Solving for Acceleration and String Forces on Incline with Two Masses

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a physics problem involving two masses connected by ropes and a pulley on a frictionless ramp. The main issue is determining the correct equation for the sum of forces on each mass, taking into account the separate tensions in the ropes and the influence of the massless pulley. The conversation ends with the suggestion to consider the relationship between the two masses and the movement of the pulley.
stunner5000pt
Tension Problem Please help!

Ok so i got this question

Look at the attached diagram
Althoughin the diagram i drew it doesn't look like it , Mass 1 on the incline is heavier than Mass 2 and the accleration is to the left.

The ramp is frictionless and the strings and pulleys are assumed to be massless
Find the acceleration on m2 and the string forces.

Now normally i wouldn't have trouble iwht something like this but that extra pulley throws me off

normally i'd think for the sum of the forces on mass 1

[tex] M_{1}a = M_{1} g Sin \theta - T [/tex]
and
[tex] M_{2}a = T - M_{2} g [/tex]

this however does not yield the answer after i plugged in Mass 1 = 0.4kg, Mass 2 = 0.2kg, and Theta = 30 degrees.

COuld you perhaps point out where my mistake lies and point me in the right direction. How does that left pulley influence that motion.

For the left pulley considering the mass and pulley and the wall alone

[tex] M_{1} g - T = M_{1} a [/tex] and
T = reaction force of the wall??

Am i going off on a tangent, is this totally necessary for finding the acceleration on M2??

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two distinct ropes in this scenario. Each rope has its own tension call it T1 and T2. Realize that the tension of the ropes is the same throught the entire length of the rope (since this is an ideal situation).

Your mistake comes from assuming that the tension on M2 is the same as the tension on M1.. but they are two distinct ropes.

Set up FBD's for M1 and M2 keeping in mind that T1 does not necessarily equal T2.

hint: the acceleration of that pulley equals the acceleration of M2

edit: oops forgot the pulleys were massless so the FBD for the pulley doesn't help, but the rest still stands

Last edited:
acceleration constraint

stunner5000pt said:
normally i'd think for the sum of the forces on mass 1

[tex] M_{1}a = M_{1} g Sin \theta - T [/tex]
and
[tex] M_{2}a = T - M_{2} g [/tex]
Since the masses are connected by ropes and a pulley, their accelerations are related. You assume that they are equal. Rethink that assumption.

Hint: If [itex]M_1[/itex] slides a distance x down the ramp, how far does the pulley (and thus [itex]M_2[/itex]) slide down?

Edit: That's not your only mistake, as MathStudent points out: The ropes have different tensions.

Last edited:
hmm.. ok

so according to what mathstudent says then it would look something like this for the mass 1

[tex] M_{1} a_{1} = M_{1}g Sin \theta - T_{1} [/tex]
but what is T1?

So since the pulley is massless then the two tensions are equal, should they be because if the pulley had a mass

[tex] M_{p} = M_{p} g Sin \theta + 2T_{1} - T_{2} [/tex]
Something is wrong here isn't it ??

Last edited:
stunner5000pt said:
so according to what mathstudent says then it would look something like this for the mass 1

[tex] M_{1} a_{1} = M_{1}g Sin \theta - T_{1} [/tex]
but what is T1?
It's an unknown which you will solve for, just like T2 and acceleration.

So since the pulley is massless then the two tensions are equal, should they be because if the pulley had a mass

[tex] M_{p} = M_{p} g Sin \theta + T_{1} - T_{2} [/tex]
Something is wrong here isn't it ??
Yes, something is wrong: (1) the mass of the pulley is zero; (2) there are three rope segments exerting force on the pulley. (The tensions are not equal; but the net force on the pulley is zero.)

Doc Al said:
It's an unknown which you will solve for, just like T2 and acceleration.

Yes, something is wrong: (1) the mass of the pulley is zero; (2) there are three rope segments exerting force on the pulley. (The tensions are not equal; but the net force on the pulley is zero.)
I put a 2 in front of the T1 term for the rope does that make the difference??

stunner5000pt said:
I put a 2 in front of the T1 term for the rope does that make the difference??
Of course.

Doc Al said:
Of course.

So the 2 is correct?? Becuase the pulley feels 2 tensions in teh same direction due to the mass looping around it ?/

So then taht gives me

[tex] M_{1} a_{1} = M_{1} g Sin \theta - T_{1} [/tex]
[tex] M_{2} a_{2} = T_{2} - M_{2} g [/tex]
[tex] 2T_{1} = T_{2} [/tex]

But the solution for a1 and a2 is still impossible

Last edited:
stunner5000pt said:
So the 2 is correct?? Becuase the pulley feels 2 tensions in teh same direction due to the mass looping around it ?/
Yes, the 2 is correct. Picture an imaginary box enclosing the massless pulley: You'll see three ropes sticking out. Each rope exerts its tension on whatever is in the box. Since one rope loops around the pulley, it pulls twice. [itex]\Sigma F = 2T_1 - T_2 = m_{pulley}a = 0[/itex]. So: [itex]T_2 = 2T_1[/itex].

