Solving for X When it Appears Twice

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dowarner
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the regular hourly rate (x) for an employee who needs to earn a known weekly salary (c) based on the number of hours worked at two different rates (regular hours at x and overtime hours at 1.5x). This can be solved by isolating for x in the equation (ax+1.5bx=c) and using the known values of a, b, and c.
Dowarner
I've run into my first real life algebra problem and my high school algebra memory isn't cutting it.

Here's the problem:

To fit budget, an employee of a company needs to earn a known weekly salary (c)
The company's boss needs to calculate the employee's regular hourly rate (x) based on the number of hours they work in the week to get to that salary
Hours are worked at two different rates, however. Regular hours (a) are worked at the rate of "x" and overtime hours are worked at "1.5x".

This leaves us with the equation of:
(a*x) + (b*1.5x)=c

I need to isolate for x as a,b and c are all known.

Please help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Dowarner and welcome to MHB! :D

Your problem appears to be set up correctly. Here's what I have for your request:

$$ax+1.5bx=c$$

$$x(a+1.5b)=c$$

$$x=\frac{c}{a+1.5b}$$

1. How do I solve for x when it appears twice in an equation?

To solve for x when it appears twice in an equation, you will need to use the distributive property to combine like terms. This will help you simplify the equation and isolate the variable on one side. Then, you can use inverse operations to solve for x.

2. What is the distributive property and how does it help in solving for x when it appears twice?

The distributive property states that when a number is multiplied by a sum, you can distribute the multiplication to each term inside the parentheses. This helps in solving for x when it appears twice because it allows you to combine like terms and simplify the equation.

3. Can I solve for x when it appears twice without using the distributive property?

No, in most cases, you will need to use the distributive property to solve for x when it appears twice. This is because it allows you to simplify the equation and isolate the variable on one side before using inverse operations to solve for x.

4. Are there any other strategies for solving for x when it appears twice?

Yes, there are other strategies that can be used to solve for x when it appears twice. One option is to factor the equation and use the zero product property to find the solutions. Another option is to use substitution or elimination to solve the system of equations formed by the x terms and constants.

5. Can I solve for x when it appears twice in a word problem?

Yes, the same strategies used to solve for x when it appears twice in an equation can also be applied to word problems. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information and equations in the word problem before using any strategy to solve for x.