but from that i don't get how do find the second part of the question?
You put this question in the calculus section of the forum, so presumably you know something about calculus. Can you think of anything that calculus tells you about how to make that statement in green a bit more precise? In other words, instead of just saying that the function "slowly increases", can you use calculus to find the exact rate of increase of the function $\ln x$ when $x=1$?

fuzz95 said:

This is correct.

Therefore ln(1+d) = d

How d'ya figure? This does not seem a forgone conclusion.

Question: what is a tangent line, and how do we find their equations? Do you know this? If you have no idea, then everything else you're doing is just guesswork.

Related to Solving a Logarithmic Curve: Tangent Lines & Approximations

1. What is a logarithmic curve?

A logarithmic curve is a type of curve that represents the relationship between two variables, where one variable increases at a constant rate while the other variable increases at a logarithmic rate. The shape of a logarithmic curve resembles an upside-down "U" and can be seen in various natural phenomena such as population growth and radioactive decay.

2. How do you find the tangent line of a logarithmic curve?

To find the tangent line of a logarithmic curve at a specific point, first take the derivative of the logarithmic function. Then, plug in the x-value of the point into the derivative equation to find the slope of the tangent line. Finally, use the point-slope formula to write the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the purpose of finding the tangent line of a logarithmic curve?

The tangent line of a logarithmic curve can help us approximate the curve at a specific point and understand its behavior. It can also be used to find the rate of change at that point, which can be useful in various real-world applications such as finance and biology.

4. How do you use tangent lines to approximate a logarithmic curve?

To approximate a logarithmic curve using tangent lines, first choose a point on the curve and find its tangent line using the process mentioned in question 2. Then, choose another point closer to the first point and find its tangent line. Repeat this process with increasingly closer points to create a series of tangent lines that can approximate the curve at that specific point.

5. Can a logarithmic curve have more than one tangent line at a given point?

Yes, a logarithmic curve can have more than one tangent line at a given point. This is because there can be multiple tangent lines with different slopes that pass through the same point on the curve. However, only one of these tangent lines will have the same slope as the curve at that point, which is known as the instantaneous rate of change.