Solving Dice Throwing Problem: Is Shared Outcome Higher/Lower Than Expected?

• MHB
  • Thread starter b-boy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary, the best way to approach this problem is to use a statistical test, such as the chi-squared test, to compare the actual number of shared outcomes against the expected number of shared outcomes and determine if the difference is statistically significant.
b-boy
Hi,I have the following problem that i don't know how to start solwing. I want to know if an occurence of my dice throwing outcomes is higher or lower then expected. I'll try to describe the problem as much as i can but if i miss something please feal free to ask. All I am looking for is a kick in the right direction.
let say i have two sets of dices one is black (B) the other is white (W). Now when i throw black dices (let say there are b=8 black dices and w=5 white ones) i get an outcome like this B={2,4,2,1,1,4,5,6 }. Then i throw the white ones and i get W={2,1,1,3,3}. My question is : given that B and W share 3 outcomes (shared outcomes: 1,1,2), is that more or less then expected. how would i start modeling my particular problem. Clearly i have a binom. distr. here but what confuses me is the numbr of dices in B and W.
Is it clear what i am looking for?? So I am interested to know if the intersect of shered outcomes is something that i would expect by chance alone or not. My model should only depend on b and w. Can someone please help me get started.thank you baxy

ps this is a post similar to the one on MHF but apperently the site as been compromizd so i have reposted it here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to start solving this problem is to use a statistical test, such as the chi-squared test. The chi-squared test is used to determine if two variables are statistically significantly associated with one another. In this case, you would use the chi-squared test to compare the number of shared outcomes between B and W against the expected number of shared outcomes, based on the total number of dices in each set. You would calculate the expected number of shared outcomes by multiplying the probability of an outcome in B with the probability of an outcome in W. For example, if there were 8 black dices and 5 white dices, the probability of a shared outcome would be 8/13 * 5/13 = 0.35. This would give you the expected number of shared outcomes. Then you would compare this expected number of shared outcomes against the actual number of shared outcomes. If the actual number is greater than the expected number, then it means that the occurrence of the shared outcomes is higher than expected, and vice versa. You can then use the chi-squared test to determine if the difference is statistically significant.

1. What is the "Solving Dice Throwing Problem"?

The Solving Dice Throwing Problem is a mathematical problem that involves predicting the outcome of throwing multiple dice. It is used to study probability and statistics, and has applications in fields such as gambling and game theory.

2. How is the problem solved?

The problem can be solved using various methods, such as using probability theory, mathematical equations, or computer simulations. The approach may vary depending on the specific scenario and the number of dice being thrown.

3. What is the expected outcome of throwing multiple dice?

The expected outcome of throwing multiple dice is the average of all possible outcomes. For example, if two dice are thrown, the expected outcome is 7, as there are 36 possible outcomes and 7 is the average of all these outcomes.

4. What does "shared outcome" refer to in this problem?

In this problem, "shared outcome" refers to the outcome that is common to all the dice being thrown. For example, if three dice are thrown, the shared outcome could be the number 3, as it can be rolled on all three dice.

5. Is the shared outcome usually higher or lower than the expected outcome?

The shared outcome can be either higher or lower than the expected outcome, depending on the number of dice being thrown and the specific scenario. In some cases, the shared outcome may be equal to the expected outcome, while in others it may be higher or lower.