Solving a problem with the shell method

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by "our upper bound is \sin^{-1}(y) and our lower bound is y=0". Can you clarify?In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the volume of a region bounded by certain lines and a curve rotated around the y-axis. The formula for the disk and shell method were discussed, with an emphasis on using the disk method. The volume of an arbitrary disk was determined to be dV=\pi r^2\,dy and the limits of integration were found to be 0\le y\le 1. The conversation also touched on the importance of including the differential in the integrals. Ultimately, the volume was solved using the method of integration by parts
Petrus
Hello MHB,
Consider the region bounded by the lines \(\displaystyle x=0\),\(\displaystyle y=1\) and curve
\(\displaystyle y=\sin(x)\), \(\displaystyle 0\leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{2}\) decide the volume when it rotate in y-axe ( Tips: \(\displaystyle t=\sin^{-1}(y)\) can be usefull)
I got pretty confused what my integral limit shall be. I know the formula will be
\(\displaystyle \pi\int_a^b xf(x)^2 \).

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: shell method

The formula you have cited pertains to the disk method. After having sketched the region to be rotated, I find the volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=x\)

\(\displaystyle h=1-\sin(x)\)

However, given the hint you have included, I suspect you are to use the disk method instead. What is the volume of an arbitrary disk?

MarkFL said:
The formula you have cited pertains to the disk method. After having sketched the region to be rotated, I find the volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=x\)

\(\displaystyle h=1-\sin(x)\)

However, given the hint you have included, I suspect you are to use the disk method instead. What is the volume of an arbitrary disk?
Hello Mark,
\(\displaystyle \int_a^bf(x)^2 = \int_a^b\arcsin^2(y)\) I am still kinda confused what our limit shall be
Regards,

You have left off the differential from your definite integrals, which is the thickness of the disks, and will tell you with respect to which variable you are integrating, and thus, what your limits need to be. The volume of an arbitrary disk is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi r^2\,dy\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=x=\sin^{-1}(y)\)

hence:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi\left(\sin^{-1}(y) \right)^2\,dy\)

So, what values does $y$ have in the summation of the disks?

MarkFL said:
You have left off the differential from you definite integrals, which is the thickness of the disks, and will tell you with respect to which variable you are integrating, and thus, what your limits need to be. The volume of an arbitrary disk is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi r^2\,dy\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=x=\sin^{-1}(y)\)

hence:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi\left(\sin^{-1}(y) \right)^2\,dy\)

So, what values does $y$ have in the summation of the disks?
Hello Mark,
If I have understand correctly, to get our y limit we got our x limit which is \(\displaystyle 0\leq x\leq\frac{\pi}{2}\) so our y limit will be \(\displaystyle \sin(0)=0\) and \(\displaystyle sin(\frac{\pi}{2})=1\) that means \(\displaystyle 0\leq y\leq1\) and about forgeting "dy" is something really bad cause I always think that in my and never write it up...

Regards,

Yes, those are the correct limits of integration:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\int_0^1\left(\sin^{-1}(y) \right)^2\,dy\)

How do you think you should proceed?

MarkFL said:
Yes, those are the correct limits of integration:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\int_0^1\left(\sin^{-1}(y) \right)^2\,dy\)

How do you think you should proceed?
Hello Mark,
I would do as they gave the tips. \(\displaystyle t=\sin^{-1}(y) \),\(\displaystyle \sin(t)=y <=> dy=\cos(t)dt\) for the limit \(\displaystyle y=0 <=> t=0\) and \(\displaystyle y=1 <=> t=\frac{\pi}{2}\) so we got
\(\displaystyle \pi\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}t^2\cos(t)dt\)
is this correct?

Regards,

Yes, that is correct! (Yes)

MarkFL said:
Yes, that is correct! (Yes)
Hello Mark,
First I want to thank you for taking your time and helping me!:) I have correctly integrate ( for those who is interested you will have to use integration by part twice) but I am interesting on the method you posted #2 I don't se how you get \(\displaystyle h=1-sin(x)\) the answer is \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi(\pi^2-8)}{4}\) I would like to solve this problem with disc method as well.

Regards,

Using the shell method, and referring to your sketch of the region to be revolved about the $y$=axis, can you see that the height of an arbitrary shell is the distance between the upper bound $y=1$ and the lower bound $y=\sin(x)$, and since on the given interval we have $\sin(x)\le1$, this distance is $1-\sin(x)$.

MarkFL said:
Using the shell method, and referring to your sketch of the region to be revolved about the $y$=axis, can you see that the height of an arbitrary shell is the distance between the upper bound $y=1$ and the lower bound $y=\sin(x)$, and since on the given interval we have $\sin(x)\le1$, this distance is $1-\sin(x)$.
Hello Mark,
this lead me to another question so basicly on what we did early our upper bound is \(\displaystyle \sin^{-1}(y)\) and our lower bound is \(\displaystyle y=0\) right? I think I did not understand that early but is this correct?

Regards,

The bounds for $x$ are actually stated in the problem:

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le\frac{\pi}{2}\)

Related to Solving a problem with the shell method

What is the shell method?

The shell method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution, typically a shape that is rotated around a vertical or horizontal axis. It involves using cylindrical shells to approximate the shape and calculating the volume of each shell to find the total volume.

When is the shell method used?

The shell method is used when finding the volume of a solid of revolution that cannot be easily solved using other methods, such as the disk method. It is also used when the shape being rotated is not a simple shape, such as a circle or rectangle.

What are the steps for using the shell method?

The steps for using the shell method are as follows:1. Draw a graph of the function being rotated and determine the limits of integration.2. Choose a variable to represent the radius of the cylindrical shells.3. Determine the height of each shell by subtracting the function value at the corresponding x-value from the axis of revolution.4. Write the integral for the volume of one shell.5. Integrate the integral to find the total volume.

What are the advantages of using the shell method?

The shell method is advantageous because it can be used to find the volume of more complex shapes, such as those with holes or curves. It also typically requires fewer calculations compared to other methods, making it more efficient for certain problems.

What are the limitations of the shell method?

The shell method is limited to finding the volume of shapes that can be rotated around a vertical or horizontal axis. It also cannot be used for shapes that intersect the axis of revolution, as this would result in overlapping shells and an incorrect volume calculation.