Solving for x-Displacement of a Rolling Ball on an Inclined Track

In summary, the metal ball has a velocity of 60 cm/s at an angle of 25 degrees below the horizontal on a track with a weight of 65 grams and a height of 76.15 cm from the floor. Using the equations for displacement and velocity, the total x displacement of the ball is found to be -20 cm, indicating a negative direction. The correct setup of the equations is necessary to obtain the correct value for time and displacement.
goodz

Homework Statement

a track is inclined in such way that the velocity of the metal ball is 60 cm/s at 25 degree below the horizontal. mathematically determine the total x displacement of the metal ball.

weight of ball: 65grams
height from floor to the end of the track: 76.15cm
velocity of the ball is 60.cm/s at 25 degree

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]y =Vo*t - .5 1/2gt^2
Vx = Vox + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to find time.
-76.15 = .5*-9.8t^2
t=.394s
deltaX = .6m/s*cos(-25).3942 + .5(-9.8).3942^2
i got delta X to be -54.7cm

is it suppose to be negative?

Could someone help me set this up right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi goodz, welcome to Pf.
In the y direction the initial velocity is not equal to zero.
And in the x direction there is no acceleration.

I think i got it.
first i needed to get the velocity using v^2 = VoSin(-25)^2 - 2(-9.8).7615
v = 3.87m/s
then to get time,
3.87 = .6Sin(-25)-(-9.8)t
t=.4207

Last edited:
goodz said:
I think i got it.
first i needed to get the velocity using v^2 = VoSin(-25)^2 - 2(-9.8).7615
v = 3.87m/s
then to get time,
3.87 = .6Sin(-25)-(-9.8)t
t=.4207
If you take down as negative v, vi and g are all negative. So check the value of t.

are you saying .6m should be negative?

goodz said:
are you saying .6m should be negative?
Allare positive or negative.
The equation should be
v = vosin(25) + gt.

3.87 = .6(sin25)+9.8t
t=.369s

x= voCos25t
x=.6cos25(.369)
x=.20m

1. How do you calculate the x-displacement of a rolling ball on an inclined track?

The x-displacement can be calculated using the formula: x = d*cosθ, where x is the displacement, d is the distance traveled by the ball, and θ is the angle of the inclined track.

2. What is the difference between a rolling ball and a sliding ball on an inclined track?

A rolling ball has both translational and rotational motion, while a sliding ball only has translational motion. This affects the calculation of x-displacement as it takes into account the rotation of the ball.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect the x-displacement?

The mass of the ball does not affect the x-displacement as it only depends on the distance traveled and the angle of the inclined track. However, a heavier ball may have a greater force of friction acting on it, which could affect its overall motion.

4. Can the x-displacement be negative?

Yes, the x-displacement can be negative if the ball is moving in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis. This can happen if the initial velocity of the ball is in the negative x-direction or if the angle of the inclined track is greater than 90 degrees.

5. How can the x-displacement of a rolling ball on an inclined track be used in real-world scenarios?

The x-displacement can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a rolling ball on an inclined track in various real-world scenarios, such as in physics experiments or in designing roller coasters. It can also be used to determine the position and motion of objects on inclined surfaces, such as a ball rolling down a hill.