Solving an equation that contains the floor function

• I
  • Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: and a\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{a}{b}} \rfloor = a\lfloor \frac{r(c+1)}{1+r} \rfloor \leq ar\lfloor \frac{(c+1)+1}{1+r} \rfloor =b\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{b}{a}} \rfloor + b ##c=a## is not allowed since it makes the denominator zero.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Let suppose I have three positive integers ##a, b,c## and one unknown ##x## (##x## is also a positive integer). Solve for the smallest ##x## that satisfies this equation$$\left \lfloor\frac{x}{a} \right\rfloor + \left \lfloor \frac{x}{b} \right\rfloor \geq c$$

where ##\lfloor x\rfloor## is the [floor function][1]

For instance let ##a = 1##, ##b=1## and ##c=5## in this case

$$\left \lfloor x \right\rfloor + \left \lfloor x \right\rfloor \geq 5$$

here the smallest ##x## is ##3##.

For another case, if ##a=3## and ##b=5## and ##c=4## we obtain

$$\left \lfloor\frac{x}{3} \right\rfloor + \left \lfloor \frac{x}{5} \right\rfloor \geq 4$$

here the smallest ##x## is ##9##

My question is, can we find the smallest ##x## exactly ?

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_and_ceiling_functions

Likes Delta2
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
My question is, can we find the smallest ##x## exactly ?
Sure, you provided two examples already. There is only a finite number of values to consider and it's trivial to check if a given x is the solution, so obviously we can always find the smallest x.

Without rounding and without limiting the solution to integers, you would get x=c/(1/a+1/b). If you round that down and plug it into the original expression then the left side will be at most 4 smaller than c and it will be at most c (you can probably do a more refined analysis and set a tighter lower limit).

The terms on the left side only increase if x is a multiple of a and b, so you can go up in the multiples of these until the left side reaches c.
That's a constant time algorithm to find the smallest x.

By the relataion
[tex]x\ mod\ a=x-a\lfloor \frac{x}{a} \rfloor[/tex]
We can rewrite the equation as
[tex] x \geq \frac{a(x\ mod\ b)+b(x\ mod\ a)+abc}{a+b}...(1)[/tex]
As for RHS of the equation
[tex]\frac{abc}{a+b}\leq RHS \leq \frac{a(b-1)+b(a-1)+abc}{a+b}[/tex]
We get rough estimation of x.

For examples of OP
For a=1,b=1,c=5
[tex]\frac{5}{2} \leq RHS \leq \frac{5}{2}[/tex]
##x_{min}=3##

For a=3, b=5,c=4
[tex]7.\ ..\leq RHS \leq 10.\ ..[/tex]
Candidates of ##x_{min}=\{8,9,10,11\}##. From the smallest number 8, we start checking whether it satisfies (1) , if not stepping the number up, to find ##x_{min}=9##. The procedure is easily programmable.

Last edited:
[tex]f(x):=\lfloor \frac{x}{a} \rfloor +\lfloor \frac{x}{b} \rfloor -c[/tex]
f(x) increases with x. We may state the equation
[tex]f(x-1)f(x) \leq 0[/tex]
where
[tex]f(x-1)\neq 0, <0[/tex]

Last edited:
The merit is to get unique solution in comparison with multiple candidates as mentioned in my post #3. f(x) is the smallest plus means f(x-1) is minus. I admit it becomes more complicated equation.

I don't see the advantage over saying "the smallest one" like in post 1. It's just "the smallest one" put into an equation that you still need to evaluate for every x to find the smallest one.

x must be a multiple of a or b, that's helping a lot for larger a,b. In your second example in post 3, only 9 and 10 are candidates that need to be checked.

Likes anuttarasammyak
f(x) defined in #4 is monotonous increasing function. If we find a solution ##x_0## of
##f(x)f(x-1) \leq 0##, is it enough to pay attention not to every x but x around ##x_0##, e.g.
##[x_0- max[a,b],x_0+ max[a,b]]## ?

ex. a=b=100,c=2
##f(1)=f(2)=...=f(99)=-2##
##f(100)=f(101)=...=f(199)=0##, 100 smallest solutions.

Last edited:
You are still trying different x in some range just as before.

x/a or x/b will be an integer at the minimal x and [x/a]+[x/b] can only increase by 0,1 or 2 when we increase x by 1. That means ##c \leq \frac x a + \frac x b \leq c+1##. This is a better restriction on the range. ##\frac{c}{1/a+1/b} \leq x \leq \frac{c+1}{1/a+1/b}##.

