Statics of Rigid Bodies - Why is the normal force not considered?

Nova_Chr0n0
Homework Statement
6–67. Determine the force that the smooth roller C exerts
on member AB. Also, what are the horizontal and vertical
components of reaction at pin A? Neglect the weight of the
frame and roller.
Relevant Equations
Equilibrium Equations
The problem is from Hibeller's book, Mechanics: Statics and attached below is the picture of the problem:

1700821107597.png

My question about this problem is about the FBD of the reactions. Here is how I drew it:

1700821364702.png

But when I tried checking the solution for the problem, they have this as their FBD:

1700821514445.png

My question is, why did they not include the Normal force created by the roller? Is it not considered as a reaction for the whole figure? I think I'm missing an important concept here and it confuses me. This topic is Frames and Machines.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Nova_Chr0n0, Lnewqban and erobz
Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdetermined_system

Resolving external forces with three available equations (summation of external forces and moments) is the first step.
With those values, you can calculate the internal forces and moments in any armature, frame, truss or mechanism.

For practical purpose, you could weld that roller to member AB, and both members at pin B, without modifying the shown conditions.
Its normal force can be considered an internal force of the whole mechanism.

Note that a Dy reactive force is needed to keep the static equilibrium.
You could simplify the "body" to a single member being wedged against the vertical surface by the applied clockwise moment (like shown below).
Dy is preventing the body from rotating about pivot A.

Dx will induce a moment on member BDC about pin B, which will translate into the roller normal force that you have mentioned (which will be a bending load on member AB).

As you can see, we need to calculate the chain reaction step by step, beginning with reaction forces at B and D.

4274BBF9-0A0A-4B68-A171-284D21BCC142.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes Nova_Chr0n0 and DeBangis21
Sorry, I am really slow to catch up, so I need more clarification. My current understanding, based on the explanation, is that:

The normal force produced by the roller is considered an internal force and not an external force. Is it because the roller is part of the whole figure and therefore its normal force is not considered an external one? Here is what I'm thinking right now: Consider a box and a surface:
1700895154043.png

Here, the box is the figure and is experiencing a normal force. This normal force is exerted by the surface (which is a different figure that is not being examined) and not the box, so is it considered an external force?

In the figure I've shown, the red colors are an external object to the figure (highlighted as yellow) and are therefore considered an external force?

1700895393957.png

Likes Lnewqban
Nova_Chr0n0 said:
This normal force is exerted by the surface (which is a different figure that is not being examined) and not the box, so is it considered an external force?
Yes

Nova_Chr0n0 said:
In the figure I've shown, the red colors are an external object to the figure (highlighted as yellow) and are therefore considered an external force?
Yes

• Informative
Likes Nova_Chr0n0

1. Why is the normal force not considered in statics of rigid bodies?

The normal force is not considered in statics of rigid bodies because it is a reactive force that only comes into play when an object is in contact with another surface. In statics, we are analyzing the forces acting on a body while it is at rest, so the normal force is not relevant as there is no motion or acceleration.

2. Can the normal force be ignored in all statics problems?

No, the normal force cannot be ignored in all statics problems. While it may not be relevant in some cases, it is still an important force to consider in situations where an object is in contact with another surface and there is a possibility of motion or acceleration.

3. How is the normal force different from other forces in statics?

The normal force is different from other forces in statics because it is a reaction force that arises due to the contact between two surfaces. Other forces, such as gravity or applied forces, are independent of contact and act on the object regardless of its surroundings.

4. What happens to the normal force when an object is on an inclined plane?

When an object is on an inclined plane, the normal force is still present. However, it is no longer perpendicular to the surface as it is when the object is on a horizontal surface. The normal force now acts at an angle equal to the angle of inclination, in order to balance out the component of gravity pulling the object down the incline.

5. Is the normal force always equal to the weight of the object?

No, the normal force is not always equal to the weight of the object. In most cases, the normal force is equal and opposite to the weight of the object, but there are situations where the normal force may be greater or less than the weight. For example, if an object is on an inclined plane, the normal force will be less than the weight due to the component of gravity pulling the object down the incline.