In my approach (using a right angled triangle) i let,

##\cos^{-1} x = C## ⇒##\cos C = \sqrt{1-y^2}##

and

##\cos^{-1} y= A## ⇒ ##\cos A= \sqrt{1-x^2}##

Also, ##A+C = \dfrac{π}{2}##

and ##\cos \dfrac{π}{2}= 0##

##xy - \sqrt{(y^2) ⋅(x^2)}=xy-xy=0##

It follows that,

##\cos^{-1} [xy - \sqrt{(1-x^2)(1-y^2)}]= \cos^{-1}[ xy - \sqrt{(y^2) ⋅(x^2)}]##

##=\cos^{-1} (xy - \sqrt{y^2}⋅ \sqrt{x^2})=\cos^{-1} (xy-xy)=\cos^{-1} (0)= \dfrac{π}{2}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Cos of the LHS =
[tex]\cos(\cos^{-1}x+\cos^{-1}y)=\cos(\cos^{-1}x)\cos(\cos^{-1}y)-\sin(\cos^{-1}x)\sin(\cos^{-1}y)[/tex]
[tex]=xy-\sqrt{1-x^2}\sqrt{1-y^2}[/tex]

Likes chwala and SammyS
chwala said:
Homework Statement: See attached.
Relevant Equations: Trigonometry

View attachment 331694In my approach (using a right angled triangle) i let,

##\cos^{-1} x = C## ⇒##\cos C = \sqrt{1-y^2}##

and

##\cos^{-1} y= A## ⇒ ##\cos A= \sqrt{1-x^2}##

Also, ##A+C = \dfrac{π}{2}##
You seem to be assuming that ##\displaystyle x^2+y^2=1 \, , \ ## as if ##(x,\, y) \ ## is an ordered pair on the unit circle. That assumption is not necessary.

If ## \displaystyle \cos^{-1} x = C \, , \ ## then ##\displaystyle \cos C = x \ ## and ##\displaystyle \sin C = \sqrt{ 1-x^2} \ . \ ##

etc.

See Post #2 by @anuttarasammyak .

Last edited:
Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
Cos of the LHS =
[tex]\cos(\cos^{-1}x+\cos^{-1}y)=\cos(\cos^{-1}x)\cos(\cos^{-1}y)-\sin(\cos^{-1}x)\sin(\cos^{-1}y)[/tex]
[tex]=xy-\sqrt{1-x^2}\sqrt{1-y^2}[/tex]
ok i see the logic now

##\cos(A+B)=\cos A \cos B - \sin A \sin B##.

Cheers Man!

1. What is the problem involving ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y##?

The problem involves finding the value of ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y##, where x and y are variables representing angles in radians.

2. How do you solve the problem involving ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y##?

To solve the problem, you can use the trigonometric identity ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y = \cos^{-1} (xy - \sqrt{(1-x^2)(1-y^2)})##. This identity can be derived from the sum-to-product identities for cosine.

3. What are the possible values of ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y##?

The possible values of ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y## range from 0 to ##\pi## radians, or 0 to 180 degrees. This is because the range of the inverse cosine function is ##[0, \pi]##.

4. Can the problem involving ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y## have multiple solutions?

Yes, the problem can have multiple solutions. This is because the inverse cosine function is a periodic function with a period of 2##\pi## radians. Therefore, there may be multiple combinations of x and y that result in the same value for ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y##.

5. How is the problem involving ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y## relevant in real-world applications?

The problem involving ##\cos^{-1} x + \cos^{-1}y## is relevant in many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the total resistance of resistors in a circuit or the resultant force of two vectors. It can also be used in navigation and surveying, where angles and distances need to be calculated.