Solving for Average Acceleration: Slippery Road Skidding Car

In summary: I guess I was trying to find an alternative way to solve the problem. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car skidding on a slippery road and coming to a stop in 3.9 seconds. The goal is to determine the average acceleration in m/s^2 using a coordinate system with the x-axis in the direction of the car's initial motion and the y-axis toward the side of the road it skids towards. The initial velocity of the car is given as 80 km/h at a 30 degree angle. The conversation explores different methods of solving the problem, including decomposing the velocity into x and y components and finding the magnitude of acceleration required for each component to become zero in 3.9
negation

Homework Statement

Attempting to stop on a slippery road, a car moving at 80 km/h skids across the road at a 30 degree angle to its initial motion, coming to a stop in 3.9 s.

Determine the average acceleration in m/s^2, using a coordinate system with the x-axis in the direction of the car's original motion and the y-axis toward the side of the road to which the car skids.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a whole chunk of workings but they're aren't working out to give me a sensible answer.
Could someone give me a leg up?

0ms^-1 = 22.2ms^-1 + acos30°(3.9s)
a = -6.57ms^-2

vx = 22.2ms^-1 + (-6.57ms^-1 cos30)(3.9s)
vy = (-6.57ms^-1 sin30)(3.9s)

I square root the square of vx and vy to get the resultant, then, divide |v| by t = 3.9s but it's not yield -5.7ms^-1.

What is wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you even need a coordinate system here? Is that a requirement for this problem?

If so, none of your equations makes sense for me. If the initial velocity is at 30 degrees to the x axis, what are its x and y components?

Then, the final velocity must have zero x and y components. Determine the components of acceleration required for that.

voko said:
Why do you even need a coordinate system here? Is that a requirement for this problem?

If so, none of your equations makes sense for me. If the initial velocity is at 30 degrees to the x axis, what are its x and y components?

Then, the final velocity must have zero x and y components. Determine the components of acceleration required for that.

Isn't it the acceleration magnitude that is at 30 degrees to the x-axis?

ax = |a|cos30°
ay = |a|sin30°

"skids across the road at a 30 degree angle to its initial motion" is a condition on velocity.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
"skids across the road at a 30 degree angle to its initial motion" is a condition on velocity.

If so, then I've obtained the answer.

|a→| = Δv/Δt = [SQRT(22.2ms^-1 cos 30°)^2 + (22.2ms^-1 sin 30°)^2]/3.9s

|a→| = 5.7ms^-2
a→ = -5.7ms^-2

Look what you did. (1) You found the magnitude of velocity: 22.2 m/s. (2) Then you decomposed it into the x and y components. (3) Then you found the magnitude of velocity from the components. (4) Then you divided it by time.

Were steps (2) and (3) really required?

voko said:
Look what you did. (1) You found the magnitude of velocity: 22.2 m/s. (2) Then you decomposed it into the x and y components. (3) Then you found the magnitude of velocity from the components. (4) Then you divided it by time.

Were steps (2) and (3) really required?

It was not-22.2ms^-1/3.9s= 5.69ms^-1 - but doing so allows me to better appreciate what is going on.

Then I suggest something else.

Once you know the components of velocity, find what acceleration is required for each component to become zero in 3.9 s. This is a rephrasing of my post #2.

voko said:
Then I suggest something else.

Once you know the components of velocity, find what acceleration is required for each component to become zero in 3.9 s. This is a rephrasing of my post #2.

x-component of velocity = 19.22ms^-1
y-component of velocity = 11.1ms^-1

vxf = vxi +Δv = 22.2ms^-1 + 19.22ms^-1 = 41.42ms^-1
(my reasoning is based on the premise the initial velocity = 22.2ms^-1 but at the point at which p(0,0), the car skids at 30° to the x-axis with a velocity of magnitude 22.2ms^-1.

vyf = vyi + Δv = 0ms^-1 + 11.1ms^-1

|a→|x = Δvx/Δt = [vxf-vxi]/3.9s = -41.42ms^-1 / 3.9s = -10.6205ms^-2
|a→|y = Δvy/Δt = [vxf-vxi]/3.9s = -11.1ms^-1 / 3.9s = -2.846ms^-2

Again, the initial velocity is 80 km/h at 30 degree. You cannot count i t twice, it makes no sense.

voko said:
Again, the initial velocity is 80 km/h at 30 degree. You cannot count i t twice, it makes no sense.

I did contemplate about this quandary-and I'm sure you are right in your statement-but I was thinking along the line of 80kmh^-1 + velocity of 80kmh^-1 at 30 degree at the instantaneous moment when it skid to give vi...

otherwise,

(-19.22ms^-1 , -11.1ms^-1)/3.9s = (-4.9ms^-2 , -2.846ms^-2)

There is only one velocity at any given moment of time. If it is given to be 80 km/h at some angle, then its x component is 80 km/h times the cosine, and the y component is 80 km/h times the sine. You cannot say, oh, it was 80 km/h "straight" just a moment ago, let's add that to what it is now - because then you can just say, wait, it was some other value just one and a half moment ago, so let's add that as well - where do you stop in that sort of reasoning? One velocity at anyone time, plain and simple.

negation said:
otherwise,

(-19.22ms^-1 , -11.1ms^-1)/3.9s = (-4.9ms^-2 , -2.846ms^-2)

What magnitude of acceleration does that yield? Is that consistent with the other method?

voko said:
What magnitude of acceleration does that yield? Is that consistent with the other method?

Yes, this returns me the value 5.7ms^-2-consistent with the average acceleration.

Last edited:
voko said:
There is only one velocity at any given moment of time. If it is given to be 80 km/h at some angle, then its x component is 80 km/h times the cosine, and the y component is 80 km/h times the sine. You cannot say, oh, it was 80 km/h "straight" just a moment ago, let's add that to what it is now - because then you can just say, wait, it was some other value just one and a half moment ago, so let's add that as well - where do you stop in that sort of reasoning? One velocity at anyone time, plain and simple.

I anticipated this and was aware of the mathematical and logical implication..

1. What causes a car to skid while accelerating?

The main cause of a skidding car while accelerating is loss of traction between the tires and the road surface. This can be due to factors such as wet or icy roads, worn out tires, or excessive speed.

2. How does the acceleration of a car affect its ability to skid?

The acceleration of a car can increase the likelihood of skidding, as it puts more force on the tires and can cause them to lose traction. This is especially true in situations where the road conditions are less than ideal.

3. Can skidding be prevented while accelerating?

Skidding while accelerating can be prevented by practicing safe driving habits, such as maintaining a safe speed and avoiding harsh acceleration. It is also important to regularly check and maintain tire pressure and tread depth to ensure proper traction.

4. What should I do if my car starts to skid while accelerating?

If your car starts to skid while accelerating, it is important to stay calm and avoid any sudden movements. Release the accelerator and steer in the direction of the skid. Do not slam on the brakes, as this can make the skid worse. Once the car regains traction, gently accelerate and continue driving cautiously.

5. How can I improve my car's acceleration without increasing the risk of skidding?

To improve your car's acceleration without increasing the risk of skidding, make sure your tires are properly inflated and have enough tread. You can also consider upgrading to high-performance tires for better traction. Additionally, practicing smooth and gradual acceleration can also help prevent skidding.