stunner5000pt said:
So then taht gives me

But the solution for a1 and a2 is still impossible
You give up too easily! :smile:

Follow my advice in post #3 and figure out the relationship between a1 and a2. (And be sure to use a consistent sign convention.)

i'm still here aren't i! :-p

anyway i was just thinking of what you posted last : if mass 1 moxed x metres down the ramp how far down will the pulley move and I'm ... baffled

i can certainly find the relationship between a1 and a2 as follows
[tex] a_{1} = g Sin\theta - \frac{2M_{2}g}{M_{1}} - \frac{2M_{2}a_{2}}{M_{1}} [/tex]

but if the mass 1 moved x down the ramp then ... the pulley would move half as much (just a guess there, I am not sure) please help

thank you

stunner5000pt said:
but if the mass 1 moved x down the ramp then ... the pulley would move half as much (just a guess there, I am not sure) please help
Exactly! So what does that tell you about how the two accelerations relate to each other?

Note: Guessing is OK to start. But don't stop there. Convince yourself that it's true by drawing the picture at two different points. (Or just play with a piece of string until you can visualize it.)

I see how that happens because the pulley will feel twice a tension force from the left and half as much on teh right so it will accelerate 1/2 as much as the mass 1 does because of the tension forces. SO then as a result of this happening

[tex]d = v t , v = at , d = at^2 [/tex]
for mass 1

[tex] x = a_{1} t^2 [/tex]
for the puller
[tex] \frac{x}{2} = a_{2} t^2 [/tex]

equating these two gets [tex] 2a_{2} = a_{1} [/tex]

so then i sub this into the earlier expression
[tex] a_{1} = g Sin\theta - \frac{2M_{2}g}{M_{1}} - \frac{2M_{2}a_{2}}{M_{1}} [/tex]

and i get [tex] 2a_{2} = \frac{g}{2} - g - a_{2} [/tex]
which yields a2 = -g/6 and the answer is the back of the book is g/9??
is there something else with the acceleration tht i have not accounted for ??

stunner5000pt said:

thank you

You're right on the money there. This might make it clearer :

[tex]x_1 = 2x_2[/tex] where the subscripts refer to mass 1 and 2 respectively.

Differentiating twice with respect to time,

[tex]\ddot{x_1} = 2\ddot{x_2}[/tex]

Does that tell you enough about the relationship of the accelerations ?

stunner5000pt said:
I see how that happens because the pulley will feel twice a tension force from the left and half as much on teh right so it will accelerate 1/2 as much as the mass 1 does because of the tension forces. SO then as a result of this happening

[tex]d = v t , v = at , d = at^2 [/tex]
for mass 1

[tex] x = a_{1} t^2 [/tex]
for the puller
[tex] \frac{x}{2} = a_{2} t^2 [/tex]

equating these two gets [tex] 2a_{2} = a_{1} [/tex]

so then i sub this into the earlier expression

and i get [tex] 2a_{2} = \frac{g}{2} - g - a_{2} [/tex]
which yields a2 = -g/6 and the answer is the back of the book is g/9??
is there something else with the acceleration tht i have not accounted for ??

I managed to get the book answer. Let us see your force equations. There should be two equations with two unknowns, the tension in the string attached to mass 2 and the acceleration of mass 2.

here are the force equations
for mass 1 on the left on the ramp

for the mass 2 on on the right

and the relationships between tension and accelerations
[tex] a_{1} = 2a_{2} [/tex]

finally got a2

i thank you for all the help you have given me really appreciate it :smile:

Related to Solving for Acceleration and String Forces on Incline with Two Masses

1. How do you calculate acceleration on an incline with two masses?

To calculate acceleration on an incline with two masses, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the two masses will have different accelerations, but the total force acting on both masses will be the same.

2. What is the formula for calculating string forces on an incline with two masses?

The formula for calculating string forces on an incline with two masses is based on the concept of tension, which is the force that a string exerts on an object. The formula is T = mg sinθ, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of incline.

3. How does the angle of incline affect the acceleration and string forces?

The angle of incline directly affects the acceleration and string forces in this scenario. As the angle of incline increases, the component of the force of gravity acting on the objects parallel to the incline also increases. This results in a larger acceleration and a larger tension force in the string. Conversely, as the angle of incline decreases, the acceleration and tension force will also decrease.

4. How do you take into account the mass of the string in this scenario?

In most cases, the mass of the string can be neglected when calculating the acceleration and string forces on an incline with two masses. This is because the mass of the string is typically much smaller than the masses of the objects on the incline. However, if the mass of the string is significant, it can be included in the calculations by adding it to the masses of the objects.

5. Can you use this method to solve for acceleration and string forces on any incline?

Yes, this method can be used to solve for acceleration and string forces on any incline, as long as the incline is at a constant angle and the objects are not accelerating in any other direction. However, if the incline is not at a constant angle or if there are external forces acting on the objects, additional calculations may be necessary.