Solving Car Suspension Modeling: Understanding Input Forces and Movement Types

In summary, the system has a rotational movement and a linear movement. The torsional bar acts as a spring and has rotational inertia. There is no torque also.
Lord Doppler
Homework Statement
Find the mathematic model of car suspension, express the movement equations in differential equations U(t)
Relevant Equations
F = ma
T = Ja
Hello, I'm trying to solve this problem but I'm confused with some things, is correct that in the system there are two input forces, the torque and u(t)? I assumed that the system has two free levels, which are the z displacement and theta (rotational movement), so the system has a linear movement and a rotational movement? Besides the KT spring inside of the arm how I can intepret it? I'm not sure how to board this problem
1616559923960.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Doppler said:
is correct that in the system there are two input forces, the torque and u(t)?
There is also the damping force from element ##b##.
Lord Doppler said:
I assumed that the system has two free levels, which are the z displacement and theta (rotational movement), so the system has a linear movement and a rotational movement?
Just the rotational movement. The linear movement you are referring to is a direct consequence of the rotation.
Lord Doppler said:
Besides the KT spring inside of the arm how I can intepret it?
It is a torsional spring. ##K_T## would be the torsional stiffness which links the torque and the angular displacement.

Likes Lord Doppler
It seems to me that the only input force to the system is U.
That input makes the two parts of the system oscilate:
1) The mass-less pivoting arm with the mass m, onto which U is acting vertically.
2) The torsion bar, which acts as a spring and having rotational inertia.

You can consider the points represented by a cross to be common fixed points, all interconnected via chassis of the car.

The damper is located at distance r1 from the pivot, so its effect on stopping m should be reduced (respect to a classical oscillating spring-damper system).
The given angle also reduces the effect of U about the pivot and torsion bar.

The effect of the torsional and linear resistances or springs should be added up, as they seem to be working in series rather than in parallel.

Likes Lord Doppler
Lnewqban said:
It seems to me that the only input force to the system is U.
That input makes the two parts of the system oscilate:
1) The mass-less pivoting arm with the mass m, onto which U is acting vertically.
2) The torsion bar, which acts as a spring and having rotational inertia.

You can consider the points represented by a cross to be common fixed points, all interconnected via chassis of the car.

The damper is located at distance r1 from the pivot, so its effect on stopping m should be reduced (respect to a classical oscillating spring-damper system).
The given angle also reduces the effect of U about the pivot and torsion bar.

The effect of the torsional and linear resistances or springs should be added up, as they seem to be working in series rather than in parallel.
I agree when you say that U is the only input force, but there is no a torque T also? Like input force I mean

Yes, the torsional bar will never see what is causing the torque that it has to resist.
That torque is the combination of U and horizontal projection of the arm’s length r2.
Note that directions of U and distance about the torsion bar must be perpendicular for proper calculation.
Same applies for resistive force of damper b.

Likes Lord Doppler
Lnewqban said:
Yes, the torsional bar will never see what is causing the torque that it has to resist.
That torque is the combination of U and horizontal projection of the arm’s length r2.
Note that directions of U and distance about the torsion bar must be perpendicular for proper calculation.
Same applies for resistive force of damper b.
Thanks!

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is car suspension modeling?

Car suspension modeling is the process of creating a mathematical representation of a car's suspension system. It involves understanding the forces acting on the suspension and how the car's movement is affected by these forces.

2. Why is it important to understand input forces in car suspension modeling?

Input forces, such as bumps and turns on the road, are the main factors that affect a car's suspension system. By understanding these forces, we can design and optimize the suspension to provide a smooth and safe ride for the driver and passengers.

3. What are the different types of movement in car suspension modeling?

The three main types of movement in car suspension modeling are heave, pitch, and roll. Heave is the vertical movement of the car, pitch is the rotation around the front-to-back axis, and roll is the rotation around the side-to-side axis.

4. How do engineers use car suspension modeling to improve car performance?

By using car suspension modeling, engineers can simulate different road conditions and input forces to optimize the suspension design for improved performance. This can result in better handling, stability, and comfort for the driver and passengers.

5. What factors affect the accuracy of car suspension modeling?

The accuracy of car suspension modeling can be affected by various factors, such as the complexity of the suspension system, the precision of the input data, and the accuracy of the mathematical models used. Real-world testing and validation are also important to ensure the accuracy of the simulation results.