Solving a Transcendental Equation Using a Numerical or Graphical Method

In summary, the conversation is about finding the root of the equation y = 5(1 - e^-x) and using Newton's method to solve it. The person mentions using Planck's blackbody formula and Wien's displacement law, and also mentions using recursion relation to determine the solution. They also thank the other person for their help in understanding the concept of a transcendental equation.
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

I have this equation: y = 5(1 - e-x) and I need to find its root.

Homework Equations

I'm trying to go from Planck's blackbody formula to wien's displacement law by taking the derivative of Planck's blackbody formula with respect to wavelength and then setting it equal to 0 in order to find the maximum wavelength.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the correct answer because I found an old thread here where they found the intersection between y = x and this equation. However, I don't understand why that gives the correct answer, and I wouldn't know how to write that down as an answer for this homework problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
The transcendental equation would only have 1 variable, namely x. So

x = 5(1-e^-x)

You could add a second equation y=x. Then somehow solve them simultaneously. I would use Newton's method where you take the derivative and approach the solution iteratively.

Write

f(x) = x + 5e^-x - 5

Compute derivative f'(x)

Use recursion relation to determine where f(x)=0

x2 = x1 - f(x1)/f'(x1)

oh I see now, I was trying to use Newton's method but I had an incorrect understanding of what a transcendental equation was, so I was ending up with very weird results

thank you very much

Related to Solving a Transcendental Equation Using a Numerical or Graphical Method

1. What is a transcendental equation?

A transcendental equation is an equation that involves transcendental functions, such as trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions. These functions cannot be solved algebraically and require numerical or graphical methods to find solutions.

2. Why do we use numerical or graphical methods to solve transcendental equations?

Transcendental equations cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods due to the complexity of the functions involved. Therefore, numerical or graphical methods are used to approximate the solutions.

3. What is a numerical method for solving transcendental equations?

A numerical method involves using a sequence of numbers to approximate the solutions of a transcendental equation. This can be done through iterative methods, such as the bisection method or the Newton-Raphson method.

4. What is a graphical method for solving transcendental equations?

A graphical method involves plotting the transcendental equation on a graph and finding the intersection points with another line or curve. The coordinates of the intersection points are then used as approximate solutions.

5. Is there a guaranteed method for finding the exact solutions to transcendental equations?

No, there is no guaranteed method for finding the exact solutions to transcendental equations. However, using more accurate numerical or graphical methods and adjusting the parameters and precision of the calculations can result in more precise approximations of the solutions.