Solving an Equation: Overcoming the r's

• A
  • Thread starter mhirschb
  • Start date
In summary, the first equation obtains B_z from A_\theta by multiplying by r, differentiating with respect to r, and then dividing by r. To obtain A_\theta from B_z, these steps are reversed by multiplying by r, integrating with respect to r with a lower limit of 0, and then dividing by r. The introduction of the dummy variable r' is necessary in the definite integration to avoid potential infinite values at r = 0.
mhirschb
I feel silly but I've been looking at this equation for a while and I don't fully understand the individual steps taken to go from the top line to the bottom line:
MVP theta component.png

I think I am getting caught up with all the r's in the equation. I recognize that on the second line "r" describes the point at which we are evaluating the MVP, and r' is the domain of r that we're integrating over.
I'm confused because it looks like they've taken the 1/r and changed it to r' on the other side.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation obtains [itex]B_z[/itex] from [itex]A_\theta[/itex] bythe following steps:
  • Multiply by [itex]r[/itex].
  • Differentiate with respect to [itex]r[/itex].
  • Divide by [itex]r[/itex].

Therefore [itex]A_\theta[/itex] is obtained from [itex]B_z[/itex] by reversing these steps:
  • Integrate with respect to [itex]r[/itex]. This is done as a definite integral with lower limit 0, because any other choice of lower limit would make [itex]A_\theta[/itex] potentially infinite at [itex]r = 0[/itex]. This definite integration requires the introduction of [itex]r'[/itex] as a dummy variable of integration, because it is bad practise to use [itex]r[/itex] as both a limit of the integral and the dummy variable of integration.

Likes mhirschb
pasmith said:
The first equation obtains [itex]B_z[/itex] from [itex]A_\theta[/itex] bythe following steps:
  • Differentiate with respect to [itex]r[/itex].

Therefore [itex]A_\theta[/itex] is obtained from [itex]B_z[/itex] by reversing these steps:
  • Integrate with respect to [itex]r[/itex]. This is done as a definite integral with lower limit 0, because any other choice of lower limit would make [itex]A_\theta[/itex] potentially infinite at [itex]r = 0[/itex]. This definite integration requires the introduction of [itex]r'[/itex] as a dummy variable of integration, because it is bad practise to use [itex]r[/itex] as both a limit of the integral and the dummy variable of integration.
Ah! It makes so much sense now I wanna facepalm!

Thank you for the explanation. It became clear when I needed to introduce the dummy variable r'.

1. How do I solve an equation with multiple variables?

To solve an equation with multiple variables, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation to cancel out the other variables. Once you have isolated the variable, you can solve for it using basic algebraic principles.

2. What is the importance of the order of operations when solving an equation?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction), is crucial when solving an equation. This is because it dictates the order in which operations should be performed, ensuring that the equation is solved correctly and consistently.

3. How do I know if my solution to an equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If the equation is true when the solution is substituted, then it is a correct solution. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your solution.

4. What should I do if I encounter an equation with fractions?

To solve an equation with fractions, you can first try to simplify the fractions by finding a common denominator and then combining like terms. If this is not possible, you can also multiply both sides of the equation by the least common multiple (LCM) of the denominators to eliminate the fractions.

5. How can I check my work when solving an equation?

One way to check your work is to solve the equation using a different method or approach, such as graphing or using a calculator. You can also ask someone else to check your work or use an online equation solver. Additionally, you can double-check your steps and calculations to ensure that you did not make any errors.