Solving Confusing Text in Wiki Friedmann Article

In summary, there is an issue with the sign of Ω0,k in the Wikipedia article on Friedmann equations, which can be misleading to a naive reader. The article also lacks clarity on the variable k and its corresponding curvature values. It is suggested to bring this to the attention of the article's writers/editors or edit it oneself, as Wikipedia should always be checked against other sources.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
From time to time I come across some text in a Wikipedia article that is quite misleading to a naive reader. The following is an example:
Wiki Friedmann Eq.png

The problem is that the sign of Ω0,k is backwards. That is the sign is positive for a universe with negative (hyperbolic) curvature, and negative for a universe with positive (hyperspherical) curvature. In particular, the variable k was previously introduced with a description that k=+1 corresponds to positive curvature, and k=-1 corresponds to negative curvature.

I am hopeful that some knowledgeable PFs participant will edit the article to make this clear to a naive reader. There are several reasons why I do not feel competent to do this myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could also post in the wiki article "talk" page about your confusion and the folks who wrote / edited that article can fix it. I think that would be more effective and faster means to bring it to their attention.

edit: I looked at the talk page and saw that there is a lot of discussion already on this article. If you read through it you might find someone has brought up the same issues as you and if not then its your turn.

Likes vanhees71 and Buzz Bloom
Hi jedishrfu:

Thanks for your post. I think your suggestion is a good idea.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes jedishrfu
You can also edit yourself. I value wiki as a free first source that always must checked against other sources, sometimes those listed within wiki are good. If you find it useful, you can add to it.

PAllen said:
You can also edit yourself.
Hi Paul:

Actually I don't know how to create the notations for Greek letters and subscripts in Wikipedia. I entered a description of what has to be fixed on the talk page, and I hope someone will fix it.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the purpose of solving confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article?

The purpose of solving confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article is to make the information more clear and understandable for readers. By identifying and addressing confusing language, the article becomes more accessible and accurate.

2. How do you identify confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article?

Confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article can be identified through a careful reading and analysis of the language used. Look for complex sentence structures, unclear definitions, and technical jargon that may be difficult for the average reader to understand.

3. What are some common techniques for solving confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article?

Some common techniques for solving confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article include simplifying complex language, providing clear definitions and explanations, and breaking down long sentences into shorter ones. Additionally, using visual aids such as diagrams or charts can also help clarify confusing concepts.

4. Is it important to solve confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article?

Yes, it is important to solve confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article as it ensures that accurate and understandable information is being presented to readers. Confusing text can lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations, which can ultimately impact the credibility of the article.

5. How can solving confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article benefit readers?

Solving confusing text in the Wiki Friedmann article can benefit readers by making the information more accessible and understandable. This can help readers gain a better understanding of the topic and potentially spark their interest in learning more about it. It also allows for a wider audience to access the information, regardless of their level of expertise in the subject.