Solving for y: e^(y) = y^(2) - 2

In summary: So for example for the next iteration i.e. x1 = -1.491644195 (say), you press "=" to get -1.491644191 (say), and so on!It quickly converges to the two solutions of the equation, to as many decimal places as you like.
flyingfishcattle

Homework Statement

Hi
I am having trouble solving for y for the following equation:
e^(y) = y^(2) - 2

Homework Equations

ln(x)^(y) = y*ln(x)
ln(e^(y)) = y
ln(2) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
e^(y) = y^(2) -2
ln(e^(y)) = ln(y^(2)) - ln(2)
y = 2*ln(y) - 1
y - 2*ln(y) + 1 = 0 <--- stuck here

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingfishcattle said:

Homework Statement

Hi
I am having trouble solving for y for the following equation:
e^(y) = y^(2) - 2

Homework Equations

ln(x)^(y) = y*ln(x)
ln(e^(y)) = y
ln(2) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
e^(y) = y^(2) -2
ln(e^(y)) = ln(y^(2)) - ln(2)
y = 2*ln(y) - 1
y - 2*ln(y) + 1 = 0 <--- stuck here

Any help would be appreciated
Hello flyingfishcattle . :welcome:

You have some mistakes:
  1. ln(2) ≠ 1 . In fact, what is true: ln(e) = 1, also ln(2) ≅ 0.693 as well as log2(2) = 1 .
  2. In general, ln(A − B) ≠ ln(A) − ln(B) . Specifically, ln(y^(2) − 2) ≠ ln(y^(2)) − ln(2) .
Equations such as this cannot be solved in closed form using standard functions. This equation should be solved using something like numerical or graphical methods.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/yfsfflsspq
Two functions: ##e^x## and ##x^2-2##
It should only have an approximated answer,rather than an definitive one( like ##\sqrt2##).Geogebra and my graphing calculator also says that.

A decimal approximation is -1.491644195.

This cannot be solved analytically.
You have to use an approximation.

For example, you can take the approximation (taylor series) of e^y = 1 + y + y^2/2
Then you will have 0 = y^2 - 2y - 6, and can solve for y.
You will get -1.6458 which is approaching the correct answer. To get more correct, include more terms from the taylor series.

Likes YoungPhysicist and DaveE
DuckAmuck said:
This cannot be solved analytically.
You have to use an approximation.

For example, you can take the approximation (taylor series) of e^y = 1 + y + y^2/2
Then you will have 0 = y^2 - 2y - 6, and can solve for y.
You will get -1.6458 which is approaching the correct answer. To get more correct, include more terms from the taylor series.
If you are going to do it essentially "by hand", it's much more efficient to just use a couple of iterations of Newton's method.

LCKurtz said:
If you are going to do it essentially "by hand", it's much more efficient to just use a couple of iterations of Newton's method.
The first approximation using the 3 term Taylor expansion will be 1 - √7 which you can punch into the calculator. Thereafter you can very easily set up the Newton Rhapson iteration on any scientific calculator having an 'ANS' button (just about all of them!):

$$ANS - \frac{e^{ANS}-{ANS}^2+2}{e^{ANS}-2 \times ANS}$$

Just keep pressing the "=" sign for continuing iterations!

Likes DuckAmuck

1. What does solving for y mean in this equation?

Solving for y means finding the value or values of y that make the equation true. In other words, we are looking for the solutions to the equation e^(y) = y^(2) - 2.

2. Is there more than one solution for this equation?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions for this equation. In fact, there are two real solutions and two complex solutions.

3. How can I solve this equation?

There are several methods for solving this equation, including graphing, using a calculator, or using algebraic techniques such as factoring or the quadratic formula.

4. Why does this equation involve the number e?

The number e, also known as Euler's number, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is often used in equations involving exponential growth or decay, which is why it appears in this equation.

5. Can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

Yes, you can check your answer by plugging it into the original equation and seeing if it makes the equation true. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see where they intersect.