Solving Almheriri's Dilaton-Gravity Model in AdS##_2##

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation of motion for the Models of AdS2. The speaker is trying to compute the equation of motion by varying the action with respect to the metric, but is stuck and unsure about some assumptions made in the process. The speaker describes their calculations and notes that the given answer is different from what they have derived. The conversation ends with a discussion about the potential term and how it is eliminated in the final answer.
Fgard
I am going through Almheriri's article about " Models of AdS##_2## and I am stuck on a derivation. I think they make some kind of assumption which I don't understand.

What I am trying to do, is to compute the equation of motion by varying the action with respect to the metric. Unfortunately I am stuck; I know what the answer is, but it is not what I get. I'll describe first what I have done, firstly I have computed the Ricci scalar from the conformal gauge
$$ ds^2=-e^{2\omega}dx^-dx^+$$
which is ##R=8e^{-2\omega}\partial_+\partial_-\omega##. The action is
$$I=\int d^2x\sqrt{-h}(\Phi^2R+\lambda(\partial\Phi)^2-U(\Phi^2/d^2)) $$
where, ##\Phi^2## is the dilation, and ##U## is an arbitrary potential. To highlight the metric dependence of the action I have written as
$$I=\int d^2x\sqrt{-h}(\Phi^2h^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi-U(\Phi^2/d^2)). $$
Then I have the variation is
$$ \delta I=\int d^2x\left[\delta(\sqrt{-h})(\Phi^2h^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi-U(\Phi^2/d^2))+\sqrt{-h}(\Phi^2R_{\alpha\beta}\delta(h^{\alpha\beta})+\lambda \partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi\delta(h^{\alpha\beta})) \right]$$
where I have used that the boundary is static, and I have that the variation of ##\delta(\sqrt{-h})=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{-h}h_{\alpha\beta}\delta(h^{\alpha\beta}).##
Plugging that in,
$$-\frac{1}{2}h_{\alpha\beta}(\Phi^2h^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi-U(\Phi^2/d^2))+\Phi^2R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda \partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi=0, $$
then I could replace ##h^{\alpha\beta}h_{\alpha\beta}=\delta^{\alpha}_{\beta}##. But the problem is that I know that the answer is supposed to be just
$$ -e^{2\omega}\partial_+\left(e^{-2\omega}\partial_+\Phi^2 \right)=0,$$
and I don't see how I should get that. Especially, I don't understand how they get rid of the potential term.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fgard said:
I am going through Almheriri's article about " Models of AdS##_2## and I am stuck on a derivation. I think they make some kind of assumption which I don't understand.

What I am trying to do, is to compute the equation of motion by varying the action with respect to the metric. Unfortunately I am stuck; I know what the answer is, but it is not what I get. I'll describe first what I have done, firstly I have computed the Ricci scalar from the conformal gauge
$$ ds^2=-e^{2\omega}dx^-dx^+$$
which is ##R=8e^{-2\omega}\partial_+\partial_-\omega##. The action is
$$I=\int d^2x\sqrt{-h}(\Phi^2R+\lambda(\partial\Phi)^2-U(\Phi^2/d^2)) $$
where, ##\Phi^2## is the dilation, and ##U## is an arbitrary potential. To highlight the metric dependence of the action I have written as
$$I=\int d^2x\sqrt{-h}(\Phi^2h^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi-U(\Phi^2/d^2)). $$
Then I have the variation is
$$ \delta I=\int d^2x\left[\delta(\sqrt{-h})(\Phi^2h^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi-U(\Phi^2/d^2))+\sqrt{-h}(\Phi^2R_{\alpha\beta}\delta(h^{\alpha\beta})+\lambda \partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi\delta(h^{\alpha\beta})) \right]$$
where I have used that the boundary is static, and I have that the variation of ##\delta(\sqrt{-h})=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{-h}h_{\alpha\beta}\delta(h^{\alpha\beta}).##
Plugging that in,
$$-\frac{1}{2}h_{\alpha\beta}(\Phi^2h^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi-U(\Phi^2/d^2))+\Phi^2R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda \partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi=0, $$
then I could replace ##h^{\alpha\beta}h_{\alpha\beta}=\delta^{\alpha}_{\beta}##. But the problem is that I know that the answer is supposed to be just
and I don't see how I should get that. Especially, I don't understand how they get rid of the potential term.

I guess you missed some terms in ##\delta R##
$$\delta R=R_{\alpha\beta} \delta g^{\alpha\beta}+g_{\alpha\beta} \delta R^{\alpha\beta}=R_{\alpha\beta} \delta g^{\alpha\beta}+g_{\alpha\beta}\nabla^2 \delta g^{\alpha\beta}-\nabla_\alpha \nabla_\beta \delta g^{\alpha\beta}$$

A quick remark: you have double indices, so your expression in the OP becomes probably

Fgard said:

Plugging that in,
$$-\frac{1}{2}h_{\alpha\beta}(\Phi^2h^{\mu\nu}R_{\mu\nu}+\lambda h^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\Phi\partial_{\nu}\Phi-U(\Phi^2/d^2))+\Phi^2R_{\alpha\beta}+\lambda \partial_{\alpha}\Phi\partial_{\beta}\Phi=0, $$

Your remark about the contraction between your metric and inverse metric then becomes wrong (which is wrong anyway; a total contraction becomes 2, the trace of the identity matrix in 2 dimensions).

1. What is Almheriri's Dilaton-Gravity Model in AdS##_2##?

Almheriri's Dilaton-Gravity Model in AdS##_2## is a theoretical model that combines elements of both string theory and general relativity to describe the behavior of gravity in Anti-de Sitter space with two dimensions. It proposes the existence of a scalar field, known as the dilaton, which affects the strength of the gravitational force.

2. What is the significance of solving this model?

Solving Almheriri's Dilaton-Gravity Model in AdS##_2## would provide valuable insights into the nature of gravity and its relationship with other fundamental forces in our universe. It could also potentially lead to a better understanding of the properties of string theory and the behavior of spacetime in higher dimensions.

3. What is the current status of solving this model?

This model is still an area of active research in theoretical physics. While some progress has been made in understanding its properties, a complete solution has not yet been achieved.

4. How do scientists approach solving this model?

Scientists use mathematical tools and techniques from both string theory and general relativity to analyze and solve this model. This may involve complex calculations and computer simulations to test various hypotheses and predictions.

5. What are some potential implications of solving this model?

Solving Almheriri's Dilaton-Gravity Model in AdS##_2## could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. It could also have practical applications in fields such as cosmology and quantum gravity. Additionally, it may help to bridge the gap between string theory and general relativity, two major theories in modern physics.