Solving for Vout: Challenging Lab Problems

• Thread starter hogrampage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the student is trying to find the value of ω₀ and is trying to find the frequency of a bandpass filter.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

I am not sure why our professor is making us do labs that are 6 chapters above where we are, but here it is:

Compute Vout if Vin has an amplitude of 1V and a phase shift of 0 degrees.

Homework Equations

V=RI
V=jωLI
V=[itex]\frac{1}{jωC}[/itex]I
ω=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ω = 15811 rad/s
Vin = 1[itex]e^{j(15811)}[/itex]

KVL: Vout = [itex]e^{j(15811)}[/itex] - jωLIm[itex]e^{j(15811)}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{jωC}[/itex]Im[itex]e^{j(15811)}[/itex]

First of all, is that right? Second, I have no idea where to go from that (if it's right).

Attachments

• bandpass.jpg
    bandpass.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that frequency from?
Your final answer should be in the same terms as the problem was described. In this case, "Vout has an amplitude of ______ and a phase _____."

hogrampage said:
V=RI
V=jωLI
V=[itex]\frac{1}{jωC}[/itex]I
It is a series circuit, so the current is common to all elements. Determine the voltage across R, and divide it by the voltage across all 3 elements, to get Vo/Vin.

Simon Bridge said:
Where did you get that frequency from?
Your final answer should be in the same terms as the problem was described. In this case, "Vout has an amplitude of ______ and a phase _____."

Voltage division:

Vout = [itex]\frac{R}{R+jωL+\frac{1}{jωC}}[/itex]Vin

Is that correct? Also, my value for ω seems awfully high. Am I using the wrong formula for it?

The imaginary terms in the denominator can be grouped, and the denominator expressed as:

R + j(...)

Then convert from this complex number to polar form (as magnitude and angle).

What about my value for ω? It just doesn't seem right (it's really high). I mean, maybe it is correct, I've just never seen a frequency that high in previous labs.

I found Vout to be 1∠0°, so it's the same as Vin.

Is that right?

Last edited:
hogrampage said:
What about my value for ω? It just doesn't seem right (it's really high). I mean, maybe it is correct, I've just never seen a frequency that high in previous labs.
It's an audio frequency, so is manageable. :smile:

I found Vout to be 1∠0°, so it's the same as Vin.

Is that right?
No. Vout is dependent on frequency, it is a function of frequency.

I don't understand. Most of the stuff cancels out, so I get Vin:

Vout = [itex]\frac{R*V_{in}}{R+jωL-\frac{j}{ωC}}[/itex][itex]\frac{R-j(ωL-\frac{1}{ωC})}{R-j(ωL-\frac{1}{ωC})}[/itex]

Vout = [itex]\frac{V_{in}R(R-j(ωL+\frac{1}{ωC})}{R(R+ωL-\frac{1}{ωC})}[/itex]

Since ωL - [itex]\frac{1}{ωC}[/itex] = 0,

Vout = [itex]\frac{V_{in}R}{R}[/itex]

Vout = Vin

Or, would Vout be this instead?:

Vout = e[itex]^{j(15811t)}[/itex]

Thanks

Okay, so I tried this again:

Vout = [itex]\frac{R∠0°}{\sqrt{R^{2}+(ωL-\frac{1}{ωC})^{2}}∠tan^{-1}(\frac{ωL-\frac{1}{ωC}}{R})}[/itex]

Is that right? lol

Obviously, I would plug in the values for R, L, and C. So, if I want the voltage at, say, 1000Hz, I just plug that into ω.

That's close. You have an angle in the numerator, and an angle in the denominator—these can be combined into one angle in the numerator.

You have determined that at the resonant frequency, this bandpass filter has a gain of unity. (At other frequencies, you would find it has a gain < 1, otherwise it's not doing the job of a bandpass filter. :frown: )

Probably advisable to also express ω₀ in Hertz.

If this is preparation for lab work, consider plotting v₀/vᵢ for a range of frequencies below and above ω₀, and also plot ɸ vs. f so that you know what to be looking for in your lab measurements.

Related to Solving for Vout: Challenging Lab Problems

1. What is the purpose of solving for Vout?

The purpose of solving for Vout is to determine the output voltage of a circuit or system. This is important in understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit, and can be used to troubleshoot any issues or optimize the design.

2. What are some common challenges when solving for Vout?

Some common challenges when solving for Vout include complex circuit configurations, lack of accurate measurements or data, and unexpected variations in component behavior. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the circuit before attempting to solve for Vout.

3. What techniques can be used to solve for Vout?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve for Vout, depending on the complexity of the circuit. These include Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits, and various analysis methods such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis.

4. How can errors be minimized when solving for Vout?

To minimize errors when solving for Vout, it is important to use accurate and precise measurements, double check calculations, and consider the impact of non-ideal components such as resistors with tolerances. It can also be helpful to break down the circuit into smaller, simpler parts to make the analysis more manageable.

5. Can software or calculators be used to solve for Vout?

Yes, there are various software programs and online calculators that can be used to solve for Vout. These tools can save time and reduce the chances of human error, but it is still important to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles and techniques used in solving for Vout.