Solving a Second Order Homogeneous Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation involves the speaker discussing their experience solving a second order homogeneous differential equation using series. They were able to find a nice result for the even coefficients, but struggled to find one for the odd coefficients. The speaker also mentions that the given recursion relation was incorrect and provides their own solution for the odd coefficients using the double factorial function. They also mention that the first time they encountered this type of problem, it took them 4 hours to solve.
Kb1jij
I just finished a final in my differential equations class. One of the problems had me solve a second order homogeneous differential equation using series. I boiled it down to this recursion relation:

[tex]a_{n+2}=\frac{(n+3)a_{n}}{2(n+2)(n+1)}[/tex]

I found that the even coefficients work out nicely to the following sum:

[tex]y=a_{0}+\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{(n+1)a_{0}}{4*6^{n-2}}x^{n}[/tex]

I couldn't get a nice result for the odd coefficients and still can't find one. It's kind of bothering me now. Is it even possible? I can boil it down to this series:

[tex]\frac{1}{3},\frac{1}{20},\frac{1}{210},\frac{1}{3024},\frac{1}{55440},...[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wow, never mind that recursion relation is wrong. Silly me.

If anyone feels like it they are still welcome to find an expression for that sequence

Putting this recursion relation in closed form requires the use of the double factorial function (or equivalently, a half integer gamma function). Here is my solution for the odd coefficients:

[tex]
a_{n,odd} = a_1 \frac{2^{-\frac{n}{2}-\frac{3}{2}} \left(-1+(-1)^n\right) (n+1) }{n (n-2)!}[/tex]

You can see the definition of the double factorial here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DoubleFactorial.html

It is just like a regular factorial, instead of steps of one it decrements in steps of 2.

The first time I solved a series problem with a double factorial it took me 4 hours of really difficult thinking. After a bit of practice you can get used to how the 2^n factors combine with the odd integer double factorial, but it's a mind bender at first.

Related to Solving a Second Order Homogeneous Differential Equation

1. What is a second order homogeneous differential equation?

A second order homogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and a function of the dependent variable. It is considered homogeneous if all terms in the equation have the same degree in the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. What is the general solution to a second order homogeneous differential equation?

The general solution to a second order homogeneous differential equation is a solution that contains two arbitrary constants. It is obtained by solving the equation using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using a characteristic equation.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous second order differential equation?

A homogeneous second order differential equation has all terms with the same degree in the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-homogeneous equation has at least one term with a different degree. This difference affects the techniques used to solve the equations and the form of the general solution.

4. How do you determine the particular solution to a second order homogeneous differential equation?

The particular solution to a second order homogeneous differential equation is determined by applying initial or boundary conditions to the general solution. These conditions specify the value of the dependent variable and its derivative at a given point or over a given interval, which uniquely identifies the particular solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order homogeneous differential equations?

Second order homogeneous differential equations have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Examples include modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing electrical circuits, and predicting population growth. They are also used in control systems, signal processing, and optimization problems.