Solving Ant's Tightrope Wave Problem

• Thread starter jamesm113
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the minimum wave amplitude A_min for the ant to become momentarily weightless as the wave passes underneath it. The mass of the ant is assumed to be too small to affect the wave propagation. There is a previous thread discussing this question, with informative posts from member ehild.
jamesm113
A large ant is standing on the middle of a circus tightrope that is stretched with tension T_s. The rope has mass per unit length mu. Wanting to shake the ant off the rope, a tightrope walker moves her foot up and down near the end of the tightrope, generating a sinusoidal transverse wave of wavelength lambda and amplitude A. Assume that the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity is g.

My answer of A= g lambda^2/(32T_s) is wrong, and my web based homework system tells me I am off by a multiplicative factor.

I got my answer by finding out how much distance it would take for a particle on the wire to go from y=0 to y=A (lambda/4), then finding the time it would take for the wave to travel that length (lambda/4 * sqrt(u/T_s)). I then plugged that into the kinematics equation y=y_o + v_ot+1/2at^2. This gave me A = 1/2at^2, and plugged in the variables I knew, giving me the answer above.

Please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesm113 said:
A large ant is standing on the middle of a circus tightrope that is stretched with tension T_s. The rope has mass per unit length mu. Wanting to shake the ant off the rope, a tightrope walker moves her foot up and down near the end of the tightrope, generating a sinusoidal transverse wave of wavelength lambda and amplitude A. Assume that the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity is g.

My answer of A= g lambda^2/(32T_s) is wrong, and my web based homework system tells me I am off by a multiplicative factor.

I got my answer by finding out how much distance it would take for a particle on the wire to go from y=0 to y=A (lambda/4), then finding the time it would take for the wave to travel that length (lambda/4 * sqrt(u/T_s)). I then plugged that into the kinematics equation y=y_o + v_ot+1/2at^2. This gave me A = 1/2at^2, and plugged in the variables I knew, giving me the answer above.

Please help. Thanks!
What does the question ask you to find?

AM

What is the minimum wave amplitude A_min such that the ant will become momentarily weightless at some point as the wave passes underneath it? Assume that the mass of the ant is too small to have any effect on the wave propagation.

Related to Solving Ant's Tightrope Wave Problem

What is the "Solving Ant's Tightrope Wave Problem"?

The "Solving Ant's Tightrope Wave Problem" is a scientific problem that involves understanding how ants are able to navigate and communicate on a tightrope.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it can provide insights into the behavior and communication of ants, which can have implications for other social insects and potentially for human communication systems.

What are some proposed solutions to this problem?

Some proposed solutions include studying the pheromones and vibrations that ants use to communicate, as well as examining the anatomy and behavior of ants on a tightrope.

How can this problem be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding how ants communicate on a tightrope could potentially be applied in fields such as robotics and swarm intelligence, where efficient communication and navigation are important.

What are the challenges in solving this problem?

The challenges in solving this problem include the complexity of ant behavior and communication, as well as the difficulty in conducting experiments on ants on a tightrope in a controlled environment.