How to Calculate Power and Energy Usage for a TV and Clothes Dryer

In summary, the conversation discusses completing a table for the weekly energy cost and power rating of a TV and clothes dryer. The table includes columns for force, distance, work, time, and power. The equation for work is given as force divided by distance, while power is calculated by dividing work by time. The yearly running cost is represented by the symbol Y and is equal to the energy rating (E) multiplied by the cost of electricity (c). The last two columns in the table represent the estimate of hours of use per week and the power, which can be calculated using the energy per week and the power calculated in the last row.
ElegantSir

Homework Statement

"Complete the weekly energy cost and power rating of a TV and clothes dryer by completing the table that follows."

The table is presented in the thumbnail

Homework Equations

work = force / distance
power = work / time

Y = E * c
-Y is the yearly running cost
-E in the EnerGuide energy rating per year
-c is the cost of electricity per kW/h

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive done the first 4 columns of the chart and I know how to solve the last one (By using the p = w * t equation) Problem is...I have no idea how to calculate the "estimate of hours of use per week." I've been multiplying and dividing the number of hours per week by about anything I can think of but I am not coming up with the correct answer. If anyone can point me in a direction as to what I need to be calculating the help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S This table was the answer given to us for the example question. The last 2 columns are unfinished on my personal table

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
Try getting the estimate of hours per week by using the
E per week and the power calculated in the last row

I can't do that because I don't know the power yet. Like I stated The last 2 columns on my chart are empty and i can't calculate power without the time first.

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J).

2. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or the amount of energy transferred per unit of time. It is measured in watts (W) or joules per second (J/s).

3. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is a measure of the amount of energy transferred to an object, while power is the rate at which that energy is transferred. In other words, work measures the quantity of energy, while power measures the speed at which energy is transferred.

4. How are work, power, and energy related?

Work is the transfer of energy, power is the rate at which that energy is transferred, and energy is the ability to do work. In other words, work and power are measures of energy, and energy is the underlying concept connecting the two.

5. How is energy conserved in a system?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant over time, regardless of any changes in work or power. Energy can be transformed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed.