Solving for x: Clearing Fractions or Finding Common Denominator?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dethrone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary: The solution you get is $x = -\frac12 \pm \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$, which you will have to check in any case. So I would do it the quick way this time, but keep in mind that it's not always the best strategy.
Dethrone
Given:

$$\frac{x-2}{x-5}>\frac{x-3}{x-4}$$

How I would normally solve it is to bring everything over to one side and find a common denominator. The answer of which is $x>5$

Now a commentary on this question says to "watch out" for sign changes if you multiply both sides by an expression, so I decided to try it out:

If $x>4$:
$$\frac{(x-2)(x-4)}{x-5}>x-3$$

If $x>5$ and $x>4$:
$$(x-2)(x-4)>(x-3)(x-5)$$

Solving gives us $x>5$, which is the same as above.

Question: Is it just a lucky coincidence that the restriction I applied on the second step $x>4$ just HAPPENED to SATISFY our answer, or could the answer have been say $x<3$ and dividing both sides would have eliminated that solution?

Question 2:

$$\frac{1}{x-2}=\frac{3}{x+2}-\frac{6x}{(x+2)(x-2)}$$

To begin this problem, would you attempt to "clear the fraction" by multiplying by (x-2)(x+2)? I always get paranoid about doing it, because it introduces the solution $x=\pm 2$, which you will then have to replug back into the original equation to confirm, right?

Would attempting to find a common denominator and bring everything to one side be a smarter approach? Or should just clearing the fraction, which is much faster, be preferred? It's just that the latter requires that you resubstitute back into the original equation, whereas the former doesn't require resubstitution. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
Given:

How I would normally solve it is to bring everything over to one side and find a common denominator. The answer of which is $x>5$

Now a commentary on this question says to "watch out" for sign changes if you multiply both sides by an expression, so I decided to try it out:

If $x>4$:
$$\frac{(x-2)(x-4)}{x-5}>x-3$$

If $x>5$ and $x>4$:
$$(x-2)(x-4)>(x-3)(x-5)$$

Solving gives us $x>5$, which is the same as above.

Question: Is it just a lucky coincidence that the restriction I applied on the second step $x>4$ just HAPPENED to SATISFY our answer, or could the answer have been say $x<3$ and dividing both sides would have eliminated that solution?

What You're saying is true in part. Assuming x <4 the inequality is verified for $\frac{7}{2} < x <4$ ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Rido12 said:
Given:

How I would normally solve it is to bring everything over to one side and find a common denominator.
I think that this is definitely the safest strategy. In this case, you would get $$\frac{x-2}{x-5} - \frac{x-3}{x-4} > 0,$$ $$\frac{(x-2)(x-4) - (x-3)(x-5)}{(x-4)(x-5)} > 0,$$ $$\frac{2x-7}{(x-4)(x-5)} > 0.$$ That expression changes sign when any of the linear factors in the numerator or denominator changes sign, telling you that the critical points are when $x = \frac72,\ 4,\ 5$ (as chisigma has pointed out).

Rido12 said:
Question 2:

$$\frac{1}{x-2}=\frac{3}{x+2}-\frac{6x}{(x+2)(x-2)}$$

To begin this problem, would you attempt to "clear the fraction" by multiplying by (x-2)(x+2)? I always get paranoid about doing it, because it introduces the solution $x=\pm 2$, which you will then have to replug back into the original equation to confirm, right?
This is an equation rather than an inequality, so in this case there is nothing to be lost by multiplying by $(x-2)(x+2)$ (except that you have to remember that $x=\pm 2$ cannot be solutions).

Related to Solving for x: Clearing Fractions or Finding Common Denominator?

What is a fraction?

A fraction is a numerical quantity that is written in the form of one integer (the numerator) divided by another integer (the denominator), separated by a horizontal line. For example, 1/2 is a fraction where 1 is the numerator and 2 is the denominator.

What is the purpose of clearing fractions in solving for x?

Clearing fractions is necessary in solving for x because it helps simplify the equation and makes it easier to find the value of x. Fractions can make equations more complicated and difficult to solve, so clearing them allows us to work with whole numbers and integers instead.

How do you clear fractions in an equation?

To clear fractions in an equation, you need to find the common denominator of all the fractions in the equation. Then, multiply both sides of the equation by this common denominator. This will eliminate all fractions and leave you with a simpler equation to solve for x.

Can you solve for x without clearing fractions?

It is possible to solve for x without clearing fractions, but it can make the process more complicated and time-consuming. It is generally recommended to clear fractions to make the equation easier to work with and to avoid potential errors in the solution.

What are some tips for finding the common denominator in an equation?

One tip for finding the common denominator is to prime factorize all the denominators and then find the highest common factor (HCF). Another tip is to multiply the denominators together, but this may result in a larger number that can be more difficult to work with. It is also helpful to simplify fractions first before finding the common denominator.