Solving for Forces and Acceleration in a Tarzan Vine Swing

In summary, the conversation discusses Tarzan swinging from a cliff using a vine and the resulting forces acting on him. The tension in the vine is initially 708 N and Tarzan's weight is 790 N. The force from the vine on Tarzan is 155 N in the horizontal direction and -314 N in the vertical direction. The net force acting on Tarzan is 350 N in magnitude, at an angle of 63.7 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Tarzan's acceleration is not provided in the conversation. The formula F=ma is used to calculate the forces, with Fx representing the horizontal force and Fy representing the vertical force. The length of the vine and the two forces,
MFlood7356
1. Tarzan, who weighs 790 N, swings from a cliff at the end of a 24.2 m vine that hangs from a high tree limb and initially makes an angle of 26.3° with the vertical. Assume that an x-axis points horizontally away from the cliff edge and a y-axis extends upward. Immediately after Tarzan steps off the cliff, the tension in the vine is 708 N. Just then, what are (a) the force from the vine on Tarzan in unit-vector notation, and (b) the net force acting on Tarzan in unit-vector notation? What are (c) the magnitude and (d) the direction (measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis) of the net force acting on Tarzan? What are (e) the magnitude and (f) the direction of Tarzan's acceleration?

2. F=ma Fx=ma-Fcos(theta) Fy=-Fsin(theta)

3. I really don't understand how to do any of these because the two forces and the length of the rope threw me off. I wasn't sure which force to use where. This is as much as I've done but I don't know what parts they relate to. I would really appreciate it if someone would help me:

Fx= 790N -708Ncos26.3= 155N
Fy = -708sin26.3= -314N
magnitude= SQRT1552+-3142= 350N
inversetan(-314N/155N)= -63.7 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me?

Related to Solving for Forces and Acceleration in a Tarzan Vine Swing

What is force and motion?

Force and motion refer to the relationship between the movement of an object and the forces acting upon it. Force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or decelerate, while motion is the change in position of an object over time.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Also known as the law of inertia, Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

What factors affect the amount of force needed to move an object?

The amount of force needed to move an object is affected by its mass and the acceleration it experiences. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to move it, and the greater the acceleration, the more force is needed to maintain its motion.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

What are some real-world examples of force and motion?

Some common examples of force and motion include throwing a ball, riding a bike, or pushing a shopping cart. In each of these situations, a force is applied to an object to cause it to move or change its motion.