Solving Groups: Proving AB is Solvable w/ A Normal in G

• Thread starter bham10246
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving solvable subgroups in a group G. The idea is to use a chain of normal subgroups in A and B to prove that AB is solvable. There is a question about the abelian quotient of (A_{i+1}B)/(A_iB) and a suggestion to use the fundamental isomorphism theorem. The correctness of the construction B=1*B=A_0 B \triangleleft A_1 B \triangleleft ... \triangleleft A_k B = AB is also questioned.
bham10246
I've been working on this problem and I need just a small hint.

Let [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] be solvable subgroups of a group [itex]G[/itex] and suppose that [itex]A\triangleleft G [/itex]. Prove that [itex]AB[/itex] is solvable.

My idea:

So we have a chain of normal subgroups of A so that their quotient is abelian. We also have a chain of normal subgroups of B so that their quotient is abelian. Since A is normal in G, should I multiply the normal subgroups [itex]A_i[/itex] in A by B to obtain [itex]B=1*B=A_0 B \triangleleft A_1 B \triangleleft ... \triangleleft A_k B = AB[/itex], but how do we know that [itex](A_{i+1}B)/(A_i B)[/itex] is abelian?

If I understand this one thing, then I think I can finish the rest of the proof. Thank you!

This is a right approach, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
somehow i am tempted to use the fundamental isomorphism theorem about

the structure of (AB)/A.

Thanks, I'll try that. I thought that the above construction [itex]B=1*B=A_0 B \triangleleft A_1 B \triangleleft ... \triangleleft A_k B = AB[/itex] is correct but I'm not even sure that [itex]A_i B[/itex] is normal in [itex]A_{i+1}B[/itex]?!

Related to Solving Groups: Proving AB is Solvable w/ A Normal in G

1. What does it mean for a group to be solvable?

A group is considered solvable if it can be broken down into a sequence of subgroups, with each subgroup being normal in the previous subgroups, until the final subgroup is the trivial subgroup (containing only the identity element). This process is known as the solvable series.

2. What does it mean for a subgroup to be normal in a group?

A subgroup is normal in a group if it is invariant under conjugation by elements of the group. In other words, if the subgroup remains unchanged when its elements are multiplied or inverted by any element in the group.

3. How do you prove that a group is solvable?

To prove that a group is solvable, you must show that it can be broken down into a solvable series as described above. This can be done by finding a sequence of normal subgroups that lead to the trivial subgroup, or by using other methods such as the solvability criteria.

4. What is the significance of proving that AB is solvable with A normal in G?

Proving that AB is solvable with A normal in G is significant because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of the group G. It also provides insight into the behavior of other groups that have similar properties.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that a group is solvable?

Yes, there are other methods for proving that a group is solvable, such as the solvability criteria, which uses the structure of the group to determine if it is solvable. Another method is the Schreier refinement algorithm, which is an iterative process for constructing a solvable series for a group.