Analysis of converting a DE into complex DE

In summary, in Lecture 7, Prof. Arthur Mattuck (MIT OCW 18.03) taught that the following equation$$y’ +ky = k \cos(\omega t)$$can be solved by replacing cos⁡(ωt) by ##e^{\omega t}## and, rewriting thus,$$\tilde{y’} + k\tilde{y}= ke^{i \omega t}$$Where ##\tilde{y} = y_1 + i y_2##. And the solution of the first equation is the real part of the solution of the second equation. The purpose to go from first equation to
Hall
In Lecture 7, Prof. Arthur Mattuck (MIT OCW 18.03) taught that the following equation
$$
y’ +ky = k \cos(\omega t)$$
can be solved by replacing cos⁡(ωt) by ##e^{\omega t}## and, rewriting thus,
$$
\tilde{y’} + k\tilde{y}= ke^{i \omega t}
$$
Where ##\tilde{y} = y_1 + i y_2##. And the solution of the first equation is the real part of the solution of the second equation. The purpose to go from first equation to the second is to ease the process of solving.

I believed the transformation, and it also doesn’t seem very alien, but I just want to know more about it. Can Real/Complex analysis prove that the real part of the solution of the second equation is the solution of the first equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hall said:
In Lecture 7, Prof. Arthur Mattuck (MIT OCW 18.03) taught that the following equation
$$
y’ +ky = k \cos(\omega t)$$
can be solved by replacing cos⁡(ωt) by ##e^{\omega t}## and, rewriting thus,
$$
\tilde{y’} + k\tilde{y}= ke^{i \omega t}
$$
Where ##\tilde{y} = y_1 + i y_2##. And the solution of the first equation is the real part of the solution of the second equation. The purpose to go from first equation to the second is to ease the process of solving.

I believed the transformation, and it also doesn’t seem very alien, but I just want to know more about it. Can Real/Complex analysis prove that the real part of the solution of the second equation is the solution of the first equation?
I'm not sure what you are asking.
##\tilde{y} = y_1 + i y_2 \implies \tilde{y}' = y_1' + i y_2'##

So what is the real part of ##\tilde{y}' + k \tilde{y} = e^{it}##?

You get that the real part of the solution is what you need pretty much just by definition.

-Dan

Likes DrClaude and fresh_42
topsquark said:
I'm not sure what you are asking.
##\tilde{y} = y_1 + i y_2 \implies \tilde{y}' = y_1' + i y_2'##

So what is the real part of ##\tilde{y}' + k \tilde{y} = e^{it}##?

You get that the real part of the solution is what you need pretty much just by definition.

-Dan
$$
\tilde{y’}+ k\tilde{y}= k e^{i \omega t}$$
Is basically a composition of two differential equations, real part and imaginary part. Why solving the complete equation solves the composite parts? And sifting the solution gives the solution of composite parts?

In physics it is an Axiom that if ##\mathbf{F}= F_x \hat{i} + F_y\hat{j}## is applied to an object, the effect of ##F_x## and ##F_y## can be analysed independently, they don’t affect each other’s domain. Same is the Axiom in projectile motions.

But mathematics doesn’t state any such Axiom.

Hall said:
$$
\tilde{y’}+ k\tilde{y}= k e^{i \omega t}$$
Is basically a composition of two differential equations, real part and imaginary part. Why solving the complete equation solves the composite parts? And sifting the solution gives the solution of composite parts?

In physics it is an Axiom that if ##\mathbf{F}= F_x \hat{i} + F_y\hat{j}## is applied to an object, the effect of ##F_x## and ##F_y## can be analysed independently, they don’t affect each other’s domain. Same is the Axiom in projectile motions.

Actually it does, but I can't think of the name of it. (The term "extension field" comes to mind but I'd have to look it up to be sure.) It comes from Algebra and is actually a Mathematical reason that we should suspect that motion in two perpendicular directions in independent. Though I'll admit that the extension field idea came later on.

But in any case, the resulting complex equation is linear and we can still solve it easily and under the same rules as for real variables. So the complex nature of the equation doesn't change anything about simply taking the real part at the end... everything is still nice and linear so you can decompose the real part without any troubles. There is no abstract mixing of complex and real solutions to complicate anything. (I don't think it would matter in any case but I don't have the Linear Algebra to prove that in general.)

