Solving a Particle on an Inclined Plane: Help Needed!

In summary, In this problem the author is trying to find out the magnitude of the normal reaction force between a particle and a plane. However, because the applied force is not parallel to the plane, the reaction force will depend on it. The author finds that the reaction force is 9.8Newtons.
T.S.M
Hey Everyone, here's a question i have issue with :(

A particle of mass 0.5 kg is pushed up a line af a greatest slope of a rough plane by a horizontal force of magnitude ℙ N. The plane is inclined at an angle 'α' (that is alpha) where tan α = 0.75 and the coefficient of friction between 'ℙ' and the plane is 0.5. The particle moves with constant speed. Find
a) the magnitude of the normal reaction between particle and the plane,
b) the value of ℙ.

I have been able to work out the normal reaction R , by R - (0.5g cos α) = 0.5 * 0. but then i recognized that ℙ is acting "horizontally" not parallel to the inclined plane, and so i wasn't able to solve it :( Secondly they mentioned that coefficient between 'ℙ' and the plane is .5 not between particle and plane! How's that possible :S pls explain it too! :/
Pls can any one help me out! Plz :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey T.S.M! :smile:
T.S.M said:
I have been able to work out the normal reaction R , by R - (0.5g cos α) = 0.5 * 0. but then i recognized that ℙ is acting "horizontally" not parallel to the inclined plane

Because the applied force is not parallel to the plane, the reaction force will depend on it …

resolve it into components along and perpendicular to the plane, and solve. :wink:
Secondly they mentioned that coefficient between 'ℙ' and the plane is .5 not between particle and plane! How's that possible :S

Must be a misprint :redface:

But reaction force can only be found out when we have the magnitude of P! And that's what we do't have! :S And the answer at the back of book is 9.8 N , both reaction force and P also! Both equal to 9.8 :/
Aaargh it's confusing! :O

T.S.M said:
But reaction force can only be found out when we have the magnitude of P! And that's what we do't have! :S And the answer at the back of book is 9.8 N , both reaction force and P also! Both equal to 9.8 :/
Aaargh it's confusing! :O

The particle is being pushed up the slope at constant speed. That should tell you something about the net sum of the forces acting along the slope.

gneill said:
The particle is being pushed up the slope at constant speed. That should tell you something about the net sum of the forces acting along the slope.
Hmm, i get what are you saying , but still 'P is UNKNOWN and R too' so 2 unknowns :P how can we solve it ;)
And may be it's misprinting or something, how can they both be equal to 9.8! :/
Umm btw u tried it? :P
Lemme know ASAP!

T.S.M said:
how can they both be equal to 9.8! :/

Well, I make them equal …

get on with it! :rolleyes:

Write the expressions for each force. Leave P as an unknown.

What's the component of P normal to the slope? Parallel to the slope?
What's the component of gravity on the particle normal to the slope? Parallel?

gneill said:
Write the expressions for each force. Leave P as an unknown.

What's the component of P normal to the slope? Parallel to the slope?
What's the component of gravity on the particle normal to the slope? Parallel?

For finding the normal reaction, R - (0.5g cos α) - (P sin α) = 05 * 0 (zero because, no acc. upwards)
Now equation for the motion of direction (P cos α) - (0.5g sin α) - (0.5* Value of R) = 0.5 * 0 (zero because, speed is 'constant')

So, am i going right? The magnitude of R which i m getting is in terms of P, and that's obvious! :O
Do you guys think my equations for both motions are correct?

Yes, that's fine! :smile:

Now, tanα = 3/4, so sinα and cosα are … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, that's fine! :smile:

Now, tanα = 3/4, so sinα and cosα are … ? :wink:

Aahhhhh! i got ittttttt! :biggrin:
•I made two equations, one equal to R, and other P, that is in both R and P were unknown and then solved it "simultaneously" :approve:

Husshhh!
Thank-you guys for Ur help, thanks alotttt! :D

Related to Solving a Particle on an Inclined Plane: Help Needed!

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a particle on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a particle on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula: a = g sin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and theta is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of an inclined plane and the force of gravity acting on a particle?

The angle of an inclined plane affects the component of gravity acting on the particle. The steeper the angle, the larger the component of gravity pulling the particle down the incline.

3. How do you find the normal force on a particle on an inclined plane?

The normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the component of gravity acting perpendicular to the incline. It can be calculated using the formula: N = mg cos(theta), where m is the mass of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the incline.

4. What is the formula for finding the frictional force on a particle on an inclined plane?

The frictional force on a particle on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula: f = mu*N, where mu is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

5. How do you calculate the velocity of a particle on an inclined plane?

The velocity of a particle on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula: v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed. This formula assumes that the particle starts from rest.