Solving for Angle and Distance in Newton Mechanics Course | 2 Men on Icy Lake

• Thread starter ToHHoR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake
In summary: I can't follow how you proceeded in (c). Did you use K.E.? But using conservation of momentum I ended up with the same algebraic expression as you have for their speed after catching the ball.In summary, the two men threw the balls at the same time and at an angle of 14.17° to each other, with a speed of 10.0 m/s after they caught the balls.
ToHHoR

Homework Statement

Relevante for the problem::
- We are taking a course in Newton mechanicsTwo men, each of mass M = 75.0 kg find themselves standing on an icy lake, a distance d = 5.00 m apart. They each happen to carry a basketball, weighing m = 0.600 kg. In order to move, they get the clever idea of throwing the balls to each other. They throw with speed v = 10.0 m/s (both of them). Assume they throw at the same time.

a) With what angle should they throw, in order to hit the other guy? b) How far are the two guys apart, when they receive the balls?
c) What is their speeds after they receive the balls?

For each question, provide an algebraic expression, as well as a numerical result with appropriate units.
upload_2016-11-4_19-44-9.png

Homework Equations

Range equ. : D = (v(ball) * sin 2 theta)/ m
D = v(person) * t + d

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to calculate the time when the ball is in the air. For then to see how far the persons have traveled back before receiving the ball again. For then to use the range equ. to find the angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

As you may be aware, we can only provide hints to help you solve your problem. In order to do that we need to see your work.

Can you show us what you did to solve your problem and where you got stuck or got the wrong answer?

screenshot1.jpg
Hi, trying hard to get this picture out but hoping this will work.

All we want to know is; can we solve it the way we are thinking?

https://goo.gl/photos/pQZLW1HsU8inWVGZ6

[ Mod Note: google photos offers no direct link, so had to take a screenshot and have attached that ]

Last edited by a moderator:
:welcome:

Your eqn. for Vp2 is right.

Then you use but don't show the origin of the eqn.
##d\ =\ \frac{10.sin 2\theta}{m_b}\ \ ## Where did this come from?

Does your textbook provide the correct answers, so I can check my result?

Thank you!

The eqn. is the range eqn, for a flat surface. It was wrong, it should look like d = (vi2sin2*thetha)/mb

We don't have an answer..

Last edited:
ToHHoR said:
The eqn. is the range eqn, for a flat surface. It was wrong, it should look like d = (vi2sin2*thetha)/mb
An improvement, but I still don't like it. Have you looked at the units of this expression? Are you quoting it from somewhere or have you derived it and made a mistake because I'm sure that gravity should feature in any expression for range.

An improvement, but I still don't like it. Have you looked at the units of this expression? Are you quoting it from somewhere or have you derived it and made a mistake because I'm sure that gravity should feature in any expression for range.

Yes, NascentOxygen, it should be g, not mb.Think I worked out the solution now...

If I take 90 - 14,8 = 85,2.. is this the second solution?

IMG_20161110_124943.jpg
IMG_20161110_142728.jpg

Last edited:
If I take 90 - 14,8 = 75,2.. is this a second solution?

Last edited:
We have agreement on the expression for ##sin (2\theta)## but I evaluated ##\theta## to be 14.17°

I can't follow how you proceeded in (c). Did you use K.E.? But using conservation of momentum I ended up with the same algebraic expression as you have for their speed after catching the ball.

ToHHoR said:
If I take 90 - 14,8 = 75,2.. is this a second solution?
There often is a second parabolic path to consider in these types of questions. You could test your "guess", though guesses rarely turn out right.

Instead, go back to your expression for ##2\theta## and find another ##2\theta## angle having that same value for sine. Then test it.

1. Why do we need to get off the lake during a storm?

It is important to get off the lake during a storm because it is not safe to be on the water when there is lightning, high winds, and rough waters. These conditions can increase the risk of accidents and injuries.

2. Can't we just wait out the storm on the lake?

No, it is not safe to wait out a storm on the lake. Thunderstorms can move quickly and unexpectedly, and it is difficult to predict when the storm will pass. It is better to err on the side of caution and get off the lake as soon as possible.

3. How far away do we need to be from the lake during a storm?

It is recommended to be at least half a mile away from the lake during a storm. This distance will help reduce the risk of being struck by lightning, as well as give enough space to avoid any debris or rough waters.

4. What should we do if we are caught in a storm while on the lake?

If you are caught in a storm while on the lake, it is important to stay calm and get to shore as quickly as possible. If possible, head towards a dock or sheltered area. If you are unable to get to shore, crouch down in the center of the boat and avoid touching any metal objects.

5. Can we still go boating after a storm passes?

It is not recommended to go boating immediately after a storm passes. The water can still be rough and there may be debris or other hazards in the water. It is best to wait at least 30 minutes after the storm has passed before heading back out on the lake.