Solving Exercise: Find Thickness of Rubber Insulation for Copper Wire

In summary, the copper wire has an electrical resistance of 0.5 mΩ/m and a current of 80 A. To prevent the maximum temperature in the insulating layer from exceeding 70 °C, a layer of rubber with a thickness of 6844 mm must be used.
Amaelle
Good day all, I tried to solve the following exercise, I would be glad to get feedback for my attempt ( indeed I was puzzled by the numerical solution I got just need to check it for any mistake:

A copper wire , 2mm in diameter and 100 m in length has an electrical resistance of 0,5 mΩ/m, the wire carries a current of 80 A and is insulated by using a layer of rubber kr=0,15W/mK
determine the thickness of the rubber needed to prevent the maximum temperature in the insulating layer from exceeding 70 °C and the rubber outer surface 40 °C.

My attempt
lets calculate the heat rate q:
q=Relectrical*I2
lets calulate the Resitance of rubber
Rrubber=ln(r2/r1)/(2πLk)

ΔT =Rrubber*qRrubber=ΔT/q
SO
ln(r2/r1)=2πLk*ΔT*q
SO

r2/r1=exp(2πLk*ΔT*q)
which means
r2=r1*exp(2πLk*ΔT*q)

any feed back would be highly appreciated!
thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about the current?

This is confusing. Try writing the answer in terms of symbols first, then put in the numbers at the very end. I suspect there is an error in unit conversion somewhere. Also, please use symbol R to denote either electrical or thermal resistance but not both.

Likes Amaelle
Chestermiller said:
Are you sure about the current?
thanks for your prompt answer! yes I'm pretty sure about it, but what about my approach is it correct?

kuruman said:
This is confusing. Try writing the answer in terms of symbols first, then put in the numbers at the very end. I suspect there is an error in unit conversion somewhere. Also, please use symbol R to denote either electrical or thermal resistance but not both.
thanks a lot for your interest
I tried to arrange the presentation

Amaelle said:
thanks for your prompt answer! yes I'm pretty sure about it, but what about my approach is it correct?
In my judgment, if you did the arithmetic right (including units), your approach is correct.

Did they say anything about an external convective heat transfer resistance between the outer surface and the bulk room air?

Likes Amaelle
no nothing ! I have reported the exercice as it is

ln(r2/r1)=2πLk*ΔT*q

The q should be in the denominator

Likes Amaelle
Chestermiller said:
ln(r2/r1)=2πLk*ΔT*q

The q should be in the denominator
Yes thank you you are right it was a tipo , but i got still the same awkward numerical results,
Thanks a million for you constructive feedback, you are awsome as always!

Amaelle said:
Yes thank you you are right it was a tipo , but i got still the same awkward numerical results,
Thanks a million for you constructive feedback, you are awsome as always!
I did not get the same numeral results when I did the calculation.

Chestermiller said:
I did not get the same numeral results when I did the calculation.
ln(r2/r1)=(2πLk*ΔT)q

q=R*I2=320W
ln(r2/r1)=(2π*100*0,15*30)/320=8,83125
r2=r1exp(8,83125)=6844,83 mm
is that wrong?

Amaelle said:
ln(r2/r1)=(2πLk*ΔT)q

q=R*I2=320W
ln(r2/r1)=(2π*100*0,15*30)/320=8,83125
r2=r1exp(8,83125)=6844,83 mm
is that wrong?
I must have made a mistake in arithmetic.

Likes Amaelle
Chestermiller said:
I must have made a mistake in arithmetic.
oh thanks and i wanted to write ln(r2/r1)=(2πLk*ΔT)/q as you pointed out earlier!
thanks a lot!

If we shall neglect the temperature drop from surface to air and the resistance increased due temperature it is correct.
Actually, 0.5 ohm will be the resistance of this wire at -2oC and at 70oC it will be 0.6566 ohm.
The surface to air thermal resistance is very high so for 6 mm insulation thickness it will be a minimum wire temperature of 201.15 oC.
That is why Chestermiller ask you if you are sure 80 A is the current.
Usually the thickness of insulation is 0.8 mm and the current carrying capacity [ampacity] will be 32 A

Likes Amaelle
Babadag said:
If we shall neglect the temperature drop from surface to air and the resistance increased due temperature it is correct.
Actually, 0.5 ohm will be the resistance of this wire at -2oC and at 70oC it will be 0.6566 ohm.
The surface to air thermal resistance is very high so for 6 mm insulation thickness it will be a minimum wire temperature of 201.15 oC.
That is why Chestermiller ask you if you are sure 80 A is the current.
Usually the thickness of insulation is 0.8 mm and the current carrying capacity [ampacity] will be 32 A
I
Ok then I see :) thanks a lot for your insights!

1. What is the purpose of finding the thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire?

The purpose of finding the thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire is to ensure that the wire is properly insulated and can safely conduct electricity without any risk of short circuits or electrical shocks.

2. How is the thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire determined?

The thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire is determined by measuring the diameter of the wire and calculating the required thickness based on the type of insulation material used and the voltage the wire will be carrying.

3. What factors affect the thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire?

The factors that affect the thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire include the type of insulation material used, the voltage and current ratings of the wire, the ambient temperature, and the desired level of protection against electrical hazards.

4. How does the thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire impact its performance?

The thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire directly affects its performance by providing insulation against electrical currents and protecting the wire from physical damage. A thicker insulation can also help reduce heat loss and improve the overall efficiency of the wire.

5. Are there any standards or regulations for the thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire?

Yes, there are various industry standards and regulations that specify the minimum thickness of rubber insulation for copper wire based on its intended use and the voltage it will be carrying. It is important to adhere to these standards to ensure the safety and reliability of the wire.