Solving for Minimum point Excel

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the minimum value of the x and y components in plot (A), which was constructed using data points. The speaker is looking for a way to solve for the minimum point of the polynomial fit on the plot. They suggest using calculus or completing the square on the polynomial. The graph shown in the conversation is not the correct graph for the given polynomial.
Lane Dillon

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hello, I trying to solve for the minimum value that the x and y components reach in plot (A). I know that you can perform this using IgorPro but I would like to know how to solve for it using Excel.

upload_2017-5-9_23-57-29.png

The plot was constructed using the following data points:

110 0.177
115 0.093
120 0.033
125 0.006
130 0.007
135 0.04
140 0.101
145 0.186
150 0.272

As you can see there is a minimum x and y data point. However, I want to solve for the minimum point that the polynomial fit reaches.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Or, if you don't know calculus, you can just complete the square on your polynomial to figure out the minimum.
[Edit, added] The graph you show is not the correct graph for the polynomial you gave.

Last edited:

1. What is the minimum point in Excel and why is it important?

The minimum point in Excel refers to the lowest value in a data set or in a specific range of cells. It is important because it allows you to quickly identify the smallest value in your data and make informed decisions based on that information.

2. How do I find the minimum point in Excel?

To find the minimum point in Excel, you can use the MIN function. This function allows you to select a range of cells and it will return the smallest value in that range. Alternatively, you can use the MINIFS function to find the minimum value based on specific criteria.

3. Can I use Excel to solve for the minimum point in a mathematical equation?

Yes, Excel has a built-in function called MINVERSE that allows you to solve for the minimum point of a mathematical equation. This function requires you to enter the coefficients of the equation as an array, and it will return the values for the minimum point.

4. How can I use the minimum point in Excel to analyze my data?

The minimum point in Excel can be used to analyze your data in a few ways. For example, you can use it to find the lowest price or cost in a set of data, to identify the smallest value in a range of numbers, or to determine the minimum value in a data set for a specific category or group.

5. Is there a way to visualize the minimum point in Excel?

Yes, you can use a variety of charts and graphs in Excel to visualize the minimum point in your data. For example, a line chart or scatter plot can show the trend of your data and highlight the minimum point. You can also use conditional formatting to highlight the cell with the minimum value and make it stand out in your data set.