Let's get rid of double fractions:
##\frac{abc}{a+b} \leq x \leq \frac{ab(c+1)}{a+b} = \frac{abc}{a+b} + \frac{ab}{a+b}##
If x is a multiple of a, then write x=ka and divide everything by a:
##\frac{bc}{a+b} \leq k \leq \frac{bc}{a+b} + \frac{b}{a+b}##
As ##\frac{b}{a+b}## is smaller than 1 we only need to investigate a single element (a single multiple of a).
If x is a multiple of b, then write x=lb and divide everything by b:
##\frac{ac}{a+b} \leq l \leq \frac{ac}{a+b} + \frac{a}{a+b}##
As ##\frac{a}{a+b}## is smaller than 1 we only need to investigate a single element (a single multiple of b).

That's two elements to study as possible smallest x. And we have direct formulas to get these two elements as integers between (in general) non-integer boundaries. That's all we need.

Edit: These elements need to be the largest integers smaller than or matching the upper bound.

$$x_1 = a \lfloor \frac{b(c+1)}{a+b}\rfloor$$
$$x_2 = b \lfloor \frac{a(c+1)}{a+b}\rfloor$$
One of these two will be the answer.

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
I see. I say x that f(x) takes the smallest positive value. You say the smallest x that f(x)>0. Since f(x) is monotonous function they are different only in degeneration. In the case of #8 I have 100 solutions and you have only one x=100. The equation of #4 together with ##f(x-1)\neq0## gives the solution you say.

The equation requires
[tex]x \mod a = 0[/tex] or [tex]x \mod b=0[/tex]
Say ##x \mod a =0## and ##x=na##
[tex]c \leq n+\lfloor \frac{na}{b} \rfloor < c+1[/tex]
[tex]\lfloor n+\frac{na}{b} \rfloor =c [/tex]
[tex]\frac{c}{1+\frac{a}{b}} \leq n < \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{a}{b}}[/tex]
For positive n to exist
[tex]1+\frac{a}{b}\leq c[/tex]
Only one integer is allowed in the region since ##\frac{1} {1+\frac{a}{b}}<1##,
[tex]n=\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{a}{b}} \rfloor[/tex]
[tex]x=a\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{a}{b}} \rfloor[/tex]

Let ## a \leq b,r=\frac{b}{a} \geq 1 ##.
we get the solution:
For ##c<\frac{b}{a} ##, [tex]a\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{a}{b}} \rfloor[/tex]
For ##\frac{b}{a}\leq c##
[tex]\min [a\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{a}{b}} \rfloor, b\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{b}{a}} \rfloor ] =b\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{b}{a}} \rfloor[/tex]
Because
[tex]a\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{a}{b}} \rfloor = a\lfloor \frac{r(c+1)}{1+r} \rfloor \geq ar\lfloor \frac{(c+1)}{1+r} \rfloor =b\lfloor \frac{c+1}{1+\frac{b}{a}} \rfloor [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the floor function in an equation?

The floor function, denoted as ⌊x⌋, is a mathematical function that rounds a given number down to the nearest integer. For example, ⌊3.5⌋ = 3 and ⌊-2.8⌋ = -3.

2. How do I solve an equation that contains the floor function?

To solve an equation with the floor function, you can follow these steps:

1. Simplify the equation as much as possible without using the floor function.
  2. Isolate the floor function on one side of the equation.
  3. Find the possible values of the expression inside the floor function.
  4. Test each possible value in the original equation to see which one satisfies the equation.

3. Can the floor function be applied to variables?

Yes, the floor function can be applied to variables. For example, ⌊x + 2⌋ = 5 has solutions for x = 3, 4, 5, and 6.

4. What happens when the number inside the floor function is already an integer?

If the number inside the floor function is already an integer, then the floor function has no effect on it. For example, ⌊5⌋ = 5.

5. Are there any other functions similar to the floor function?

Yes, there are other functions that are similar to the floor function, such as the ceiling function (⌈x⌉), which rounds a number up to the nearest integer, and the round function (⌊x⌉), which rounds a number to the nearest integer. However, these functions have different behaviors for negative numbers compared to the floor function.