Solving for D in a Confusing Matrix Equation | Invertible Matrices NxN

In summary: It is not hard to see $\lambda = 1$ is a root, since this leads to: $1 - 1 - 19 + 19 = 0$.In fact, $\lambda^3 - \lambda^2 - 19\lambda + 19 = (\lambda - 1)(\lambda^2 - 19)$ so we have two other eigenvalues as well: $\pm \sqrt{19}$.
das1
Solve the equation below for D. Assume that matrices A and B are both invertible and that all matrices are equivalently shaped as NxN (e.g., 3x3 ...).

Equation: ABDB-1 = I

Physics news on Phys.org
das said:
Solve the equation below for D. Assume that matrices A and B are both invertible and that all matrices are equivalently shaped as NxN (e.g., 3x3 ...).

Equation: ABDB-1 = I

Your equation doesn't make sense because a matrix minus a scalar has no meaning.

Whoops i copied and pasted that. The -1 should be an exponant

das said:
Whoops i copied and pasted that. The -1 should be an exponant

Asumming it should read $ABDB^{-1}=I$, post multiply by $B$, then pre multiply by $A^{-1}$ to get $BD=A^{-1}B$ Then pre multiply by $B^{-1}$ to get $D=B^{-1}A^{-1}B$.

Fermat said:
Asumming it should read $ABDB^{-1}=I$, post multiply by $B$, then pre multiply by $A^{-1}$ to get $BD=A^{-1}B$ Then pre multiply by $B^{-1}$ to get $D=B^{-1}A^{-1}B$.

Thanks a lot!

If you have a chance, I'm also really confused with this question:

"Show that λ = 1 an eigenvalue of matrix below. In addition, find one corresponding eigenvector.
The 3x3 matrix A is:
4 -2 3
0 -1 3
-1 2 -2
"

I know I'm supposed to find the determinant of the matrix that's λI3- A but I'm totally unable to factor it, i can't find any of the eigenvalues. Is there a quicker/easier way to do this because I keep getting tripped up.

das said:
Thanks a lot!

"Show that λ = 1 an eigenvalue of matrix below. In addition, find one corresponding eigenvector.
The 3x3 matrix A is:
4 -2 3
0 -1 3
-1 2 -2
"

I know I'm supposed to find the determinant of the matrix that's λI3- A but I'm totally unable to factor it, i can't find any of the eigenvalues. Is there a quicker/easier way to do this because I keep getting tripped up.

You have to show that the matrix has a fixed point $(x,y,z)$. If you write that out, you will be find that you need to find a solution to the system $3x-2y+3z=0$, $3z-2y=0$ and $-x+2y-3z=0$. From the second, we get $y=(3/2)z$. Substituting that into either of the two others gives $x=0$. So (0,3,2) is an eigenvector with eigenvalue 1

das said:
Thanks a lot!

The 3x3 matrix A is:
4 -2 3
0 -1 3
-1 2 -2
"

One typically uses the characteristic polynomial to FIND eigenvalues. If we already KNOW an eigenvalue $\lambda$, then we find eigenvectors by solving:

$(A - \lambda I)v = 0$.

In this case, that means solving:

$\left(\begin{bmatrix}4&2&-3\\0&-1&3\\-1&2&-2 \end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&1&0\\0&0&1 \end{bmatrix}\right) \begin{bmatrix}v_1\\v_2\\v_3 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

or:

$\begin{bmatrix}3&2&-3\\0&-2&3\\-1&2&-3 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}v_1\\v_2\\v_3 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

or:

$3v_1+2v_2-3v_3 = 0$

$-2v_2+3v_3 = 0$

$-v_1+2v_2-3v_3 = 0$

As in Fermat's post, it is easy to see that $v_2 = \frac{3}{2}v_3$, so that $v_1 = 0$ (by substitution, or just add equations 1 and 2). Letting $v_3 = 2$ gives one possible eigenvector as (0,3,2).

But, let's see (just for grins) what $\det(I - \lambda A)$ works out to be. The matrix in question is:

$\begin{bmatrix}\lambda-4&-2&3\\0&\lambda+1&-3\\1&-2&\lambda+2 \end{bmatrix}$

which has determinant:

$(\lambda-4)(\lambda+1)(\lambda+2) + 6 - 3(\lambda+1) - 6(\lambda-4)$

$= \lambda^3 - \lambda^2 - 10\lambda - 2 - 3\lambda - 3 - 6\lambda + 24$

$= \lambda^3 - \lambda^2 - 19\lambda + 19$

It is not hard to see $\lambda = 1$ is a root, since this leads to: $1 - 1 - 19 + 19 = 0$.

In fact, $\lambda^3 - \lambda^2 - 19\lambda + 19 = (\lambda - 1)(\lambda^2 - 19)$ so we have two other eigenvalues as well: $\pm \sqrt{19}$

Deveno said:
One typically uses the characteristic polynomial to FIND eigenvalues. If we already KNOW an eigenvalue $\lambda$, then we find eigenvectors by solving:

$(A - \lambda I)v = 0$.

In this case, that means solving:

$\left(\begin{bmatrix}4&2&-3\\0&-1&3\\-1&2&-2 \end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&1&0\\0&0&1 \end{bmatrix}\right) \begin{bmatrix}v_1\\v_2\\v_3 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

or:

$\begin{bmatrix}3&2&-3\\0&-2&3\\-1&2&-3 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}v_1\\v_2\\v_3 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

or:

$3v_1+2v_2-3v_3 = 0$

$-2v_2+3v_3 = 0$

$-v_1+2v_2-3v_3 = 0$

As in Fermat's post, it is easy to see that $v_2 = \frac{3}{2}v_3$, so that $v_1 = 0$ (by substitution, or just add equations 1 and 2). Letting $v_3 = 2$ gives one possible eigenvector as (0,3,2).

But, let's see (just for grins) what $\det(I - \lambda A)$ works out to be. The matrix in question is:

$\begin{bmatrix}\lambda-4&-2&3\\0&\lambda+1&-3\\1&-2&\lambda+2 \end{bmatrix}$

which has determinant:

$(\lambda-4)(\lambda+1)(\lambda+2) + 6 - 3(\lambda+1) - 6(\lambda-4)$

$= \lambda^3 - \lambda^2 - 10\lambda - 2 - 3\lambda - 3 - 6\lambda + 24$

$= \lambda^3 - \lambda^2 - 19\lambda + 19$

It is not hard to see $\lambda = 1$ is a root, since this leads to: $1 - 1 - 19 + 19 = 0$.

In fact, $\lambda^3 - \lambda^2 - 19\lambda + 19 = (\lambda - 1)(\lambda^2 - 19)$ so we have two other eigenvalues as well: $\pm \sqrt{19}$

This is great, thank you! I was trying to do way more than I needed for this one. That's some impressive factoring too!

What is a confusing matrix equation?

A confusing matrix equation is an equation that involves matrices and may be difficult to understand or solve due to its complexity or lack of clear instructions.

What are the components of a confusing matrix equation?

A confusing matrix equation typically includes matrices, variables, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How do I solve a confusing matrix equation?

To solve a confusing matrix equation, you can use various techniques such as row reduction, elimination, or substitution. It is important to follow the rules of matrix operations and simplify the equation as much as possible.

Why are matrix equations important in science?

Matrix equations are important in science because they can be used to represent and solve complex systems and relationships between variables. They are especially useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

Are there any resources available to help me better understand confusing matrix equations?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and educational videos that can help you understand and solve confusing matrix equations. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of matrix equations to improve your skills.