Solving a Physics Homework Problem: Work, Energy, and Conservation

In summary, the net work done on the book is zero, the change in gravitational potential energy is positive, and the total mechanical energy is not conserved due to the non-conservative force exerted while moving the book.
neongoats

Homework Statement

A student holds a book at rest on the palm of her hand. She lifts the book straight up, bringing it to rest again at a higher point.
1. Is the net work done on the book positive, negative, or zero?
2. Is the change in the gravitational potential energy positive, negative, or zero?
3. Is the total mechanical energy conserved?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I feel like the net work is zero, because as she speeds the book up the work being done is positive, but the work is negative when she begins to slow back down again. I also feel like the answer could potentially be positive though, because the speed is not constant and the displacement is upward.
2. I feel like this is positive because the displacement of the book is upward
3. I feel like this is true but I don't fully understand why that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
neongoats said:

Homework Statement

A student holds a book at rest on the palm of her hand. She lifts the book straight up, bringing it to rest again at a higher point.
1. Is the net work done on the book positive, negative, or zero?
2. Is the change in the gravitational potential energy positive, negative, or zero?
3. Is the total mechanical energy conserved?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I feel like the net work is zero, because as she speeds the book up the work being done is positive, but the work is negative when she begins to slow back down again. I also feel like the answer could potentially be positive though, because the speed is not constant and the displacement is upward.
2. I feel like this is positive because the displacement of the book is upward
3. I feel like this is true but I don't fully understand why that is.

1) is correct, the net work is zero, according to the work-energy theorem.
2) is correct, the gravitational potential energy increases.
3) The mechanical energy is equal to KE+PE. Is it conserved?
The force you exert while moving the book is not a conservative force. It changes the mechanical energy.

ehild said:
1) is correct, the net work is zero, according to the work-energy theorem.
2) is correct, the gravitational potential energy increases.
3) The mechanical energy is equal to KE+PE. Is it conserved?
The force you exert while moving the book is not a conservative force. It changes the mechanical energy.
Ohhh that makes sense, thank you so much!

Related to Solving a Physics Homework Problem: Work, Energy, and Conservation

1. How do I approach solving a physics homework problem on work, energy, and conservation?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem, identifying the given information and what is being asked. Then, make a list of all relevant equations and variables. Next, use the appropriate equation(s) to solve for the unknown quantity, making sure to show all units and conversions. Finally, check your answer to ensure it makes sense and is reasonable.

2. What are the key concepts I need to understand in order to solve these types of problems?

It is important to have a strong understanding of work, energy, and conservation laws. This includes knowing the definitions of these terms, as well as how to calculate work and different forms of energy (kinetic, potential, and mechanical). It is also important to understand the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

3. How do I know which equation(s) to use in a given problem?

This will depend on the specific problem and what is being asked. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem in order to determine which equations are relevant. It may also be helpful to make a list of all relevant equations and variables before starting to solve the problem.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving these types of problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for all forms of energy present in the problem, such as kinetic and potential energy. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Another mistake is using the wrong equation or plugging in the wrong values.

5. What are some tips for checking my work and ensuring I have the correct answer?

One tip is to double check all calculations and conversions to make sure they are correct. It can also be helpful to estimate the answer before solving the problem to have an idea of what the answer should be. Additionally, checking the units and making sure they are consistent can help catch any mistakes. Finally, if possible, it is always a good idea to have someone else check your work for accuracy.