Solving Force Exerted by Liquid Using Archimedes Principle

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a physics problem involving Archimedes' Principle. There is a disagreement about whether the force due to gauge pressure should be considered or not, and ultimately it is determined that it should not be included in the calculations. The final solution involves integrating the pressure over the upper surface of the hemisphere and taking the limit as the fluid density approaches zero.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=15ea7968da996c50b7915ccd9282f046.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying Archimedes priniciple the force exerted by liquid on the upper hemisphere would be ## F = \frac{2}{3}\pi R^3 \rho g## .

Now I am not sure , what does it mean by force due to gauge pressure ?

Any help is appreciated .

Thanks .

Attachments

• liquid.PNG
    liquid.PNG
    38.9 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
Applying Archimedes priniciple the force exerted by liquid on the upper hemisphere would be ## F = \frac{2}{3}\pi R^3 \rho g## .

Now I am not sure , what does it mean by force due to gauge pressure ?

Any help is appreciated .

Thanks .
Your calculated force would not be correct unless the bottom of the hemisphere were immersed in fluid, which it is not. The only way I could think of to get the net (downward) force exerted by the fluid on the upper hemisphere was to integrate the pressure (including its vectorial direction of the pressure at the surface) over the upper surface. This gave me one of the four answers in the choices. But it was the force due to the total pressure, not the gauge pressure. I think they meant to say the force due to the total pressure in the problem statement. Otherwise, the P0 shouldn't be in there at all.

Chet

Likes Vibhor
I would just like to add that the gauge pressure is the difference between the absolute pressure and a reference pressure. So, for example, gauge pressure in this problem could be ## P - P_0 ##. I also could not think of another way to solve this problem, by the way - I had to do it the way Chet did!

Chestermiller said:
Your calculated force would not be correct unless the bottom of the hemisphere were immersed in fluid, which it is not.
Chet

Thanks for replying Sir .

Are you suggesting that Archimedes Principle cannot be applied since the sphere rests on the surface at the bottom ?

In the attached figure consider a circular strip of width ##Rdθ## at an angle θ to the horizontal ( the horizontal line at a height R from the bottom) .

The area of the strip is ##2\pi R^2 cos\theta dθ##

Pressure at this strip is ##P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)##

Force due to liquid at this pressure will be ##[P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)][2\pi R^2 cos\theta dθ]## .

But we should only consider the vertical component of this force which would be given by ##[P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)][2\pi R^2 cos\theta sin\theta dθ]##

##\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}[P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)][2\pi R^2 cos\theta sin\theta dθ] = \frac{\pi R^2}{3}[3P_0+7\rho Rg]## .

Is this what you are getting ?

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
Thanks for replying Sir .

Are you suggesting that Archimedes Principle cannot be applied since the sphere rests on the surface at the bottom ?
No. I'm saying that Archimedes Principle cannot be applied to the upper hemisphere because it is not fully immersed in the surrounding fluid. Its bottom surface is in contact with the lower hemisphere, not surrounding fluid.

Chet

Likes Vibhor
Update: You can check your final answer for the force if you take the limit as ## g \rightarrow 0 ##.

Likes Vibhor and Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
No. I'm saying that Archimedes Principle cannot be applied to the upper hemisphere because it is not fully immersed in the surrounding fluid. Its bottom surface is in contact with the lower hemisphere, not surrounding fluid.

Chet
Can we calculate force due to liquid on the whole sphere using Archimedes Principle considering the fact that the sphere rests on the bottom surface (the sphere is not completely immersed in water as bottomost point is touching the container)?

Vibhor said:
Can we calculate force due to liquid on the whole sphere using Archimedes Principle considering the fact that the sphere rests on the bottom surface (the sphere is not completely immersed in water as bottomost point is touching the container)?
The contact is only at a single geometric point, so this doesn't affect the force that the surrounding fluid exerts on the ball.

Chet

Likes Vibhor
Vibhor said:
In the attached figure consider a circular strip of width ##Rdθ## at an angle θ to the horizontal ( the horizontal line at a height R from the bottom) .

The area of the strip is ##2\pi R^2 cos\theta dθ##

Pressure at this strip is ##P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)##

Force due to liquid at this pressure will be ##[P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)][2\pi R^2 cos\theta dθ]## .

But we should only consider the vertical component of this force which would be given by ##[P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)][2\pi R^2 cos\theta sin\theta dθ]##

##\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}[P_0 + \rho g(3R-Rsin\theta)][2\pi R^2 cos\theta sin\theta dθ] = \frac{\pi R^2}{3}[3P_0+7\rho Rg]## .

Is this what you are getting ?
Yes. Nice job.

Geofleur said:
Update: You can check your final answer for the force if you take the limit as ## g \rightarrow 0 ##.
Yes. This is a really cute trick. With this trick, you can eliminate 3 of the choices immediately.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The contact is only at a single geometric point, so this doesn't affect the force that the surrounding fluid exerts on the ball.

Chet
So upward force due to fluid on whole sphere would be ##\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3 \rho g## ?

Chestermiller said:
Yes. This is a really cute trick. With this trick, you can eliminate 3 of the choices immediately.

Chet
Is this a check of what would happen if the container were in a free fall ?

I had in mind to consider the same problem far from any source of gravity, so that ## g = 0 ##. But, according to the equivalence principle of general relativity, a free fall frame locally amounts to the same thing!

Likes Vibhor
I had in mind the case where ρ = 0.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I had in mind the case where ρ = 0.

Chet
Sorry I did not understand what you are conveying . In addition , could you respond to post#12 ?

Vibhor said:
So upward force due to fluid on whole sphere would be ##\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3 \rho g## ?
Yes.

Likes Vibhor
Vibhor said:
Sorry I did not understand what you are conveying . In addition , could you respond to post#12 ?
What I'm saying is that, in the limit as the fluid density approaches zero, the pressure around the ball becomes spatially uniform, and equal to the atmospheric pressure. Under these circumstances, the downward force on the hemisphere is just equal to the atmospheric pressure times the projected area πr2.

Chet

Likes Vibhor

1. What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle states that the buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

2. How is the force exerted by a liquid calculated using Archimedes Principle?

The force exerted by a liquid can be calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid, the volume of the displaced liquid, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What units are used to measure the force exerted by a liquid?

The force exerted by a liquid is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

4. Is the force exerted by a liquid the same for all objects regardless of their shape or size?

No, the force exerted by a liquid depends on the volume of the object and the density of the liquid. Objects with larger volumes and higher densities will experience a greater force.

5. How is the force exerted by a liquid affected by the depth of immersion?

The force exerted by a liquid increases with the depth of immersion. This is because the volume of the displaced liquid increases with depth, resulting in a greater buoyant force.