Solving Chemical Equilibrium Concentrations Within a Rocket Nozzle

In summary: Thanks for the suggestion!In summary, the author is looking for a way to algorithmically minimize gibbs energy for a given group of chemical species. They are not familiar with the books that boneh3ad and I have cited and are looking for a way to find help.
BrandonBerchtold
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a comprehensive resource from which to learn how to solve chemical equilibrium concentrations along a rocket nozzle.
I would like to write a program to calculate the equilibrium concentrations of 10 or more chemical species at any axial location along a quasi 1D isentropic methane-liquid oxygen rocket nozzle. Is anyone aware of any good textbooks that cover this topic in depth, specifically dealing with large numbers of species and the process for solving for their concentrations?

I'm trying to create a program similar to the CEARUN program (https://cearun.grc.nasa.gov/).

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you already familiar with non-reacting computational fluid dynamics?

Likes BrandonBerchtold
I am familiar with CFD theory though I have limited hands on experience with implementing it. I took an FEM course during my undergrad where we solved thermal conduction problems using our own FEM code. I'm currently half way through reading "Modern Compressible Flow: With Historical Perspective by John Anderson" which outlines the theory behind fluid dynamic problems and I feel quite comfortable working with the governing equations outlined in the book.

First, I'm not a computationalist; I do experiments, so I won't be able to entirely solve your problem, but maybe I can point you in the right direction. What sort of fidelity are you looking for here?

From what I found in "Rocket Propulsion Elements" and "Modern Engineering for Design of liquid Propellant Rocket Engines", generally nozzle design can be done by assuming frozen composition flow throughout the nozzle (which generally underestimates temperatures), equilibrium composition flow (which usually overestimates temps), and finite rate reacting flow (which is closest to reality). I designed a nozzle using frozen flow so now I'd like to design one for an equilibrium flow to give a bound on the temperatures my nozzle could experience.

The fidelity I'm looking for is not very high considering I'm already assuming the flow is quasi-1D, isentropic, inviscid, and is always at equilibrium(infinitely fast reaction rate regardless of temperature).

From what I've read, I think I'm looking for a way to algorithmically minimize gibbs energy for a given group of chemical species?

I am not familiar with the books you cite (my background is external aerodynamics with a bit of a branch into some internal stuff), but I do have a few thoughts on this that may or may not be helpful.

Be careful with things like isentropic assumptions here. How do you even define a ratio of specific heats appropriately in a reacting flow? You'll definitely want to be careful with your equation of state such that it takes such real gas effects into account.

You'll need some kind of kinetic modeling here, I imagine. You might check some of the the high temperature and/or combustion texts out there for examples of what is common. Something like Anderson's Hypersonic and High-Temperature Gas Dynamics would have a discussion of modeling chemistry, dissociation, ionization, etc., though is focus is external. It has a raft of citations as well that might point you in the right direction. Your rocket propulsion texts likely have references in the sections they talk about the different methods for doing this as well.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and BrandonBerchtold
Thanks for the suggestions boneh3ad. I haven't worked much with real gases so I will definitely be getting myself a copy of Anderson's Hypersonic and High-Temperature Gas Dynamics to hopefully get a better understanding of treatment of such gases.

Likes berkeman
Joe Shepherd from Caltech has written a compressible 'shock and detonation' solver called SDT that connects to the thermodynamics and chemistry package Cantera. It looks like you want to write something similar.
Cantera is the go-to code for 0D and 1D incompressible reacting flow problems in the combustion community. If you do something with combustion, you might already know it:
https://cantera.org/
SDT is less well known:
https://shepherd.caltech.edu/EDL/PublicResources/sdt/nb/sdt_intro.slides.html
And here is a lot of documentation that you can use if you want to write your own code:
https://shepherd.caltech.edu/EDL/publications.html
And here is a theoretical introduction from Shepherd:
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.181.1150&rep=rep1&type=pdf

As you can see from the examples on the SDT website, just *using* the software already takes considerable effort and some programming skills. it took several years to write these codes, so you should really focus on a specific problem if you want to write something yourself.

Next to the suggestion of @boneh3ad I can recommend 'Combustion Physics' by C.K. Law. It's a classic textbook on combustion theory with a large chapter on supersonic combustion. If you are not familiar with combustion, you should read this book first, or at least the first 8 chapters (supersonic flows is chapter 14).

• Informative
Likes berkeman and BrandonBerchtold
Oh wow, that's perfect @bigfooted! I am definitely going to have to read up on combustion physics before touching the code but that looks like it'll be perfect for my project.

Likes berkeman

1. What is chemical equilibrium in the context of a rocket nozzle?

Chemical equilibrium refers to the state where the rate of forward and reverse reactions are equal, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products within the rocket nozzle.

2. How do you calculate the concentrations of reactants and products in a rocket nozzle?

The concentrations can be calculated using the equilibrium constant (K) and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. The equation for this is K = [Products]/[Reactants], where the concentrations are in mol/L.

3. What factors affect the chemical equilibrium concentrations within a rocket nozzle?

The temperature, pressure, and initial concentrations of reactants and products all play a role in determining the equilibrium concentrations. Changes in any of these factors can shift the equilibrium and affect the final concentrations.

4. How can the equilibrium concentrations be optimized for maximum rocket performance?

To optimize the equilibrium concentrations, the temperature, pressure, and initial concentrations of reactants and products must be carefully controlled. This can be achieved through precise design and engineering of the rocket nozzle and its operating conditions.

5. What are the potential challenges in solving for chemical equilibrium concentrations within a rocket nozzle?

Some potential challenges include accurately measuring and controlling the initial concentrations of reactants and products, accounting for any changes in temperature and pressure during the rocket's operation, and accurately predicting the equilibrium constant for the specific reaction taking place in the nozzle.