Solving for Spring Compression with a Vertical Spring and Hanging Block

• Thread starter Anthonyphy2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the spring will compress 0.109m when you lower the block to the point where you can remove your hand without disturbing it. It will also compress 0.109m when you let go of the block suddenly.
Anthonyphy2013

Homework Statement

A vertical spring with k = 490 N/m is standing on the ground. You are holding a 5.0 kg block just above the spring, not quite touching it.

The first question asks "How far does the spring compress if you slowly lower the block to the point where you can remove your hand without disturbing it?
The answer is easy...0.109m

the part I can't figure out is the second part of the question "How far does the spring compress if you let go of the block suddenly?

What is the pan's distance from the ceiling when the spring reaches its maximum length?

Homework Equations

1/2 kx^2 = 1/2mv^2 , mgh=Fsp=-kdelta(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

1st question : mgh=Fsp=-kdelta(x)
I got wrong for that question and I use the conservation of energy equation and I got it right . My question is how I know to use the energy eqaution on the first question and use net force to use the second question

Physics news on Phys.org
Anthonyphy2013 said:
1st question : mgh=Fsp=-kdelta(x)

This equation does not make any sense dimensionally: you have units of energy one the left, units of force on the right, I have no idea units of what in the middle. What equation did you really use to solve #1?

Anthonyphy2013 said:
My question is how I know to use the energy eqaution on the first question and use net force to use the second question
Do you mean that the other way around?
The first question is a statics question. It concerns a system which is at rest, so you can use the statics equations of force. Yo cannot use energy because clearly energy has been lost.
In the second question, you can assume energy is conserved. But now things are dynamic (the system is not in equilibrium), so you cannot use static equilibrium equations.

#1 : I use static equilibrium , I use mg=-kdeltax and my answer is 0.1 m and the book said that as 0.2 and then I use energy conservation to solve #1 , which is 1/2 kx^2 = mgh and I got 0.2 which is matched with the solution on book.
Plus: mgh=Fsp=-kdelta(x) and the middle one is the restoring for of the ideal spring.

Anthonyphy2013 said:
#1 : I use static equilibrium , I use mg=-kdeltax and my answer is 0.1 m and the book said that as 0.2
then you are right and the book is wrong
and then I use energy conservation to solve #1 , which is 1/2 kx^2 = mgh and I got 0.2 which is matched with the solution on book.
You mean to solve #2, right?
Plus: mgh=Fsp=-kdelta(x) and the middle one is the restoring for of the ideal spring.
As voko pointed out, that equation makes no sense. mgh is energy, kΔx is a force. Fsp, I'm guessing, means the restoring force from the spring. If so, Fsp = -kΔx is correct, but (for #1) it should be mg = Fsp, not mgh.

that means # 1 is to consider the net force .My question for # 2 is to mean the dynamic equilibrium , how could that possible ?

Anthonyphy2013 said:
that means # 1 is to consider the net force .My question for # 2 is to mean the dynamic equilibrium , how could that possible ?

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Anthonyphy2013 said:
A vertical spring with k = 490 N/m is standing on the ground. You are holding a 5.0 kg block just above the spring, not quite touching it.
:
:
<snip>
:
:​
What is the pan's distance from the ceiling when the spring reaches its maximum length?
Isn't there a contradiction here? Either that or we need to know the floor to ceiling distance for the room (and the problem becomes trivial!).

Related to Solving for Spring Compression with a Vertical Spring and Hanging Block

1. How do you calculate the spring constant for a vertical spring?

The spring constant, or stiffness, of a vertical spring can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting change in length of the spring. This can be represented by the equation: k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the change in length.

2. What is the equation for calculating the compression of a vertical spring?

The compression of a vertical spring can be calculated by using the equation: x = F/k, where x is the compression of the spring, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant.

3. How does the weight of the hanging block affect the compression of the spring?

The weight of the hanging block has a direct impact on the compression of the spring. As the weight of the block increases, the applied force on the spring also increases, resulting in a greater compression of the spring.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of solving for spring compression with a vertical spring and hanging block?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of solving for spring compression include variations in the spring material, changes in temperature, and external forces acting on the spring.

5. Can the spring constant and compression of a vertical spring be measured experimentally?

Yes, the spring constant and compression of a vertical spring can be measured experimentally by conducting tests where different forces are applied to the spring and the resulting change in length is recorded. This data can then be used to calculate the spring constant and compression using the aforementioned equations.