-Dan

Likes Hall
I agree with @topsquark, there is no mystery here. But let me try it another way:

Hall said:
Why solving the complete equation solves the composite parts? And sifting the solution gives the solution of composite parts?
Edit: thanks to @pasmith for providing a correct explanation below - I have deleted mine.

Because if ## z = h(t) ## is a solution to ## z' = h'(z, t) ## then ## x = \operatorname{Re}(z) = \operatorname{Re}(h(t)) ## is a solution to ## x' = \operatorname{Re}(z') = \operatorname{Re}(h'(z, t)) ##.

If that doesn't work for you, try: if ## x + iy = f(x, t) + ig(y, t) ## is a solution to ## x' + iy' = f'(x, t) + ig'(x, t) ## then ## x = \operatorname{Re}(f(t) + ig(t)) = f(t) ## is a solution to ## x' = \operatorname{Re}(x' + iy') = \operatorname{Re}(f'(x, t) + ig(x, t)) = f'(x, t) ## (provided ## x, y, f, g ## are all real).

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Hall said:

I think this only works if [itex]\mathbf{F} = k(t)\dot{\mathbf{x}} + l(t)\mathbf{x}+ \mathbf{c}(t)[/itex]; otherwise you can't really analyse vertical and horizontal motion separately. And in this case instead of using vectors, you could use complex numbers: set [itex]F = F_x + iF_y[/itex] and [itex]z = x + iy[/itex].

This separation of real and imaginary parts works only when the ODE is linear with real coefficients. In this case [itex]z' + kz[/itex] is a linear operator, and if [tex]
\begin{split} x' + kx &= f(t) \\ y' + ky &= g(t) \end{split}[/tex] then we can form the linear combination [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] and adding the first equation to [itex]i[/itex] times the second equation gives us [tex]
z' + kz = f(t) + ig(t).[/tex] However this is really only useful when [tex]f(t) + ig(t) = e^{at}(\cos(bt) + i\sin(bt)) = e^{(a + ib)t}[/tex] because multiplying this by the integrating factor [itex]e^{kt}[/itex] gives us something which is easily integrated: [tex]
\frac{d}{dt}(ze^{kt}) = \frac{1}{k + a + ib}\frac{d}{dt}e^{(k + a + ib)t} = \frac{k + a - ib}{(k + a)^2 + b^2}\frac{d}{dt}e^{(k + a + ib)t}[/tex] Now the real and imaginary parts of [itex]z[/itex] can be extracted and we have solved both [tex]\begin{split}
x' + kx &= e^{at}\cos(bt) \\
y' + ky &= e^{at}\sin(bt)\end{split}[/tex] with only one integration (which if we'd stuck with real variables throughout would have been by parts).

Note that linearity is critical; if we had [itex]z' + kz^2[/itex] on the left hand side then this would not have worked: [tex]
x^2 + iy^2 \neq x^2 - y^2 + 2ixy = z^2.[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Hall, hutchphd, topsquark and 1 other person
pasmith said:
Note that linearity is critical; if we had [itex]z' + kz^2[/itex] on the left hand side then this would not have worked: [tex]
x^2 + iy^2 \neq x^2 - y^2 + 2ixy = z^2.[/tex]
Oh good point - I'll edit my post.

1. What is a differential equation (DE)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What is the process of converting a DE into a complex DE?

The process of converting a DE into a complex DE involves replacing the real-valued variables and functions with complex-valued ones. This allows for a wider range of solutions and can simplify the analysis of the equation.

3. Why would someone want to convert a DE into a complex DE?

Converting a DE into a complex DE can make the equation easier to solve or analyze, especially for equations with complex solutions. It can also provide a more general solution that includes both real and complex solutions.

4. What are some techniques for converting a DE into a complex DE?

One technique is to replace the real-valued variables with complex-valued ones and then manipulate the equation using complex algebra. Another technique is to use the Laplace transform, which can transform a real DE into a complex DE that is easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a DE into a complex DE?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting a DE into a complex DE. It may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution or transform, and the resulting complex DE may be more difficult to solve than the original real DE. Additionally, the solutions of the complex DE may not always correspond to physical or real-world solutions.