Solving a nested logarithmic equation

In summary, the problem involves solving a logarithmic equation using relevant equations (2) and (3) provided. The solutions obtained are x = -1 and x = -2. However, the author states that no solution satisfies the equation and gives x = ∅. This is incorrect as the solution x = -2 satisfies all the conditions outlined in the relevant equations. The author's reasoning is unclear and their solution set is incorrect.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Solve for ##x## : ##\boldsymbol{\log_{x^2+x+1}\{\log_{2x^2+3x+5}(x^2+3)\}=0}##
Relevant Equations
1. Given ##\log_b a= x##, we have the requirements that (1) ##a>0##, (2) ##b>0\; \text{and}\; b\ne 1## and (3) that all ##a,b,x \in \mathbb{R}##
2. If ##\log_{f(x)} g(x) = 0\Rightarrow g(x) = 1\;\forall x##
3. If ##\log_{f(x)} g(x) = 1\Rightarrow g(x) = f(x)\;\forall x##
1679125464361.png
Problem statement :
Let me copy and paste the problem on the right as it appears in the text.

Solution : Using the Relevant Equations (2) and (3) above, we can claim that

\begin{align*}
&\log_{2x^2+3x+5}(x^2+3)=1\\
&\Rightarrow x^2+3 = 2x^2+3x+5\\
&\Rightarrow x^2+3x+2=0\\
&\Rightarrow (x+1)(x+2)=0\\
&\Rightarrow \underline{x = -1}\quad\text{OR}\quad \underline{x=-2}
&\end{align*}

We have three functions to consider for conditions satisfying positivity, as outlined in Relevant Equations (1) above, for the two (underlined) solutions just obtained.

1. ##x^2+3## : Both solutions satisfy this function being greater than zero.
2. ##2x^2+3x+5## : Likewise, both solutions satisfy the requirement of this "base" function for being greater than zero and not equal to one.
3. ##x^2+x+1## : For ##x=-1##, this function is one, which is invalid. Hence this solution has to be discarded. However, for ##x=-2## this function is greater than zero and not one; so this solution holds good.

Answer : ##\Large{\boxed{x = -2}}. ##

Issue : The author says no answer for ##x## satisfies the logarithmic equation, giving ##x=\varnothing##. I copy and paste his solution below :

1679127496536.png
Doubt : Is the author mistaken? Am I? A hint would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks fine to me. If x = -1, the outer log is base-1, which we can't have.
If x = -2, we have this:
##\log_{x^2 + x + 1}[\log_{2x^2 + 3x + 5}(x^2 + 3)] = \log_3[\log_7(7)] = \log_3(1) = 0##

I don't following the author's work at all, particularly where he writes ##x \in R## a couple of times, and then concludes that the solution set is empty.

Likes scottdave
Mark44 said:
Your answer looks fine to me. If x = -1, the outer log is base-1, which we can't have.
If x = -2, we have this:
##\log_{x^2 + x + 1}[\log_{2x^2 + 3x + 5}(x^2 + 3)] = \log_3[\log_7(7)] = \log_3(1) = 0##

I don't following the author's work at all, particularly where he writes ##x \in R## a couple of times, and then concludes that the solution set is empty.
Thank you. Yes I checked my answer too. Matches the conditions. Sorry about the text.

1. What is a nested logarithmic equation?

A nested logarithmic equation is an equation that contains multiple logarithmic functions within each other. For example, log2(log3(x)) is a nested logarithmic equation.

2. How do I solve a nested logarithmic equation?

To solve a nested logarithmic equation, you need to use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. This involves expanding the logarithms, combining like terms, and using the inverse property of logarithms. Once the equation is simplified, you can solve for the variable using algebraic methods.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms are rules that allow us to manipulate logarithmic expressions. These include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and inverse rule. These properties can be used to simplify and solve nested logarithmic equations.

4. Can a nested logarithmic equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a nested logarithmic equation can have multiple solutions. This is because logarithmic functions are not one-to-one, meaning that multiple inputs can result in the same output. When solving a nested logarithmic equation, it is important to check your solutions to see if they satisfy the original equation.

5. Are there any special cases when solving a nested logarithmic equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving a nested logarithmic equation. These include when the argument of a logarithm is negative or when the argument is equal to 1. In these cases, the solution set may be limited or there may be no solution at all.